Mass shooting at LGBT nightclub in Orlando. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:25:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mass shooting at LGBT nightclub in Orlando. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mass shooting at LGBT nightclub in Orlando.  (Read 13632 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: June 12, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »

The terror watch list weapon ban would have been unconstitutional, as good of an idea as it is.

Would it, though? Felons can't buy guns, more or less, so what would be wrong with banning people on that list from purchasing firearms? Would the Heller decision have anything to do with this?

If we have people on watch lists, it really doesn't make sense to allow them to purchase guns. The only issue I have with it is that innocent people on the list would have a hassle, so maybe they should have tiers and only ban certain people on that list from owning firearms. Having a quick way to appeal your standing on the list would be good, too.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »

The terror watch list weapon ban would have been unconstitutional, as good of an idea as it is.

Would it, though? Felons can't buy guns, more or less, so what would be wrong with banning people on that list from purchasing firearms? Would the Heller decision have anything to do with this?

If we have people on watch lists, it really doesn't make sense to allow them to purchase guns. The only issue I have with it is that innocent people on the list would have a hassle, so maybe they should have tiers and only ban certain people on that list from owning firearms. Having a quick way to appeal your standing on the list would be good, too.
The problem wasn't putting people on "the List" on some kind of "no guns for you registry", the problem was that "the List" (listS really) was stupid, it was too easy to get on it, nearly impossible to get off of it.  "the List" was broken.

Yep, I was alluding to that. I'm in a favor of a list, but the people who go on the list should actually be considered real persons of interest and not just random people they have a very tiny belief that they could be involved in "something". I think the govt has been a bit too liberal with their "lists" since 9/11, and I wish people pushing the gun ban for people on "the list" would at least acknowledge as much. I'm really not in favor of the govt labeling people like that without some good evidence.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 10:29:32 PM »

Yes, actually.  It would have stopped this from happening.

What, banning Muslims in the 1980s? This guy was born here a long time ago. We didn't really have these same problems back then. You can't just argue all this stuff in hindsight. I can come up with an infinite number of "solutions" to problems that started decades or even centuries ago.

Further, you can't seriously think banning Muslims would come without consequences, could you? That would damage our relations (even more) with Muslims for a long time. Banning Muslims now would only encourage more lone wolves who would be appalled by such treatment, on top of all the other issues driving these people.

It's just not that simple!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies