Does the recent gun massacre of 50+ LGBT people in Orlando, Florida...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:54:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does the recent gun massacre of 50+ LGBT people in Orlando, Florida...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Poll
Question: ... swing the race more towards Clinton or Trump?
Clinton

Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 158

Author Topic: Does the recent gun massacre of 50+ LGBT people in Orlando, Florida...  (Read 10904 times)
Fargobison

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2016, 09:40:03 PM »

One of the few times I agree with Bernie...

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/742174277978456068
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2016, 09:42:08 PM »

Expected turnout is 66% and gays vote 70% for Hillary, but since this is Trump, and these gays are Hispanic, they will vote 641% for Hillary plus the gunman was a Democrat and since Florida is the state that the election hinges on, .66*6.41*50+gunman=213 votes lost, which does help Trump, but it is less than Bush's margin so the odds of these voters swinging the election has to be no more than 2.5%. /asperger'd

When will people learn there is a time for things?

You're now blocked for essentially implying anyone with aspergers is a retard. (The only person to have that distinction.)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2016, 09:43:44 PM »

Trump acts like Omar Mateen was an Afghan immigrant, when he wasn't, he was born here, he abused his ex-wive, had mental issues and got triggered when he saw two gay men kissing in Miami. He probably turned to Da'esh as a result of that cause "muh anti-gay stance".

And who cares about demographics? The only ones complaining about that are white rednecks and/or conservatives who don't want too many of us "brown skinned" folks walking around. BTW, we're ONLY Democrats for the most part because of the GOP's stances that actively harm or negatively affect the African American, Arab, Muslim and Hispanic communities. Deal with your own in-house problems first before worrying about us "scary minorities".
When you bring people in from the most backwards countries in the world, you cannot expect them to just fit into Western societies without any problems. One of my best friends is an Afghani immigrant who moved to Canada as a young adult. He's an RCMP officer, he goes to church, and he speaks English as if he was born in Canada. If I had to, I'd trade my life for his any time. He's a model immigrant, but not everyone is like him. The public school system is supposed to assimilate the children of immigrants by having them read the same books, play in the same playgrounds, and celebrate the same heroes as American children. Unfortunately. the left doesn't want assimilation, because they don't believe America is any greater than any other country in the world. They don't love America, a country founded on British liberalism and Christian moral consensus. It's not about skin color or ethnicity, it's about culture. Of course, we should treat minorities with respect, but when you have too many minorities of any kind (ethnic, religious, cultural, etc.) who coalesce and don't assimilate, you end up with Balkanization like you see in America today.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2016, 10:59:37 PM by Meclazine »

It's a privelage to read Fuzzy, Virginia and TSA's reaction.

Sorry if i forgot any other Floridians.

It never strikes you on this forum that the poster's are real people on the ground living in the regions where these events are occuring.

A horrible tragedy that will undoubtedly be exploited by both sides of politics.

But for now, i will offer my thoughts and prayers for all Floridians, especially the family and friends of the victims.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2016, 09:56:53 PM »

Honestly, I find not only the thread title/poll extremely disturbing, considering this is the largest act of Domestic Terrorism since Oklahoma City, and the the most massive Hate Crime committed in a single day, but also shocked on how so many on this forum are jumping in right off the bat to "discuss" how this will all play out in the Presidential Election.

Right now, families are on death watch and taking turns in the emergency room hoping that their loved ones will survive to see another day, which from personal experience is a process that could take months,  and all some people want to talk about is will it help/hurt Trump/Clinton.... Yes political decisions and policies have consequences, yes this is major event in the history of America and the intersections of guns/LGBT/ISIS/Immigration have a bunch of people riled up over some traditional hot-button domestic political items.

Ultimately once again we have a crazy American nutjob that decides to go out in a blaze of glory and commit mass murder because he was mentally unstable and decided to target a minority population that he despised, because his own life had become a failure, and it is extremely easy to buy an AR-15 within a few days in Florida.

Instead of a thread about how will this impact the 2016 elections, maybe there should be a thread about how this despicable massacre impacts us personally as individuals and Americans, and what measures can be taken to reduce similar incidents of mass Hate Crimes/ Domestic Terrorism.

When I see discussions like this about how a horrific mass-murder will impact presidential elections one way or another, it really is extremely distasteful at this time, and frankly sounds like the total stereotype of a partisan political operative living inside the Beltway and not Main Street America.

At least give it a few weeks before turning this horrific tragedy into a partisan political issue.

True, but the Beltway's biggest paper, The Hill is saying that the Orlando attacks could potentially change the dynamics of the presidential race.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/283219-orlando-massacre-inflames-trump-clinton-presidential-race
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »

Both sides should not be exploiting the tragic issue, but President Obama and others may want to push gun control in some of these battleground states.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2016, 10:00:13 PM »

It's DISGUSTING that the victims here plus the Muslim community will be used as political capital by both Trump and Clinton. With TRUMP we're going to get another tirade about how "we must all be banned" "how we all secretly support Omar Mateen" "how we can't be sure Muslims aren't plotting against us".

IMO, we don't need more immigration, period.  We have enough Americans to fill our job market.  That might be a remedy to so many Americans leaving the job market, and to employers discriminating against job applicants merely because they've been out of the workforce for a long period of time.

Emigrating to America is not a RIGHT.  It's something WE allow, based on what is in OUR national interest.  It's not xenophobia to point out that those who encourage easy immigration are folks who want to manipulate the demography of America to the point where the Democrats have a hammerlock on the White House and the Congress.  I don't care about that one way or another, but I do care about the principle of sovereignty and the aspect of it that states that a nation has every right to control its own borders.

That's all fine and dandy, but don't sit there and demonize one community because the actions of a minority. We don't blame the entirety of white people for the mass shootings committed once every 2-3 days in the country, I could blame white people for killing my brethren in Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan and Syria, or the Jews in Israel for my family's exile from their ancestral homeland in Palestine, but I don't.

Trump acts like Omar Mateen was an Afghan immigrant, when he wasn't, he was born here, he abused his ex-wive, had mental issues and got triggered when he saw two gay men kissing in Miami. He probably turned to Da'esh as a result of that cause "muh anti-gay stance".

And who cares about demographics? The only ones complaining about that are white rednecks and/or conservatives who don't want too many of us "brown skinned" folks walking around. BTW, we're ONLY Democrats for the most part because of the GOP's stances that actively harm or negatively affect the African American, Arab, Muslim and Hispanic communities. Deal with your own in-house problems first before worrying about us "scary minorities".

I could care less about the skin color of immigrants.  I care very much about their attitudes to liberal democracy and Constitutional liberties.  I don't want to wake up one day and find America voted out of its Constitutional liberties.  That will be a stealth operation.  If folks' religion, politics, or anything else bring them to be at odds with the concepts of liberal democracy and Constitutional liberties, then it is not good that they come to America to live.  It is not good for we Americans, of all colors and religions that value liberal democracy and Constitutional liberties.

The enemies of our liberties and our democracy are already here, and they use our liberal democratic institutions to manipulate us.  We are being manipulated to view as xenophobic anyone who (at least nowadays) challenges the idea that we ought to control our borders and that we don't have to let people emigrate here as a matter of right.  I would ask The Shadowy Abyss which Muslim majority nation-state provides protection for its religious minorities and which ones don't.  What happens in other countries is, by and large, a matter for other countries to work out, but I'm not comfortable with allowing waves of immigrants into America who are not compatible with our concept of religious freedom.  And I can't ignore how Muslim in other parts of the World treat their religious minorities when they are in the majority.  If I'm factually wrong, I'm willing to stand corrected.  But if I'm not, than please allow me the freedom to decide what will and won't concern me regarding public policy.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »

I care very much about their attitudes to liberal democracy and Constitutional liberties.  I don't want to wake up one day and find America voted out of its Constitutional liberties.
Then why support Trump??? He wants do exactly what you fear Muslims are going to do.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2016, 10:02:34 PM »

Expected turnout is 66% and gays vote 70% for Hillary, but since this is Trump, and these gays are Hispanic, they will vote 641% for Hillary plus the gunman was a Democrat and since Florida is the state that the election hinges on, .66*6.41*50+gunman=213 votes lost, which does help Trump, but it is less than Bush's margin so the odds of these voters swinging the election has to be no more than 2.5%. /asperger'd

When will people learn there is a time for things?

You're now blocked for essentially implying anyone with aspergers is a retard. (The only person to have that distinction.)

Haha, I hope this is a joke and you missed the point of my post because that certainly wasn't it.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2016, 10:03:20 PM »

...I never thought I'd see the day that I entirely agree with something Sanders said...
Mallow
United States

« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2016, 10:07:39 PM »

...I never thought I'd see the day that I entirely agree with something Sanders said...

I don't understand this. This is the position of every major Democratic politician. Nobody supports ISIS. What's surprising about this?
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »

Something tells me this thread is gonna be locked by tomorrow morning lol.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #162 on: June 12, 2016, 10:20:24 PM »

I don't understand this. This is the position of every major Democratic politician. Nobody supports ISIS. What's surprising about this?

He actually phrased it in harsh, truthful terms unlike the usual PC democratic politicians. 
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #163 on: June 12, 2016, 10:40:51 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2016, 11:50:34 PM by Cory »

Honestly, I find not only the thread title/poll extremely disturbing, considering this is the largest act of Domestic Terrorism since Oklahoma City, and the the most massive Hate Crime committed in a single day, but also shocked on how so many on this forum are jumping in right off the bat to "discuss" how this will all play out in the Presidential Election.

Right now, families are on death watch and taking turns in the emergency room hoping that their loved ones will survive to see another day, which from personal experience is a process that could take months,  and all some people want to talk about is will it help/hurt Trump/Clinton.... Yes political decisions and policies have consequences, yes this is major event in the history of America and the intersections of guns/LGBT/ISIS/Immigration have a bunch of people riled up over some traditional hot-button domestic political items.

Ultimately once again we have a crazy American nutjob that decides to go out in a blaze of glory and commit mass murder because he was mentally unstable and decided to target a minority population that he despised, because his own life had become a failure, and it is extremely easy to buy an AR-15 within a few days in Florida.

Instead of a thread about how will this impact the 2016 elections, maybe there should be a thread about how this despicable massacre impacts us personally as individuals and Americans, and what measures can be taken to reduce similar incidents of mass Hate Crimes/ Domestic Terrorism.

When I see discussions like this about how a horrific mass-murder will impact presidential elections one way or another, it really is extremely distasteful at this time, and frankly sounds like the total stereotype of a partisan political operative living inside the Beltway and not Main Street America.

At least give it a few weeks before turning this horrific tragedy into a partisan political issue.

Your medal is in the mail, but this is a political forum so it makes sense that we would talk about the political implications.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #164 on: June 12, 2016, 10:42:22 PM »

Something tells me this thread is gonna be locked by tomorrow morning lol.

This couldn't wait for like... 24 hours before we started making political calculations? Just because Trump has the class of a stripper's used g-sting doesn't mean we have to.

Political nerdism notwithstanding - that doesn't mean a little decency couldn't be dribbled into this place.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »

Wow, respect for Bernie.  I wish Hillary has the cajones to stand up to radical Islam as well. I'm still waiting for her to give a real response to this.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2016, 10:47:25 PM »

He actually phrased it in harsh, truthful terms unlike the usual PC democratic politicians.  

The reason many Democratic politicians don't phrase it as "harshly" as you want them to is the same reason many Republican politicians will intentionally omit any mention of the LGBT aspect of this tragedy.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2016, 10:50:43 PM »

Wow, respect for Bernie.  I wish Hillary has the cajones to stand up to radical Islam as well. I'm still waiting for her to give a real response to this.

I imagine we'll find out tomorrow.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2016, 10:52:48 PM »

I imagine we'll find out tomorrow.

Don't worry, when she does, those who are currently accusing her of being "too soft" or "too PC" will be nowhere to be found. They'd never admit that they agree with HER.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2016, 10:53:30 PM »

And yet his plan to do this somehow doesn't involve boots on the ground, weapons sales to other groups, allowing the Assad regime to remain in tact, a no-fly zone, just letting Russia do it...

I could go on.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2016, 10:55:15 PM »

And yet his plan to do this somehow doesn't involve boots on the ground, weapons sales to other groups, allowing the Assad regime to remain in tact, a no-fly zone, just letting Russia do it...

I could go on.

I know it's terrible that he doesn't want to fight endless wars with the enemies of ISIS.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #171 on: June 12, 2016, 10:55:30 PM »

I could go on.
The people complaining about "PC culture" care more about using the right words than doing anything about the problem. They have become exactly what they oppose.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #172 on: June 12, 2016, 10:57:34 PM »

If only "pro-life" Republicans worked as hard to stop men from getting guns as they do at stopping women from getting abortions.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2016, 10:58:21 PM »

I could go on.
The people complaining about "PC culture" care more about using the right words than doing anything about the problem. They have become exactly what they oppose.

The hypocrisy is palpable.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #174 on: June 12, 2016, 11:31:07 PM »

I think this could have helped him slightly, but because of the way he responded to the events, in the typical insensible and disrespectful narcissistic Trump fashion, it'll probably end up working against him. Some Bernie diehards in my Facebook are now willing to vote for HRC to stop him because of today.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies