Do you care that Obama hasn't used the phrase 'radical islam' yet?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:24:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you care that Obama hasn't used the phrase 'radical islam' yet?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes,  is a VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE FOR ME

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Do you care that Obama hasn't used the phrase 'radical islam' yet?  (Read 1471 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2016, 05:32:25 AM »

?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 06:29:53 AM »

It's obvious that OBUMMER the lazy Indonesian Kenyan Muslim Jew is working with ISIS to take over America!!!!!!!!!!! THat's why I need muh guns!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:14:28 AM »

Its an impeachable offense. Weak Paul Ryan won't pull the (TW) trigger
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »

Yes.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:46 AM »

No, who really cares? Obama said something along the lines of "an attack on one group is an attack on all of us". That's good enough for me.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 11:43:42 AM »

No (sane)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 11:47:39 AM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 12:18:16 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 12:30:40 PM by Santander »

Al-Adnani called on fanatics to "terrorise [people] so the neighbour fears his neighbour", in the group's most strident call for attacks yet.

He said: "The smallest action you do in the heart of their land is dearer to us than the largest action by us, and more effective and more damaging to them.
"And if one of you wishes and tries hard to reach the Islamic State, then one of us wishes to be in your place to hurt the Crusaders day and night without sleeping, and terrorise them so that the neighbour fears his neighbour."

It was the latest in a string of calls for attacks by al-Adnani, who Western intelligence believe oversees the group's external attack plotting.

As I said, they don't attack us because we're free, they attack us because it is a religious war and they identify us as Christians. They explicitly call us Crusaders. We need to identify who we're fighting and what we're defending. Screw radical Islamic terrorism, that implies that some types of terror isn't radical, we're fighting Islamic terrorism.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 12:20:57 PM »

No, because many conservatives clearly just use that term as an excuse to hate Muslims.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »

No, because many conservatives clearly just use that term as an excuse to hate Muslims.
b-b-b-but Timothy McVeigh wasn't an advocate for Radical christianism??
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »

It's perfectly understandable that he hasn't used the phrase. As a man whose father and stepfather were both Muslims and who has himself been accused of being a Muslim subversive from Deepest Darkest Africa, Obama knows quite personally how rabidly bigoted the Right is on this issue. He obviously doesn't want to legitimize their bigotry, and I can't blame him.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »

He wasn't. He wasn't even a Christian.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 01:24:32 PM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 01:25:45 PM »

It doesn't bother me, but if he's specifically avoiding using the phrase when it's applicable ... I don't know, I don't care all that much but I wouldn't do that as POTUS.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »

I wish he would, just because there's no reason not to and it's allowing Trump to spread all sorts of innuendos and lies.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »

As I said, they don't attack us because we're free, they attack us because it is a religious war and they identify us as Christians. They explicitly call us Crusaders. We need to identify who we're fighting and what we're defending. Screw radical Islamic terrorism, that implies that some types of terror isn't radical, we're fighting Islamic terrorism.

It implies it's radical Islam, as opposed to normal Islam. I understand that the right wing is far more in favor of using language that castigates an entire group of people and not worrying about what segments feel lumped together under the same brushstroke, but that's precisely why Obama goes out of his way to not feed that perception. He's the head of a party that is far more keen on inclusiveness and is purposely eschewing divisive language. Nobody is in the dark about what religion these terrorists operate in the name of, but they are not typical adherents.

The right wing's desire to verify the crusader like identity that our enemies wish to impart us with is playing directly into their hands. You're letting them win the ideological battle when you give into the xenophobic hate people like Donald Trump spew about Muslims, as if they are problem as a whole. That type of marginalization is exactly what ISIS wants, and the fact that the right wing gets in a tizzy about it every time Obama refuses to say it reveals how a simple, accurate descriptor that applied to a branch of religious extremists became warped to vilify an entire religious group.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 01:37:30 PM by TimTurner »

He seems to have been a Christian to a bit less of the extent Mateen was a Muslim. ISIS isn't true Islam, but McVeigh didn't seem to be devout Christian either and doubted the tenants of Catholicism more. Mateen was misguided, still technically a Muslim but seriously in the need of spiritual guidance. I could be overanalyzing here.
But my point stands. It is being better articulated by others here.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »

I wish he would, just because there's no reason not to and it's allowing Trump to spread all sorts of innuendos and lies.
It doesn't bother me, but if he's specifically avoiding using the phrase when it's applicable ... I don't know, I don't care all that much but I wouldn't do that as POTUS.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 02:06:27 PM »

I care more about the fact that we haven't had an effective response against Isis yet
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 02:42:14 PM »

yes, though 'gnarly islam' or 'cowabunga dude islam' are also accceptable.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 03:02:20 PM »

He seems to have been a Christian to a bit less of the extent Mateen was a Muslim. ISIS isn't true Islam, but McVeigh didn't seem to be devout Christian either and doubted the tenants of Catholicism more. Mateen was misguided, still technically a Muslim but seriously in the need of spiritual guidance. I could be overanalyzing here.

Stolen from a place on the interwebs which stole it from Monty Python.

“We did this because our holy texts exhort us to to do it.”

“No you didn’t.”

“Wait, what? Yes we did…”

“No, this has nothing to do with religion. You guys are just using religion as a front for social and geopolitical reasons.”

“WHAT!? Did you even read our official statement? We give explicit Quranic justification. This is jihad, a holy crusade against pagans, blasphemers, and disbelievers.”

“No, this is definitely not a Muslim thing. You guys are not true Muslims, and you defame a great religion by saying so.”

“Huh!? Who are you to tell us we’re not true Muslims!? Islam is literally at the core of everything we do, and we have implemented the truest most literal and honest interpretation of its founding texts. It is our very reason for being.”

“Nope. We created you. We installed a social and economic system that alienates and disenfranchises you, and that’s why you did this. We’re sorry.”

“What? Why are you apologizing? We just slaughtered you mercilessly in the streets. We targeted unwitting civilians – disenfranchisement doesn’t even enter into it!”

“Listen, it’s our fault. We don’t blame you for feeling unwelcome and lashing out.”

“Seriously, stop taking credit for this! We worked really hard to pull this off, and we’re not going to let you take it away from us.”

“No, we nourished your extremism. We accept full blame.”

“OMG, how many people do we have to kill around here to finally get our message across?”
h
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »

“No you didn’t.”

“No, this has nothing to do with religion. You guys are just using religion as a front for social and geopolitical reasons.”

“WHAT!? Did you even read our official statement? We give explicit Quranic justification. This is jihad, a holy crusade against pagans, blasphemers, and disbelievers.”

“No, this is definitely not a Muslim thing. You guys are not true Muslims, and you defame a great religion by saying so.”

“Huh!? Who are you to tell us we’re not true Muslims!? Islam is literally at the core of everything we do, and we have implemented the truest most literal and honest interpretation of its founding texts. It is our very reason for being.”

“Nope. We created you. We installed a social and economic system that alienates and disenfranchises you, and that’s why you did this. We’re sorry.”

“What? Why are you apologizing? We just slaughtered you mercilessly in the streets. We targeted unwitting civilians – disenfranchisement doesn’t even enter into it!”

“Listen, it’s our fault. We don’t blame you for feeling unwelcome and lashing out.”

“Seriously, stop taking credit for this! We worked really hard to pull this off, and we’re not going to let you take it away from us.”

“OMG, how many people do we have to kill around here to finally get our message across?”
h

My opinion on the issue is that Baghdadi and his cronies aren't Muslim, but the people he has tricked are Muslims, just very misguided. Baghdadi knows the truth but continues to do wrong. Mateen didn't know the truth. Baghdadi is much worse as a result.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 03:37:29 PM »

No.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 04:13:31 PM »

Do I care that Obama is trolling right-wing radio with great success? No, not really.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 05:24:09 PM »

“No you didn’t.”

h

My opinion on the issue is that Baghdadi and his cronies aren't Muslim, but the people he has tricked are Muslims, just very misguided. Baghdadi knows the truth but continues to do wrong. Mateen didn't know the truth. Baghdadi is much worse as a result.

You're welcome to have that opinion, of course it's a complete worthless opinion in my opinion, but you're welcome to have it. It's not us who define who are Muslims and who aren't. That's a job left to Muslims themselves, and it's clear that the  people he "tricks" define him as Muslim and as such it's not my job as non-Muslim to decide his degree of "Muslim-ness" and unless you happen to be Muslim I'm going to ignore your attempt to define these people "Muslim-ness" too.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies