Your position on gun control
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:32:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your position on gun control
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Your position on gun control  (Read 1751 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2016, 04:55:37 PM »

Inspired by the recent shooting that happened this morning.

I strongly support the right to bear arms, however there needs to be some regulations. I support criminal and mental background checks. I strongly support banning guns to the individuals on the no-fly list. I oppose a ban on "assault weapons."

How about you guys?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 05:14:21 PM »

Basically the common-sense proposals. No gun-show loophole, a 7-day waiting period, a ban on people on the 'no-fly' list or terrorist watch list getting weapons, and a universal background check system or register. Most importantly we need to focus on pushing the gun manufacturing companies to make common-sense measures also, like fingerprinting and demanding that all citizens store their weapons in a locked container at all times.

I do not, nor do I believe I will ever own a weapon, but I understand the need for some to do so. I support our constitution, but I think it needs to reflect the needs and times of the people and not just those from the founding of our nation.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 05:26:41 PM »

Eliminating the gun show loophole and instituting universal background checks before purchases are widely supported and shown by research to be effective in keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals. It's a no brainer to support them. Most other forms of gun control have questionable effectiveness and constitutionality.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 05:43:19 PM »

Anything that can be proven to work to reduce gun crime should be implemented. I do not support a magic right to own a shootybangbangstick.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 06:52:04 PM »

My Pro-Gun Positions:
I strongly support the 2nd Amendment.
I oppose laws like the semiautomatic ban, the Brady Bill and the 2012 Manchin-Toomey Bill.
I oppose banning AR-15s or limiting rounds.
I oppose any mandatory waiting period.
I oppose any sort of federal database that would list all gunowners in the U.S.
I support concealed carry.
I support open carry.
Gun Free Zones literally do nothing productive.
I am against closing this supposed gun show loophole.

My Anti-Crime positions:
I support mental health and criminal background checks (which should be the position of almost any sane person, imo).
I oppose allowing felons convicted of violent crimes (murder, rape, terrorism etc...) purchase a gun.
I oppose allowing people on the terrorist watch list own guns.

Neutral:
When it comes to the no-fly list there needs to be some changes made before I can state my support for it even existing in it's current form. People who are not threats should not be on this list.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »

I am philosophically a rights maximalist, but I am also aware that my positions are fringe.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »

Eliminating the gun show loophole and instituting universal background checks before purchases are widely supported and shown by research to be effective in keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals. It's a no brainer to support them. Most other forms of gun control have questionable effectiveness and constitutionality.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 08:24:25 PM »

I consider myself a moderate. Eliminate loopholes, bu make guns easier to get, merely requiring a psychological test. If background checks worked, we wouldn't be seeing all these shootings.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 08:34:06 PM »

I support the current system of background checks, but no more. Enforce the current laws before you even think about creating new ones. I am opposed to assault weapons bans and magazine capacity restrictions. I support requiring guns to be stored in child-resistant containers when not in use, but stop short of requiring them to be stored unloaded or with trigger locks in case they are actually needed for self-defense. People who do stupid things like leave a loaded gun in the back seat with a 4-year old child should be banned from owning guns for life.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 09:14:50 PM »

Basically the common-sense proposals. No gun-show loophole, a 7-day waiting period, a ban on people on the 'no-fly' list or terrorist watch list getting weapons, and a universal background check system or register. Most importantly we need to focus on pushing the gun manufacturing companies to make common-sense measures also, like fingerprinting and demanding that all citizens store their weapons in a locked container at all times.

I do not, nor do I believe I will ever own a weapon, but I understand the need for some to do so. I support our constitution, but I think it needs to reflect the needs and times of the people and not just those from the founding of our nation.

I consider myself a moderate. Eliminate loopholes, bu make guns easier to get, merely requiring a psychological test. If background checks worked, we wouldn't be seeing all these shootings.

Why is it all the people with great positions on guns, like you two and me, are young and in the 14/15 age range?

I would be perfectly fine with either of their positions becoming law besides keeping guns in locked containers at all times. Perhaps companies which mandate fingerprinting could get a tax deduction of some sort.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 09:22:20 PM »

Anything that can be proven to work to reduce gun crime should be implemented. I do not support a magic right to own a shootybangbangstick.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »

- Reverse the Heller decision
- End gun-show loophole
- 7-day waiting period
- Ban guns for those on terrorist watch lists
- Ban concealed carry
- Bans on automatics, semi-automatics, handguns, advanced sniper scopes
- Magazine clip limits
- Required a licensee to own and carry, with renewal every 5 years
- Universal background checks for license/renewal
- Mandatory psychological testing for gun ownership for license/renewal 
- Federal registry of all guns/gun owners
- Banning private transfers/gifts without notification
- Police officers on patrol are not allowed guns (like in the UK, Ireland, Norway, Iceland and New Zealand).

That seems like a good compromise.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »

- End gun-show loophole
- 7-day waiting period
- Ban concealed carry
- Magazine clip limits
- Police officers on patrol are not allowed guns (like in the UK, Ireland, Norway, Iceland and New Zealand).

That seems like a good compromise.
What kind of compromise is this? Between the anti-gun and militant anti-gun positions?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 09:54:20 PM »

Why is it all the people with great positions on guns, like you two and me, are young and in the 14/15 age range?

I would be perfectly fine with either of their positions becoming law besides keeping guns in locked containers at all times. Perhaps companies which mandate fingerprinting could get a tax deduction of some sort.

My rationale for the 'locking-up' of weapons is suicide. South Korea had the highest rate of suicide, but guns are banned there so they have used weedkiller and bleaches. So South Korea made a law locking up all weedkillers and a significant drop in suicides occur. I have a personal connection to suicide and suicide attempts from family members, so I think the extra obsticle in the way of someone committing suicide goes a long way
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 09:57:33 PM »

My rationale for the 'locking-up' of weapons is suicide. South Korea had the highest rate of suicide, but guns are banned there so they have used weedkiller and bleaches. So South Korea made a law locking up all weedkillers and a significant drop in suicides occur. I have a personal connection to suicide and suicide attempts from family members, so I think the extra obsticle in the way of someone committing suicide goes a long way
I don't know about South Korea, but even in dumb America, most people can figure out how to unlock a container.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 10:11:31 PM »

- End gun-show loophole
- 7-day waiting period
- Ban concealed carry
- Magazine clip limits

Aren't these positions contradictory? Or do you expect people to get a license so they can openly carry an awkward deer rifle in public.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lol.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 10:13:04 PM »

Ideally, repeal the 2nd amendment. Nationwide coordinated effort to secure and destroy all guns.  In the meantime, however, I'll take an assault weapons ban and much stricter background checks.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 10:28:38 PM »

I don't know about South Korea, but even in dumb America, most people can figure out how to unlock a container.

The goal isn't to stop people from accessing their gun altogether. It is to add extra time to think about suicide before doing so. Most suicide prevention researchers/professionals say that even just up to a minute for people attempting to commit can stop them from doing so.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 05:55:28 AM »

My Pro-Gun Positions:
I strongly support the 2nd Amendment.
I oppose laws like the semiautomatic ban, the Brady Bill and the 2012 Manchin-Toomey Bill.
I oppose banning AR-15s or limiting rounds.
I oppose any mandatory waiting period.
I oppose any sort of federal database that would list all gunowners in the U.S.
I support concealed carry.
I support open carry.
Gun Free Zones literally do nothing productive.
I am against closing this supposed gun show loophole.

My Anti-Crime positions:
I support mental health and criminal background checks (which should be the position of almost any sane person, imo).
I oppose allowing felons convicted of violent crimes (murder, rape, terrorism etc...) purchase a gun.
I oppose allowing people on the terrorist watch list own guns.

Neutral:
When it comes to the no-fly list there needs to be some changes made before I can state my support for it even existing in it's current form. People who are not threats should not be on this list.

Mirrors my exact postions. I would take it a step further on

- Making law against gun free zones ex; Private residences.
- Nation wide carry permit like having driver license.

Felons and criminals should receive min 30 year sentences for use of a gun during any violant crime. Example; thug robs some store with a gun and then commits anther shooting in the same week, finally gets arrested and connected to both crimes = 60 years.    As it currently stands this person would maybe get 5 years and serve half of it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 06:58:26 AM »

Never bothered to detail my position.  What I do know is that any additional restrictions we do impose should be based far more on what will help curb the thousands who die each year by ones and twos in America rather that what might help with high-profile tragedies such as those in Orlando this past weekend.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 07:17:17 AM »

Most suicides are prevented by making it harder to occur. A lot of people have this idea that suicides are this thing that is ruminated in for weeks, but a lot of the time between the decision and carrying out the action is relatively short and free of thought. Placing a block in order to force the world be suicidal to think about picking a lock reduces the likelihood the person will carry through.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2016, 08:38:46 PM »

I know I'm going to be dismissed as a loony leftist or something, but I believe that nobody should be allowed to own a gun.

Why do people own guns?

Self-Defense: Your bedside gun to protect yourself from an invader is more likely to end in an accident involving you shooting yourself, than in the protection of you. Not nearly enough crimes are prevented by people because they have guns to make this argument reasonable. So many people are shot by toddlers each year that it's really hard to justify this.

Hunting: Animal cruelty, and it's completely useless. Nobody hunts for food in 21st century America.

I look forward to arguing with someone over this.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2016, 09:25:14 PM »

Australia.

Yes, it ed over some farmers, but I've never seen a gun in my life except outside Parliament house.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2016, 10:18:29 PM »

Australia.

Yes, it ed over some farmers, but I've never seen a gun in my life except outside Parliament house.

Our crime rate dropped more than Australia since their buyback when our gun control became more lax.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 10:22:14 PM »

You people are all thinking emotionally. America is at a 40 year low in violent crime. States with higher rates of gun ownership have lower crime to boot, and gun deaths overall are dropping too. Vermont has some of the laxest gun control in the country and only has 0.2 gun deaths per 100,000, as opposed to Maryland, with 5.2 I think per 100,000, lower % ownership, and more regulations for good people, as criminals will get guns if they want one.

I understand the emotional knee-jerk reactions, but really all of these proposals are counterproductive and would cause more death because more people would be disarmed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies