What is your favorite board game?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:53:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What is your favorite board game?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What is your favorite board game?  (Read 1894 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 12:19:43 AM »

It's going to be a risk putting $hitlery KKKlinton into the White House and...

Oops, wrong thread Tongue

Question for the Monopoly lovers: do you all put money in the center of the board and whoever lands on Free Parking gets to collect it? Because same.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 12:39:30 AM »

It's going to be a risk putting $hitlery KKKlinton into the White House and...

Oops, wrong thread Tongue

Question for the Monopoly lovers: do you all put money in the center of the board and whoever lands on Free Parking gets to collect it? Because same.

Hitlery thinks the entire world is a game of Risk, that's why she's a neocon harpy. But she isn't even good at it. She keeps rolling snake eyes against the Middle East.

And yes, any Monopoly players who do not do that are awful (sane)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 12:42:30 AM »

Probably Diplomacy.

Also, sign me up for that Atlas Forum Diplomacy game.

Question for the Monopoly lovers: do you all put money in the center of the board and whoever lands on Free Parking gets to collect it?

Yes.
dax00

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 12:46:54 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 12:48:30 AM by Foul, and a miss - Ali Carter 4 »

Nope. I am a rules man. 20% interest on mortgages and all that good stuff.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 12:59:42 AM »

I think that's now officially 7 Diplomacy fans signed in, and you know what that means...
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 10:40:27 AM »

Battleship or Trivial Pursuit.
mencken
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2016, 12:37:36 PM »

Chess or Risk
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 12:42:36 PM »

"Chess is a game of war but a peaceful war where no human lives are at stake. Susan Polgar is a mild mannered person and she always likes peaceful resolutions when conflicts arise."

http://www.susanpolgar.com/
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »

Monopoly and chess come to mind. I'm not really much of a board game person, so I don't know a lot of the ones you guys are bringing up.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »

How do people like Monopoly? :/
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 12:18:14 PM »

How do people NOT like Monopoly? I guess if you're a Bernie Sanders person, you probably despite it because it's all about getting rich and crushing your competitors by seeing who can build the most properties. I used to have the Nintendo game of it and I'd get so mad I'd throw the controller at the TV when it cheated on me.

I just remembered another favorite board game of mine as a child that I don't think has been mentioned on here: Chutes and Ladders!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 01:06:52 PM »

When I was a kid I played with "Free Parking" money, but I stopped that when I became an adult.  If I went to your house and your rules put money in the middle, I'd register a complaint and then play by your rules.

(and then try really hard not to bitch about it more than two or three times throughout the game)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2016, 02:11:16 PM »

When I was a kid I played with "Free Parking" money, but I stopped that when I became an adult.  If I went to your house and your rules put money in the middle, I'd register a complaint and then play by your rules.

(and then try really hard not to bitch about it more than two or three times throughout the game)

LOL, I'm guilty too, but I should probably grow up like you Tongue
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »

Diplomacy, although I've only played a couple of times in real life because I just don't know 6 other people who would play and actually try to win.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2016, 02:24:14 PM »

How do people NOT like Monopoly? I guess if you're a Bernie Sanders person, you probably despite it because it's all about getting rich and crushing your competitors by seeing who can build the most properties. I used to have the Nintendo game of it and I'd get so mad I'd throw the controller at the TV when it cheated on me.

I just remembered another favorite board game of mine as a child that I don't think has been mentioned on here: Chutes and Ladders!

Monopoly was my favorite game when I was a little kid because of the money and the properties and the hotels, but I haven't played it in a decade and plan on never playing it again.

It's really agonizingly long, and very boring because there is no element of skill involved whatsoever, it's mostly all just luck.  Everyone I've ever played with has always thoroughly resisted ANY attempt to make a trade or a deal, so you just roll the dice, figure out what properties you land on, figure out what unlucky/lucky chance spaces you get, etc, for a few hours until someone wins.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »

People that refuse to trade at all are the worst.  You're supposed to trade, it's like, one of the most important parts of the game.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2016, 05:00:12 PM »

People that refuse to trade at all are the worst.  You're supposed to trade, it's like, one of the most important parts of the game.

The people I was trading with pretty much avoided trading with me because they suspected that I was smarter and therefore ripping them off, but I think even if you play monopoly with players who understand the probability tables perfectly, you will never have any trades because the players will all understand exactly who wins and who loses what trade.  It's kind of similar to what happens in Clue when everyone understands how to take notes correctly.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »

oh no, it's not like that in my experience.  Good players trade because you have to trade to win.  Like you said earlier, if you don't trade at all it's almost all luck.  What the fun is that?  Might as well play Candyland.  Trading might make you lose faster, or help the other guy win faster, but it's the only way to have a better than average chance of winning too.  Even with trading there is still a fair of amount of luck involved, but that's true of most competitions.  I like the light blues and the RRs.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2016, 05:49:10 PM »

Also, re: Semocrat, you put your money in the center of the board and it is collected when you land on free parking.  it is known, khaleesi.

And while we're on the subject of people getting mad during board games, I played risk one time where I antagonized a guy so much by trying to ally with other people at the table to wipe him out that he freaked out and flipped over the table violently, scattering the pieces everywhere.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 06:45:35 PM »

I played risk one time where I antagonized a guy so much by trying to ally with other people at the table to wipe him out that he freaked out and flipped over the table violently, scattering the pieces everywhere.

Hellooooooo, Newman. (Yes, I know that's not what happened.)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2016, 08:39:34 PM »

Clue's also up there.

As for the Monopoly question, when the Jr version is more fun, you know something is fundamentally broken about the mechanics of a game.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies