Does the Electoral College help or hurt Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:07:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does the Electoral College help or hurt Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
The Electoral College helps Trump

The Electoral College hurts Trump

The Electoral College has no impact on his chances.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Does the Electoral College help or hurt Trump?  (Read 1660 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:00:24 AM »

As crazy as it may sound, I think it helps him. 
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 11:01:07 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2016, 11:02:48 AM by RR1997 »

Helps him

There's a very high chance that Donald Trump wins the electoral college but loses the popular vote.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »

Helps him

There's a very high chance that Donald Trump wins the electoral college but loses the popular vote.
RJEvans
MasterRegal
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 11:30:05 AM »

Helps him

If that happens again, I have to say, I think the SC will step in and abolish the EC, especially if Clinton wins by a decent margin. I can definitely see Roberts and Kennedy joining the liberal judges in that decision given 1) the disaster that was Bush and the controversy surrounding that 2) the divisive rhetoric that Trump has undertaken 3) denying the first woman popularly elected as President will not go down so well.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 11:34:05 AM »

Helps him

If that happens again, I have to say, I think the SC will step in and abolish the EC, especially if Clinton wins by a decent margin. I can definitely see Roberts and Kennedy joining the liberal judges in that decision given 1) the disaster that was Bush and the controversy surrounding that 2) the divisive rhetoric that Trump has undertaken 3) denying the first woman popularly elected as President will not go down so well.

The EC is specifically laid out in the Constitution.  How can the SCOTUS change this?
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 01:23:16 PM »

Helps him

The EC is specifically laid out in the Constitution.  How can the SCOTUS change this?

Yeah if the EC was abolished it wouldn't be done through the Supreme Court, that makes no sense at all.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »

As crazy as it may sound, I think it helps him. 

I agree. In all honesty, as each year passes and we and the world slowly become more and more "liberal," the electoral college (vs the popular vote) will always be the only chance the Republicans have, if and only if the election is very close.
In tight races, I can see the Republicans winning the electoral college, but losing the popular vote, time and again.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »

No, because he's going to get blown out. So I would say it hurts him.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 01:51:42 PM »

I don't think it will have a big impact. I certainly don't think the chances of a split are high, and if either candidate wins the PV by more than 1%, I'm very confident that that candidate will also win the EC.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 02:31:16 PM »

Helps him

That's not how any of that works. The EC can't be held unconstitutional because it's explicitly set forth in the Constitution. Out of curiosity, on what grounds do you see the Court reaching that holding?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 02:34:01 PM »

It helps him if the early state vs. general polls are any indication.  People tend to think that the EC favors the Democrats just because it did in 2012, but it tends to go back and forth over time (see: 2000).  Actually, it theoretically should slightly favor the GOP in the long run because of Republican strength in small states, which are slightly over-represented in the EC.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 02:35:44 PM »

No, because he's going to get blown out. So I would say it hurts him.

Agreed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »

Too early to tell.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »

I doubt it dramatically helps or hurts either candidate. 
dspNY
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 06:06:50 PM »

No real impact on his chances because he will lose decisively
Curbstomp
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 06:12:19 PM »

The Electoral College needs to have votes based on congressional district. That way both candidates would have to win over the entire country.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »

The Electoral College needs to have votes based on congressional district. That way both candidates would have to win over the entire country.

This is a bad idea and you should feel bad.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 06:30:12 PM »

Helps him

But the way of allocating the EVs is not laid out.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 06:52:07 PM »

Nope.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2016, 06:54:23 PM »

Nope.

Given how awfully gerrymandered CDs are, that's even worse than winner-take-all statewide distribution.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2016, 07:10:31 PM »

Helps him

True, and having a statewide popular election at all is a pretty big step up from what the founders intended the range of options there to include haha. But I take your point; I suppose one could get creative and argue something to the effect that the equal protection clause now requires states to do something more proportional with the allocation of their electoral votes. But the Constitution does lay out how electoral votes are apportioned between the states (Number of senators plus number of representatives), and that doesn't actually lend itself well to proportional representation within the state. A small state's 3 EVs just aren't going to divide up nicely. And as you pointed out already, allocation by congressional district isn't better. The EC just seems like a pretty explicit exception that you can't apply things like "one person, one vote" to (that argument actually has been tried in District Court. It didn't get far).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2016, 07:22:09 PM »

Nope.

Given how awfully gerrymandered CDs are, that's even worse than winner-take-all statewide distribution.

The one upside is there would be so much outrage from this it would probably be enough to eventually end gerrymandering, but yeah, the horrible effects in the interim would certainly not be worth it.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »

It helps, like it helps the nominee of any rural party.

MT, ID, NE, SD, ND, KS et al.

Not that that's a bad thing. Dems need to step up their game in rural America.
Desroko
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 12:16:34 AM »

Helps him

The EC is specifically laid out in the Constitution.  How can the SCOTUS change this?

States have plenary power to select electors,* as long as those electors are not federal officeholders. The Court doesn't have grounds to change that.

*Which, out of all the defects in the current Constitution, might be the most dangerous.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »

It helps him if the early state vs. general polls are any indication.  People tend to think that the EC favors the Democrats just because it did in 2012, but it tends to go back and forth over time (see: 2000).  Actually, it theoretically should slightly favor the GOP in the long run because of Republican strength in small states, which are slightly over-represented in the EC.

Not sure what you're basing this on. Parties switch back and forth on electoral college advantages over time because certain state-level trends put critical states into one party or the other's column over time. The GOP had an EC advantage at one point, and now the Democrats have developed one now. So far, all the newest swing states have been traditionally red states that began moving towards Democrats. Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado, Florida and in the not-so-distant future, Georgia and Arizona. Pretty much no blue wall states have trended significantly towards Republicans, and voting patterns of young adults in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania do not suggest a GOP trend. That is, assuming they hold, which they have been for decade(s) now. So the GOP has basically been bleeding states over the past generation while Democrats have held their own, moreor less.

Trump has no advantage in the EC right now. His standing is looking pretty bad, actually.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies