Does the recent gun massacre of 50+ LGBT people in Orlando, Florida... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:05:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does the recent gun massacre of 50+ LGBT people in Orlando, Florida... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ... swing the race more towards Clinton or Trump?
Clinton

Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 158

Author Topic: Does the recent gun massacre of 50+ LGBT people in Orlando, Florida...  (Read 10966 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« on: June 12, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »

I want to hear Hillary and Obama speak out on this. I don't want prayers from politicians who are going to go back to doing nothing tomorrow. I want to see people try.

Of course because they cant even acknowledge radical Islam.  The left has completely let Americans down.  Whats happening in france is what will happen here once the liberals have their way.    
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 11:20:04 AM »

We need more information about the shooter and his motives.  We know he was Muslim and an American. This wasn't a "usual" Islamic terrorist attack.  If it was, and especially if he was foreign-born, it would help Trump a lot.  But this was an attack on a gay nightclub during Pride Month.  It's almost certainly a hate crime.  This tragedy cuts several ways, including on assault weapons.

It only cuts one way.   The word Muslim is key and thats the only word voters will remember.  Honestly,  it helps anti free zone argument.  Nobody in that club had anyway to defend because obviously  clubs like that are GUN FREE.    

MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:26:51 AM »

Can you please not right now.  Stop thinking about politics for one second. 

This is the political section i believe.   As a gay man and past visitor to this club im bothered as well. But unfortunately i know political liberalism has caused  americans to be slaughtered like sheep.    

I
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »

I think it will showcase how each candidates deals with addressing a national tragedy.

Barack Obama has had to deliver speech after speech after speech to attempt to heal the nation after numerous mass shootings. That's something I don't think Donald Trump is capable of doing in the slightest, and I think he will show that this week.

I think youre wrong.   Trumps non political, regular guy appeal is more raw for these situations.   Unlike fake and phony Hillary.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:46:39 PM »

Wanted to post this because every time this question is asked anywhere, it always seems to be simple answers and no good discussion on why or how candidates/politicians lose/gain support.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2015/11/19/how-terrorist-attacks-can-change-opinions-and-elections-including-the-2016-election/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Less trustful of Muslims / immigrants and less favorable of pro-either policies. Benefits Trump.

Obama's approval rating took a dip around the time of the Paris attacks and then continued to go up for the next few+ months until it hit its 53% peak in March. They also took a dip after the San Bernardino shooting but recovered quickly. Personally, I don't think there is going to be a rally around effect, but Obama's job approval ratings will probably recover well before the election. If this doesn't stick to Obama, it won't stick to Hillary, especially with contrasted with Trump, whose reckless behavior and complete lack of knowledge is a huge liability for him in this election and even more so with terrorist attacks dominating in peoples minds.

Also, semi-related but, I don't understand why people think Republicans are better with national security. First, they got us into these 2 wars, which spawned ISIS. Second, how is the party that is so quick to go to war and attack heavy considered more capable? Do people just like this Alpha behavior, regardless if it is stupid and self-defeating? Attack smart, not like a crazed bloodthirsty wolf.

Not best for Hillary. If you go by the results of this limited study, then being a Democratic woman (as opposed to Democratic man) lowers support.

Clinton is considered hawkish, while Trump seems mixed. His position (assuming it hasn't flipped 12 times in the last 24 hours) seems to be non-intervention, maybe? So I'm not sure how voters will judge/compare the two on this. However, there have been polls showing voters thinking Trump would handle terrorism better than Clinton, so...

--

My opinion is this:

1. The election is 5 months away, and it took much less time for the opinion changes after San Bernardino / Paris attacks to dissipate and things to return to normal. You could argue this was bigger, but I don't think that factor comes into play unless the causalities are much higher.

2. Part of Clinton's campaign against Trump involves painting him as reckless and dangerous in terms of the military / threats (eg can't be trusted with the codes), and she has a very strong case on that. If Trump gets a bump from this, I doubt it will last long if she presses hard on his complete lack of knowledge and temperament. This has to be one of his biggest liabilities and one that is not normal on such a scale for most presidential candidates. It can be used against him when people value those attributes the most.

3. Trump has been creating so much trouble for himself on such a frequent and consistent basis that I'm almost positive that he will quickly squander whatever political benefits this may have for him. He'll go on another racist tirade, or he'll make some new offensive / polarizing proposal, or steal candy from a baby, etc etc, and his poll numbers will go right back down - Even faster now as Clinton & friends flood the airwaves with crafty & damaging attack ads.

For these reasons, I don't think Clinton will lose support for this in November. She may for the next month or so, but 5 more months of Trump monopolizing media with his offensive comments / idiocy will fix that right up.

I do think this would help Trump ,but your right his campagain isnt smart enough to harness it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies