Siren's Senate Office (Virginia City, NV): Thanks for all the Fish
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:21:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Siren's Senate Office (Virginia City, NV): Thanks for all the Fish
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Siren's Senate Office (Virginia City, NV): Thanks for all the Fish  (Read 11749 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »

Hi Kingpoleon.  Thanks for letting me know.  I admit I haven't heard about this before, and I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Can be you a little more specific?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 06:49:50 PM »

Hi Kingpoleon.  Thanks for letting me know.  I admit I haven't heard about this before, and I'm not quite sure what you mean.  Can be you a little more specific?

I have relatives who were in the foster system. They had a child for two years who would normally be eligible for adoption. However, the tribe in the Northwest had the rights to him, and he was brought there by his grandparents.

His mother is a known drunk who frequently throws bottles, chairs, and etc. at her parents' house, where the child is. However, after the tribal judge ruled she could never have custody of her child, she just went to the local judge. The local judge did not research for any previous trials and granted unsupervised custody to her every weekend. Now the child is endangered every weekend simply because your regional human services department, which also is apparently unbeliably slow and inefficient, has little to no authority over tribes or Native Atlasians and their children.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 07:45:42 PM »

I have relatives who were in the foster system. They had a child for two years who would normally be eligible for adoption. However, the tribe in the Northwest had the rights to him, and he was brought there by his grandparents.

His mother is a known drunk who frequently throws bottles, chairs, and etc. at her parents' house, where the child is. However, after the tribal judge ruled she could never have custody of her child, she just went to the local judge. The local judge did not research for any previous trials and granted unsupervised custody to her every weekend. Now the child is endangered every weekend simply because your regional human services department, which also is apparently unbeliably slow and inefficient, has little to no authority over tribes or Native Atlasians and their children.

Wow, that sounds like a terrible situation.  I'm sorry to hear about it, and I hope the child will be safe.  I don't know the details, but the way you describe it, it sounds like more a case of the local judge being incompetent.  As far as I'm aware, the tribal judge should have had exclusive jurisdiction according to the Indian Child Welfare Act.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there's much I can do about it in the regional legislature since relations with tribes are a federal issue.  Anyway, I hope it works out for the child.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »

I would just like to say big congratulations to Monica Puig for winning Puerto Rico's first ever gold medal at the Olympics.  It's so great to see so much happiness in Puerto Rico after so many recent hardships.

¡Si Se Puede!

¡ESO ES PUIGÑETA!

PicaPower!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 01:41:29 PM »

I was simply suggesting possibly reforming the system, at least of the department in charge of foster care and adoption services. Maybe you could look into it in the South.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 05:57:04 PM »

Hey y'all,

Just a quick update on what I'm doing in the chamber of delegates.  Yesterday, I introduced the Honoring Service to Atlasia Act.  This act has two main goals.  First is helping veterans transition into the workforce.  By coordinating with the military and adjusting requirements for public employment licenses and certificates, it will go a long way to making it easier for veterans to find jobs.  After all, they work their butts off in the service learning different trades and skills.  Regional bureaucracies should recognize that work.  The second part of the act is simply a reward for the service and sacrifice that they endure by giving free access to regional parks and museums.  Regional parks, especially, are a great way to unwind away from the stresses of society and appreciate the beauty of nature.  IMO, it's only fair that veterans can enjoy these places free of charge after everything they've sacrificed for the country.

As some of you may know, the armed forces and foreign policy are very important to me.  Having to watch one of my closest friends go to the middle east when I was a teenager, thinking about her all the time, and then finding out the only reason she was even there was because President Bush lied to the world about WMDs is probably the biggest thing that radicalized me and got me into politics.  There's a lot of veterans issues that might be more pressing than the bill I'm proposing, but most of them have to do with reforming the VA.  I still think this bill can go along way to improving the lives of  veterans in the South, so I hope we can pass it.

There's still about a month to go in the term with a lot of work to do.  Passing the budget and getting work done on several bills that are currently on the floor.  I most likely will not be running for re-election, but I'm committed to getting this work done.  As always, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to share them and take a sweet potato pastry on your way out!

Here's the bill for reference:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2016, 01:21:58 AM »

Hi Southerners,

I just thought I'd take a quick moment to remind you that the next election for the Chamber of Delegates is in about 2 and a half weeks!  Citizens new and old, I hope you'll consider running a campaign for office.  If you're new or just never got a chance to try holding elected office yet, it's a pretty cool experience to try to come up with legislation that you think will help people but at the same time have a chance to pass in the Chamber.  It can be a challenge, but that's what makes it interesting.  If you're a retired Atlasian veteran, I encourage you to jump back into the fray too.  Every legislative session truly is pretty different depending on the people you get a chance to work with, so I think it can be pretty worthwhile even if you think you've seen it all.  If you have the time, it can be pretty rewarding, so take a few minutes to think it over.

Peace.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »

Hola everyone,

I just want to announce that I'm officially not running for re-election.  It's been an honor serving you in the Chamber over the past 3 months.  I feel like we've accomplished some great things, everything from combating human trafficking and helping ensure veterans are eligible for the jobs they're qualified for, to ending the war on marijuana, helping people get back to work, protecting religious freedom, confirming a Supreme Court Justice, and even giving the legislature an interesting name!

There's still much to do, but I'm not the one to do it at this time.  I encourage you to write yourself in if you're interested in giving regional politics a try. 
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »

You were a good Speaker, Ms. Siren
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »

Shame to see you go. It was great to serve with you.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 11:26:30 AM »

Shame to see you go. It was great to serve with you.

Thanks.  It was fun serving with both of you.  Good luck in your federal careers!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »

I look forward to your future endeavors. Smiley

The South was well served by having such a good Speaker at a critical juncture post reform.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 02:55:09 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2016, 02:56:59 PM by Siren »

I look forward to your future endeavors. Smiley

The South was well served by having such a good Speaker at a critical juncture post reform.

Thanks Yankee.  That means a lot coming from you!  

I was pretty surprised to even be nominated, tbh, but I'm glad I was.  It was an interesting and enlightening experience.  I did my best.  Would definitely recommend others give it a try.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »

Sorry to hear this - the South has definitely benefited from having you as Speaker. I wish you the best. Purple heart
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »

Will you stay active in Atlasia?

You could be the first female President.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2016, 02:12:32 AM »

"#I'mWithHer"?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2016, 12:26:23 PM »

Sorry to hear this - the South has definitely benefited from having you as Speaker. I wish you the best. Purple heart

Thanks tmth; you too in the Senate. Smiley

I'm planning to stick around but not too sure what I'll do yet.  And wow!  What an idea!  I don't really think anyone would vote for me, but ya never know!

We only have the best campaign slogans in this office.  Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »

I'm planning to stick around but not too sure what I'll do yet.  And wow!  What an idea!  I don't really think anyone would vote for me, but ya never know!

Those June 2013 Angus King style poll numbers come to mind for reason. Tongue
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 05:08:05 PM »

#CrookedSiren
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 01:12:00 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2017, 10:29:19 AM by Siren »

Peace, Love, Prosperity

Hola mis amigos, hello my friends.  I'm here today to announce my campaign for election to the House of Representatives.  Since I was appointed a few weeks ago, I've done my best to be an independent voice and to bring a different kind of perspective to debates.  I like to think of myself as compassionate first and pragmatic second.  I'm sure some of you disagree!  But that's what I promise to continue to do if you elect me your representative.  

I think we need that independent voice more than ever.  I'm very concerned that there seems to be a bipartisan consensus among our elected representatives in favor of costly and dangerous war efforts in the Middle East and Asia.  We finally pressure the government to get us out of Iraq, and now they want to send us back?  No way!  I am opposed to that.  I believe very strongly in a restrained foreign policy that focuses on diplomatic solutions and only to use war as a last resort.  Our men and women in uniform are amazing people and precious.  I'm lucky enough to call some of them my friends.  I appreciate all that they do, and I don't want to see us send them into harm's way unless absolutely necessary.  I also believe in taking care of our troops when they come home.  That's why I authored and passed a bill in the Southern Chamber of Delegates to help veterans find work in the public sector and allow them to attend regional parks free of charge, and I'd like to do more to improve the lives of veterans in the House.

I also want to continue fighting for those of us who tend to get ignored by the government, the poor, immigrants, Native people, minority religious groups, and many, many more.  I want to keep taxes low for the poor and make sure the wealthiest of us pay their fair share.  I want to see people be able to live happy, fulfilling lives, no matter where they come from or what they believe.  I want to see people respected, cherished, and valued and ensure that those things are emblematic in our nation's public policy.  Things like making sure everyone gets a quality education, are free to love whomever they like, and are free to worship whatever they believe, no matter how big or small the religion may be.  

I also believe strongly that we have a duty to protect nature, both for the beauty it provides us and for the resources it gives us that sustain us and help us survive.  Ensuring healthy forests doesn't just help trees.  It helps people and industry, providing food and shelter that would shrivel up without quality protection.  Don't believe me?  Just look at a place with full of pollution for years.  It's a disaster.  I've lived in China and I know what it's like to feel pollution in the air, getting particles in my nose and having to take a shower just to get clean when it rains.  I don't want to see that happen in Atlasia.  I want us to be responsible stewards that cherish the gifts that have been given to us, and I know we can do it!  It just takes a little effort.

I hope you'll consider me for your first preference on election day. A little love goes a long way. We can do it together.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 01:13:44 AM »

endorsed for high preference! you were a great speaker in the South!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2016, 01:22:11 AM »

Endorsed!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2016, 03:05:05 AM »

Endorsed for a high preference
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2016, 03:24:53 AM »

You've been great in the House.  You have my full endorsement!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2016, 07:26:51 AM »

Endorsed, obviously!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies