Democrats, would you have voted for a Democrat version of Trump? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:39:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democrats, would you have voted for a Democrat version of Trump? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Donald Trump (D) vs Jeb Bush (R)
Donald Trump (D)

Jeb Bush (R)

Gary Johnson

Jill Stein

Abstain

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Democrats, would you have voted for a Democrat version of Trump?  (Read 1342 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« on: June 12, 2016, 03:03:46 AM »
« edited: June 12, 2016, 03:56:05 AM by BlueSwan »

I've been trying to do some soul searching. On the one hand, I am of the opinion that anyone who cares about democracy has a moral obligation to vote against Donald Trump come november. On the other hand, I am also a partisan who cares deeply about the issues and about the constellation of the supreme court. So I had to ask myself the question, what if Donald Trump had run as a democrat and had defeated Hillary Clinton in the primaries. To make the matter more realistic let's say that this version of Trump basically had the same xenophobic, mysogynist views. He was still talking about building a wall and keeping muslims out. He was still talking about global warming being a hoax. He was still offending everybody left and right. However, instead of proposing a pretty typical republican tax plan, he proposed a tax plan that increased taxes heavily on the rich. He was in support of universal health care. He was in support of breaking up the big banks. He was in support of a $15 minimum wage.

In other words, the persona of the real Donald Trump coupled with typical left wing populist economic views like those of Bernie Sanders.

Let's also say that his opponent in the general election would be the republican equivalent of Hillary Clinton. Let's say it was Jeb Bush (or Mitt Romney or John Kasish, if you prefer, but it would have to be an "establishment" candidate, not Ted Cruz).

So it is Trump (D) against Bush (R).

Democrats only - who do you support? Would you vote for the semi-fascist demagogue to keep the republicans from power and ensure a liberal supreme court.

I have thought quite a bit about this and I readily admit that I really really hate the idea of a conservative supreme court (just like the conservatives really really hate the idea of a liberal supreme court). But I would also have to intellectually stick to my point that anyone who believes in democracy and world safety has a moral obligation to vote against Trump, be it the republican or democratic version of Trump.

Also, the "easy" option of voting for Jill Stein (or Gary Johnson) just doesn't cut it. The number one priority is to STOP Donald Trump. Voting for them doesn't stop Trump at all. I would consider it my moral responsibility to vote for Jeb Bush - brother of easily the worst US president of my lifetime (and arguably ever). I would hate every second of it, but I would do it and I would feel morally vindicated watching Trump get a beating on election night.

How about you other fellow democrats?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies