Siren's Senate Office (Virginia City, NV): Thanks for all the Fish
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:51:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Siren's Senate Office (Virginia City, NV): Thanks for all the Fish
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Siren's Senate Office (Virginia City, NV): Thanks for all the Fish  (Read 11719 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2017, 02:04:15 AM »

Endorsed for reelection.  You've been a terrific asset to the Senate. Smiley
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2017, 01:53:10 PM »

Thank you for the endorsements everyone.  I appreciate the encouragement and support!
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2017, 02:20:01 AM »

Although I respect both Senator Siren and Mr. Lumine's positions on the views and what they hold dear to their hearts, I am endorsing Senator Siren for re-election and I hope to work with her and everyone else within the Congress to carry out the things us Atlasians hold dear!
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2017, 12:25:17 AM »

Thank you Fremontistas!  I'm excited to start my first full term representing you in the Senate.  Remember, my office is always open.  Your concerns are my concerns.  My mochacchino cupcakes are your cupcakes.

I totally didn't just forget to vote for myself or campaign.  Nope that totally didn't just happen!
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2017, 06:05:55 AM »

Congratulations on your victory Siren!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2017, 06:18:43 AM »

I totally didn't just forget to vote for myself or campaign.  Nope that totally didn't just happen!
That's mostly true. Wink
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2017, 12:23:06 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2017, 10:24:43 AM by Siren »

I am so happy to announce that we finally have comprehensive immigration reform in Atlasia!  After working on it over the course of 3 presidential administrations and congresses in both the House and the Senate, the Come Out of the Shadows Act has finally passed and been signed into law by the President.  Seeing people come together from all sides of the aisle to create a bill that the vast majority of legislators were able to support has been so good to see and revived some of my faith in bipartisanship.

More importantly, this was just the right thing to do.  These people are our friends, neighbors, co-workers, sometimes even loved ones.  They shouldn't have to hide away in the shadows, wilting and suffering for fear of being cast away to places unknown where they could very well die.  Instead, they can come out into the light and join the rest of us to create a better tomorrow.  Whether it's through community service, education, activism, being a firefighter or nurse or whatever you want, that is all now possible.  We can call them dreamers for what they aspire to be, not for what they wish we would allow them to be.  And Atlasia will be a better and more welcoming place for it.  That's what Atlasia has always been after all.

Thank you to everyone who has helped and supported me on this task.  I could not have done it without your support!
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2017, 03:13:21 PM »

Hi Fremontistas!

As most of you probably know by now, I'm running for Vice President of Atlasia this June with my amazing friend Clyde.  I hope I can earn your support for that just like I did with the Senate over the next few months.  Some of you might be wondering what my plans are for the Senate race since it's happening at the same time.  It's been an amazing honor to represent you over the past several months.  I know I've only been here in Fremont for a little while, but I'm so happy that I moved here.  Honestly, I've never been anywhere close to how happy I am here in any other region I've ever lived in.  I just think we have an awesome group here with a lot of interesting people.

I feel like we've been able to accomplish a lot together during my Senate tenure.  I spearheaded several bills during my time in office, including Atlasia's first ever comprehensive immigration reform plan in over a decade, a bill providing inclusive and scientific sexed in schools, and a bill providing paid family and educational leave that's currently awaiting the president's signature.  I've worked on and passed bills ensuring Atlasia is taking steps to prevent deforestation in our own forests that addresses problems we face including biodiversity and invasive species, and I have bills in the queue that address Atlasia's massive food waste problem to help feed hungry people and to take steps to condemn and apologize for the practice of military coups.  Very soon you'll get a chance to vote on a constitutional amendment that abolishes the draft that I sponsored on behalf of Justice Jbrase.  I've always taken pride in sponsoring bills for my constituents, so if you have anything in mind, be sure to let me know!

With all these things in mind and including the honor of representing this region, I'm announcing that I will not be running for re-election to the Senate.  After being in Atlasia for a while, I've come to the firm belief that frequent injections of new blood is essential to keeping this game interesting.  We have so many wonderful minds here in Fremont that I wouldn't feel right blocking people from reaching for the stars to be able to bring new ideas to the Senate.  Thank you so much for putting your trust in me over the past few months.  I promise that I'll keep doing the best I can to represent you for the rest of my term.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2017, 04:01:07 PM »

RsIrenP Cry
Honestly, I read "sexed" as a verb - that is, being designated one. As such, I am obligated to trip over myself making a joke about my status as a trans woman in response. Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »

Boooo!

This is sad to hear.  You're a great senator, but I understand your reasoning.  Godspeed.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »

Well Fremontistas, it's almost time for me to go.  My term ends on Friday, and as we wrap up the last few days, I just want to say again how much of a total blast it's been to be your Senator for the past 5 months or so.  You guys are such an amazing group of people with an eclectic and diverse culture and history.  That really inspired me, and while I think there's a lot of things I could have done better, I'm proud of the things we accomplished together!  It's been my honor to represent you guys, especially getting the chance to sponsor bills for you and to try to represent the interests of you all the best I can.  I always kept that in mind when making decisions on whether to support or oppose bills, and I'm confident that Barnes will continue to do the same in my stead.  I also want to congratulate HenryWallace, RFayette, and Anthony on being elected to the House of Commons, as well as Harry Truman as Prime Minister!  You guys are the life blood of the region right now, and I wish you luck during your next full term.  I'm expecting a lot of great bills out of you guys.  Just keep fighting.  Smiley

As for me, I'm taking a well deserved (I think!!!) break from politics for a while, but you can always find me here in Nevada if you need me for anything.  Or maybe at a soccer field screaming my head off.  Cheesy

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2017, 06:40:33 PM »

Deeply disturbing news in Nyman my friends. I was disappointed to learn today that the House of Representatives has brought forward a resolution, declaring a state of war between the Republic of Atlasia and North Korea. This is especially troubling in light of the fact that the House has ignored the Draft Restriction Amendment that was painstakingly crafted in the Senate over two months ago in order to address the former chamber's previous complaints. This amendment would have allowed you, the people of Atlasia, the people who could potentially have to go fight in this war, the chance to have a say in the decision. Declaring war whilst simultaneously ignoring the amendment that would restrict the draft flies in the face of individual freedom. I will not stand by while our freedom is trampled upon like a flimsy rag in such a manner! I announce that I stand opposed to this bellicose war declaration until such time as the House sees fit to actually allow the people of Atlasia to vote on the Draft Restriction Amendment.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2017, 06:42:29 PM »

Deeply disturbing news in Nyman my friends. I was disappointed to learn today that the House of Representatives has brought forward a resolution, declaring a state of war between the Republic of Atlasia and North Korea. This is especially troubling in light of the fact that the House has ignored the Draft Restriction Amendment that was painstakingly crafted in the Senate over two months ago in order to address the former chamber's previous complaints. This amendment would have allowed you, the people of Atlasia, the people who could potentially have to go fight in this war, the chance to have a say in the decision. Declaring war whilst simultaneously ignoring the amendment that would restrict the draft flies in the face of individual freedom. I will not stand by while our freedom is trampled upon like a flimsy rag in such a manner! I announce that I stand opposed to this bellicose war declaration until such time as the House sees fit to actually allow the people of Atlasia to vote on the Draft Restriction Amendment.
You have my full support in this regard, I'll advocate for the House to take action on this.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »

Siren

WE ARE ALREADY AT WAR!!!!!

And have been for three weeks.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2017, 06:50:42 PM »

Siren

WE ARE ALREADY AT WAR!!!!!

And have been for three weeks.
It's even on the wiki.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2017, 06:53:10 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2017, 06:56:56 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

As for the draft, nobody is going to get drafted into anything. Atlasia doesn't have a draft, I oppose the draft and we won't have a draft as long as Congress doesn't enact one. The Draft Restriction Amendment tied the hands of the Congress for all of time regarding what it can and cannot do to defend the homeland.

Yes, the Senate fixed a problem one dealing with the fact that the original version basically outlawed prison terms. But the underlying Amendment still presents this problem of us not being able to potential defend us in the event of WW3.

All the freedoms and sloganeering are fine until you cannot protect those freedoms anymore. That is why Lincoln and FDR both used the draft.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2017, 07:05:32 PM »

There is only one thing that can be said to most of the replies in this thread friends...

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »

I agree that the draft is HP but North Korea did attack Guam (although Goldwater did strike North Korea first)
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2017, 07:08:03 PM »

I agree that the draft is HP but North Korea did attack Guam (although Goldwater did strike North Korea first)
The attack on Guam happened after we and our allies repeatedly preemptively attacked North Korea first illegally without a declaration of war.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2017, 07:08:23 PM »

And yes I know see that there was a subsequent Draft Amendment in July from the Senate, I was referring to the one in the Spring.

PiT can probably bring that up as soon as gets on in the House.

Still that has nothing to do with this war.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2017, 07:22:01 PM »

The attack on Guam happened after we and our allies repeatedly preemptively attacked North Korea first illegally without a declaration of war.
True, but I don't think anything can be done at this point (peace has been tried)
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »

And yes I know see that there was a subsequent Draft Amendment in July from the Senate, I was referring to the one in the Spring.

It has everything to do with the war. Congressional declarations are a serious matter that provide the President with a large degree of power that they do not have in normal times. Also, there are no guarantees that the draft wouldn't be authorized at a later date, after we've been driven further into the depths of war.

I feel like my demand is very reasonable. The people of Atlasia deserve to have a say on the Draft Restriction Amendment before Congress goes around declaring war willy-nilly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2017, 07:25:16 PM »

It has everything to do with the war. Congressional declarations are a serious matter that provide the President with a large degree of power that they do not have in normal times. Also, there are no guarantees that the draft wouldn't be authorized at a later date, after we've been driven further into the depths of war.

I feel like my demand is very reasonable. The people of Atlasia deserve to have a say on the Draft Restriction Amendment before Congress goes around declaring war willy-nilly.

We are not declaring war, willy nilly, we are formally recognizing a state of war which has existed since September 4th.

Guess this illustrates just who all has not been reading the GM thread. Tongue
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »

We are not declaring war, willy nilly, we are formally recognizing a state of war which has existed since September 4th.

Guess it also illustrates who's been paying attention to what bills get passed and when.

And the President's powers are limited without formal declarations of war from Congress. The reset put all of American statutes as Atlasian law unless people overruled them by writing new legislation. Congress declaring war and the president using their powers under the war powers act aren't the same thing.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2017, 07:43:55 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

Guess it also illustrates who's been paying attention to what bills get passed and when.

And the President's powers are limited without formal declarations of war from Congress. The reset put all of American statutes as Atlasian law unless people overruled them by writing new legislation. Congress declaring war and the president using their powers under the war powers act aren't the same thing.

We have done a good job keeping track of what bills passed and when. The problem comes from bills that linger from previous Senates, as they are on a previous Senate's noticeboard. It also becomes a problem when portions of the Noticeboard is out of date, leaving the Vice President without an accurate up to date list of what each chamber has done. The senate's board hadn't been updated since the 19th until tonight. The VP takes his list of Senate/House passed stuff from the list of past bills compiled by the PPT/Speaker.

Also as I have said repeatedly, If someone has missed something or forgotten something, PM the person and ask them about it and find out if it has been missed or other bills are ahead of it on the floor, or whatever.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies