Democrats, would you have voted for a Democrat version of Trump? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:36:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democrats, would you have voted for a Democrat version of Trump? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Donald Trump (D) vs Jeb Bush (R)
Donald Trump (D)

Jeb Bush (R)

Gary Johnson

Jill Stein

Abstain

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Democrats, would you have voted for a Democrat version of Trump?  (Read 1387 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 12, 2016, 02:50:17 PM »

Donald Trump could not have won a Democratic primary given all of the racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic, etc. crapola he's spouted. But, to indulge the OP with the hypotheticals, in this scenario I would pull a jfern and be #ReadyForJillStein.

If Trump were running in the Democratic Primary, he'd have dredged up the Clinton scandals and moved the Democrats to repudiate Clintonism in the same way he moved the GOP to repudiate Bushism.

If Trump were running in the Democratic Primary, he'd have been pro-choice, he'd have let his social liberalism be on display, and he'd have picked a female running mate already.

The problem for Trump would be that he already declared himself as a Republican in 2012, was a birther, etc.  If he hadn't done that, however, and had run as a Democrat, he'd have toned down his insults because the crowd he'd be pandering to would be less receptive to that.  (The GOP eats up Trump's insults; he does them with more panache and gusto than the half-baked hacks who've been dishing them out for so long.)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »

In the primaries, I'd have voted for a Democratic Trump, and I would have been extremely pleased to see the Democratic Party returning to its Jacksonian roots.

With that being said, I respect Jeb Bush a lot and I think he was the most prepared candidate for president in recent history. He's a very decent man as well. I've made it clear that while I agree with Trump's policies, I find his personality and rhetoric appalling. Right now, Trump is making me lean R in November, but ironically, if he was actually in my party, I think I'd still lean R.

I don't think Trump would have run as that kind of a Democrat if he'd have run as a Democrat.  I think he'd have been a neo-liberal, fiscal conservative (for a Democrat) who toed the Democratic line on social issues.

I agree with the highlighted quote.  But the hatchet job Trump did on Bush and Bushism was overdue and well-deserved.  The Bushes are the genteel folks that screw people over with plausible deniability.  The lasting positive of this campaign is that Bush Republicanism is dead and gone in the GOP, just as Grover Cleveland's philosophy died in the Democratic Party in 1896.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:14:02 PM »

If Trump were running as a Democrat, he'd be running a much different sort of campaign.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies