Without the 22nd Amendment, which presidents would have run for a third term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:27:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Without the 22nd Amendment, which presidents would have run for a third term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which two-term presidents would have run for a third term in the absence of the 22nd Amendment?
Eisenhower

Reagan

Clinton

Bush

Obama

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Without the 22nd Amendment, which presidents would have run for a third term?  (Read 1370 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2016, 04:11:48 PM »
« edited: June 10, 2016, 04:17:46 PM by Simfan34 »

It is one of the great ironies of history that the 22nd Amendment, introduced by the Republicans to forestall the possibility of another FDR being elected for four terms, has until now served to scupper the potential ambitions of Republican presidents; that is changing, with Clinton and Obama ending their terms relatively popular.

But I actually don't think any President since would have run for a third term even if they could have. I imagine someone's asked this question before, and I even wonder if I have myself, but I'm curious as to what you think. Here's my breakdown:

Truman-- was able to run again, chose not to
Eisenhower-- Health issues probably would have preempted a bid for a third term, also would have probably simply been disinterested in another term; from what I've read, in 1956 he already was happy enough to leave most of the campaigning to Nixon.
Kennedy--Assassinated
LBJ-- Declined reelection
Nixon-- Resigned
Ford-- Lost reelection
Carter-- Lost reelection
Reagan-- Even if you accept the official position that his Alzheimers was undiagnosed until after he left office, there were already clear health issues recognized semi-publicly which would have ruled out another term, if not by his administration's own admission, then at least by public opinion
Bush the Elder-- Lost reelection
Clinton-- Admittedly, he left office popular, but this seems to me to have at least partly been a sort of early post-presidency popularity boost. His absence from much of the 2000 campaign testifies to the degree to which many, even in his own party, saw him as a liability rather than an asset. Heck, going by how they talk about Bill today it's clear many in Clinton-land still see him as a liability. So I suspect that any desire to run again would have been gently scuppered if for no the reason than to prevent him from destroying Hillary's chances at advancing her own political career.
Bush the Younger-- Obviously far too unpopular to even think about it. Probably would have been primaried had he tried, actually.
Obama-- From his public comments he has zero desire to stay in office for even a day after January 20, 2017-- as evidenced by interviews and especially his speech to the African Union. However I fully concede that these comments are made in a world where a third term is an impossibility and thus probably hasn't been seriously considered. He would have probably felt at least a little obligated to step aside for Hillary, especially considering 2008, but maybe explicit demand for a third Obama term would have pushed Biden to run on a continuity platform. Still, I think Obama would stay out. But he could have been urged to make a comeback in 2020 after Hillary's approvals tank (remember: they're already in the tank)

Ultimately, I believe, the two term custom would have retained considerable weight in presidential decisions, even after FDR broke the tradition-- it would have (and is) probably been rationalized as an exception given the dual exceptional circumstances of the Great Depression. There'd be something of a standard requiring presidents to "prove" that circumstances justified their bid for a third term. If nothing else, the fact that of all the Presidents who could have done so, just two sought third terms.

But what do you think?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »

Only Clinton.
AuH2O Republican
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 04:30:39 PM »

I think the thing with Eisenhower was that he changed his mind so often. One minute he was prepared to drop everything in 1956, the next minute he was all guns blazing and ready to go.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 04:44:07 PM »

Didn't Obama say that he wouldn't?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 06:14:17 PM »

Maybe Eisenhower.
Reagan, for sure.
Clinton, for sure.
Obama, No.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 06:24:55 PM »

I know Obama said that if he could run for a third term, he thinks he's win easily. Not the same as actually saying he would do it. Anyway, I think Clinton and Obama would attempt, but that's my opinion.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 06:56:09 PM »

Eisenhower could have been convinced to. If he had, I think Kennedy wouldn't have ran.

Besides Eisenhower, Obama seems the second most likely to have ran. He is pretty ambitious. If he hadn't, he probably would have tried to convince Biden or a similar very close ally of his to run.

Clinton is the third most likely to have ran, though Bush is pretty close. In late 2007, Bush was only mildly unpopular. Clinton was in a similar situation in late 1999. Besides those four, I don't see Reagan running for a third term.

I voted Eisenhower and Obama.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »

The ghost of Reagan runs for a third term every four years already.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »

The ghost of Reagan runs for a third term every four years already.

It isn't so much the ghost of Reagan as a horrifying abomination that some people believe represents Ronald Reagan, who Reagan would never want to be tied to if he were still living.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 09:24:27 PM »

Maybe Bush, definitely Obama. Clinton and Reagan wouldn't have run.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 09:33:22 PM »

Clinton almost certainly
Obama maybe 60% chance
Reagan maybe 40% chance
Eisenhower maybe 20% chance
Bush almost certainly not
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 05:01:07 AM »

Nixon would have a hundred percent without Watergate (or without Watergate exposed).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies