What's your impression of the job market?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:33:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your impression of the job market?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's your impression of the job market?  (Read 372 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »

I'm curious what the forum's experience looking for work has been. I've read anecdotes about massive ratios of applicants to jobs, but that hasn't really been my experience from both sides of the search.  Perhaps the awful descriptions of the job market were more relevant circa 2009 or maybe my field is just doing relatively well.

Thoughts?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 08:13:52 AM »

The job market in Salzburg is very robust, the state always has the lowest unemployment rate in Austria (together with Upper Austria and the other Western states), at around 3%.

On the other hand, the labour market in Eastern Austria is terrible. Especially in Vienna, where the number of unemployed and on welfare has doubled over the past 10 years. Immigration into the welfare system explains much of the increase there ...

For me personally, I always quickly got a job after applying. You just don't have to be so picky and choosy if you really want to work ...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »

I despise it. But that's what I deserve.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »

My company can't seem to hire people fast enough.

I work for a company of around 200 people, and I wouldn't be surprised if we've grown by at least a dozen people in the past three months.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 01:13:25 PM »

Definitely more turnover in the last two or three years especially among younger, newer employees.  It's become enough of a problem that there have been discussions of taking a lesser candidate if they seem more likely to stay in the job longer, or how do you modify the workplace to retain the people who believe the grass is greener elsewhere.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »

not good, unless you happen to be the right kind of person with the right kind of experience, which ends up shutting out a lot of people with no clear avenue for correcting this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 09:02:36 AM »

Must be great in Omaha.  A buddy of mine works as a custodian at the local Community College.  They had an opening.  Starting at $14/hr, no experience.  5 people applied, 3 applied correctly, only 2 showed up for the interview and one of those had just gotten out of prison for violence.  My youngest daughter has had 4 different jobs in the last year and a half and despite getting fired from each, other places were still quick to hire her.  Doesn't have a license or a car.  I'm pretty sure every gas station and fast food place has help wanted signs up (for pretty good dollars at the gas stations at least).  You're a liar if you say you can't get a job in Omaha.  It might not be the job you want, but since only like 1.5% of humans have the job they want you should just suck it up and do what you got to do like the rest of us.  You ain't no better.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »

It's very good where I live, thankfully.  I'm also well aware that I enjoy a few advantages most don't when applying for jobs; I don't flaunt them, but I'd be a fool not to take advantage.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »

Must be great in Omaha.  A buddy of mine works as a custodian at the local Community College.  They had an opening.  Starting at $14/hr, no experience.  5 people applied, 3 applied correctly, only 2 showed up for the interview and one of those had just gotten out of prison for violence.  My youngest daughter has had 4 different jobs in the last year and a half and despite getting fired from each, other places were still quick to hire her.  Doesn't have a license or a car.  I'm pretty sure every gas station and fast food place has help wanted signs up (for pretty good dollars at the gas stations at least).  You're a liar if you say you can't get a job in Omaha.  It might not be the job you want, but since only like 1.5% of humans have the job they want you should just suck it up and do what you got to do like the rest of us.  You ain't no better.

There was actually a WSJ article on the "full employment" situation in Lincoln:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-lincoln-neb-a-view-of-full-employment-1450394644
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies