Mass shooting at LGBT nightclub in Orlando.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:45:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mass shooting at LGBT nightclub in Orlando.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Mass shooting at LGBT nightclub in Orlando.  (Read 13425 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »

There are some sick people. 50 people are dead and all some people are worried about is protecting guns. It's more difficult to obtain permits to open a business than it is to get a gun, so it's clear that we have a real problem that needs to be addressed.

And it doesn't matter who the shooter pledged allegiance to. It would be just as bad if he was a viewer of the 700 Club.

Yeah because of course liberals want to take away my rights,but allow radicalized Muslims intent on killing americans into the country no questions asked.

Disarm me and allow the bad guys to come on in.

"No questions asked?" Where do you come up with this dopey garbage?

Just because we don't support banning all people of a certain religion from entering the country doesn't mean we're not interested in rigorous screening processes or keeping the country safe.

Banning all Muslims is not a proportional response to the problem at hand, and would actually create a far more dangerous situation.

Secondly, no one wants to take away your f-cking guns, but cling to them all you want. An assault weapons ban is not ridiculous. Keeping guns from people with a history of mental health challenges should not be controversial. The terrorist watch list thing is a little more tricky, because there isn't any proof that these folks are guilty of anything, but, I mean, if you're willing to ban a whole religion from entering the country without proof of wrong-doing, keeping guns away from suspected terrorists is a drop in the bucket.

So kindly GTFO.

People with certified mental health challenges arent able to freely buy firearms.  The issue is that the left decided to water down our mental health system so much that actually bring certified mentally ill is damn near impossible.  

What's an assault weapon?    Automatic firearms have been banned since the 1930s and Reagan followed up on it in 1986.

Liberals have no freaking clue.

ugh
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2016, 02:20:23 PM »

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, I suppose.  Whatever, this shooting will pass, and we won't change a thing. We won't institute common sense gun control, and we won't do anything about the flow of people into this country who hate our values and want to kill us.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2016, 02:21:32 PM »

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, I suppose.  Whatever, this shooting will pass, and we won't change a thing. We won't institute common sense gun control, and we won't do anything about the flow of people into this country who hate our values and want to kill us.

Dude was an American citizen, so what does this have to do with immigration?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2016, 02:23:47 PM »

And no mention of the home grown homophobia so prevalent in the US.  Instead you wanna use the actions of a bigoted American citizen to realize your xenophobic immigration views.

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »

Importing thousands upon thousands of people with similar beliefs will surely do nothing but inflame what is going on with Muslims in the US.  It's that simple.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2016, 02:24:21 PM »

What an utter tragedy.  And perhaps most tragic of all is how left and right ignore obvious facts to protect their ideology.

He was a bigoted religious fundie who shot 50 gays because he hates them for who they are.  This doesn't terrorize straight, homophobic Republicans....nor was his gun a threat to straight left wingers.

Then why is this only a problem of this magnitude in America?  Do we have the worst religious zealots?  The most Muslims?  The most homophobic people?

Time to stop the moderate hero routine and address the problem.  It's amazing how in America otherwise rational people stand up and say we absolutely cannot have an objective conversation about a giant problem staring us in the face.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »

This guy was investigated twice by the fbi after making workplace statements about radical Islam.   Still was allowed to freely move about the country and obtain a permit and security gig.    Yet some of you in here want to burst down my door and take my weapons.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:14 PM »

There are some sick people. 50 people are dead and all some people are worried about is protecting guns. It's more difficult to obtain permits to open a business than it is to get a gun, so it's clear that we have a real problem that needs to be addressed.

And it doesn't matter who the shooter pledged allegiance to. It would be just as bad if he was a viewer of the 700 Club.

Yeah because of course liberals want to take away my rights,but allow radicalized Muslims intent on killing americans into the country no questions asked.

Just because we don't support banning all people of a certain religion from entering the country doesn't mean we're not interested in rigorous screening processes or keeping the country safe.

Banning all Muslims is not a proportional response to the problem at hand, and would actually create a far more dangerous situation.

Secondly, no one wants to take away your f-cking guns, but cling to them all you want. An assault weapons ban is not ridiculous. Keeping guns from people with a history of mental health challenges should not be controversial. The terrorist watch list thing is a little more tricky, because there isn't any proof that these folks are guilty of anything, but, I mean, if you're willing to ban a whole religion from entering the country without proof of wrong-doing, keeping guns away from suspected terrorists is a drop in the bucket.

So kindly GTFO.

People with certified mental health challenges arent able to freely buy firearms.  The issue is that the left decided to water down our mental health system so much that actually bring certified mentally ill is damn near impossible.  

What's an assault weapon?    Automatic firearms have been banned since the 1930s and Reagan followed up on it in 1986.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher mount
Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Pistol grip
Detachable magazine.

And you're right. The above means literally nothing to me, because I think gun ownership frankly appeals to humankind's most barbaric tendencies.

Even so, I understand the intent of the Second Amendment and generally support it. That doesn't mean we can't keep the most dangerous guns off the street, and the above are now legal to possess even though they were not for a decent period of time before 2004. I have no problems bringing this ban back. You'd still be able to buy a gun to protect yourself.

As for mental health, someone struggling with depression doesn't need to be branded with the label "mentally ill." A conversation with the person's doctor or a look at their medical records, however, would probably indicate that that person shouldn't have a gun. Makes sense. What's wrong with having this kind of quick investigation be part of the process?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:22 PM »

Importing thousands upon thousands of people with similar beliefs will surely do nothing but inflame what is going on with Muslims in the US.  It's that simple.

Preventing others from entering the country wouldn't have stopped this from happening. Seriously, you are trying to tie two issues that aren't related to each other whatsoever.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:50 PM »

What an utter tragedy.  And perhaps most tragic of all is how left and right ignore obvious facts to protect their ideology.

He was a bigoted religious fundie who shot 50 gays because he hates them for who they are.  This doesn't terrorize straight, homophobic Republicans....nor was his gun a threat to straight left wingers.

Then why is this only a problem of this magnitude in America?  Do we have the worst religious zealots?  The most Muslims?  The most homophobic people?

Time to stop the moderate hero routine and address the problem.  It's amazing how in America otherwise rational people stand up and say we absolutely cannot have an objective conversation about a giant problem staring us in the face.

Err, it's NOT only a problem of this magnitude in the United States. Look at Europe, the Middle East, Africa. Radical Muslims are killing people everywhere they live.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »

This guy was investigated twice by the fbi after making workplace statements about radical Islam.   Still was allowed to freely move about the country and obtain a permit and security gig.    Yet some of you in here want to burst down my door and take my weapons.

14th>>>2nd
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2016, 02:30:30 PM »

Preventing others from entering the country wouldn't have stopped this from happening. Seriously, you are trying to tie two issues that aren't related to each other whatsoever.

Yes, actually.  It would have stopped this from happening.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2016, 02:31:26 PM »

Looks like this monster bought his guns in the last week.  Republicans killed a bill which would have stopped him from buying these guns last year.  Look at who has even more blood on there hands.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »

Err, it's NOT only a problem of this magnitude in the United States. Look at Europe, the Middle East, Africa. Radical Muslims are killing people everywhere they live.

I was referring to mass shootings in functional countries not at war.  As I told the other people in this thread I don't care about the identity politics of the shooters nor the victims.  An innocent being killed is an innocent being killed.  You simply don't see a single person just waking up one day and with minimal planning mowing down 10s of people on a whim the way the way you do in the US.  This is happening with an astonishing regularity.  What is different about the US and other first world countries?  Might want to look there to solve your problem.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

Looks like this monster bought his guns in the last week.  Republicans killed a bill which would have stopped him from buying these guns last year.  Look at who has even more blood on there hands.

1 man has blood on his hands.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #215 on: June 12, 2016, 02:33:50 PM »

Yes, actually.  It would have stopped this from happening.

Lmao!

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #216 on: June 12, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »

What do you expect from a party that gives machines more rights than humans?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2016, 02:35:35 PM »

Żes, and anybody who says otherwise is wrong.

The secularists want to rewrite history to make us (the West) into something that we are not. The Islamists don't feel that way - they see us as we've always been. They don't hate us because we're free, they hate us because they see us as decadent Christians. We are in a religious war, not against all Muslims, but against a faction of them who will not rest until they avenge their loss at the Battle of Tours, and perhaps not even then.

They hate us because we're gay. We're in a war against people with positive social scores on the PM, no matter what religion they follow.
No. They hate us because we tolerate homosexuality, despite our positive social PM scores.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »

Żes, and anybody who says otherwise is wrong.

The secularists want to rewrite history to make us (the West) into something that we are not. The Islamists don't feel that way - they see us as we've always been. They don't hate us because we're free, they hate us because they see us as decadent Christians. We are in a religious war, not against all Muslims, but against a faction of them who will not rest until they avenge their loss at the Battle of Tours, and perhaps not even then.

They hate us because we're gay. We're in a war against people with positive social scores on the PM, no matter what religion they follow.
No. They hate us because we tolerate homosexuality, despite our positive social PM scores.

Tolerate?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2016, 02:41:22 PM »

A fascinating choice of word, given that, as we all know, the point about toleration is that it is conditional and can be withdrawn.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »

The main difference is that far-right terrorist usual don't swear allegiance to some organisation, they seem to take pride in the fact, that they're lone wolves.

More of an emphasis on the idea of the individual's will and so on in their propaganda I suppose.

They're also less likely to realise that trying to buy explosives over the internet is a bit stupid.

Terrorist in general fail because of their own stupidity in the planning phase, my municipality alone have had two (Islamist) terror cells, which have failed because they ordered large amount of fertiliser.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »

So kindly GTFO.

People with certified mental health challenges arent able to freely buy firearms.  The issue is that the left decided to water down our mental health system so much that actually bring certified mentally ill is damn near impossible.   

What's an assault weapon?    Automatic firearms have been banned since the 1930s and Reagan followed up on it in 1986.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:

Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher mount
Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud safety feature that prevents burns to the operator
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.
Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Pistol grip
Detachable magazine.

And you're right. The above means literally nothing to me, because I think gun ownership frankly appeals to humankind's most barbaric tendencies.

Even so, I understand the intent of the Second Amendment and generally support it. That doesn't mean we can't keep the most dangerous guns off the street, and the above are now legal to possess even though they were not for a decent period of time before 2004. I have no problems bringing this ban back. You'd still be able to buy a gun to protect yourself.

As for mental health, someone struggling with depression doesn't need to be branded with the label "mentally ill." A conversation with the person's doctor or a look at their medical records, however, would probably indicate that that person shouldn't have a gun. Makes sense. What's wrong with having this kind of quick investigation be part of the process?

None of that means assault weapon.   Really a barrel shroud?     There are hunting rifles that i have that would feature some of that stuff.  My bushmaster AR 15 isnt any quicker than my ranch rife mini 14 which looks like traditional hunting rifle . 

Suppressors or silencer are highly restricted by the atf unless you have the $$$$ for the tax every year. They inspect your home yearly as well.. lots of paperwork.     I know ..

No to the doctor before i buy a gun.  Thats another way to prevent good citizens from getting guns. 
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2016, 02:47:32 PM »

The main difference is that far-right terrorist usual don't swear allegiance to some organisation, they seem to take pride in the fact, that they're lone wolves.

More of an emphasis on the idea of the individual's will and so on in their propaganda I suppose.

They're also less likely to realise that trying to buy explosives over the internet is a bit stupid.

Terrorist in general fail because of their own stupidity in the planning phase, my municipality alone have had two (Islamist) terror cells, which have failed because they ordered large amount of fertiliser.

I am sorry, I just snorted.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »

There was a guy over here convicted last year; he'd been arrested after walking into a cookshop and buying the biggest scariest looking knife he could find. As he'd never been in before, obviously wasn't a professional chef and was acting as shiftily as hell, naturally the staff called the police as soon as he left the shop and he was arrested on arrival home...
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2016, 02:49:20 PM »

www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/12/orlando-shooting-suspects-father-hosted-a-political-tv-show-and-even-tried-to-run-for-the-afghan-presidency/

Apparently, the shooter's father was a prominent Afghan public figure and a Taliban supporter.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies