Do you care that Obama hasn't used the phrase 'radical islam' yet?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:13:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you care that Obama hasn't used the phrase 'radical islam' yet?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes,  is a VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE FOR ME

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Do you care that Obama hasn't used the phrase 'radical islam' yet?  (Read 1488 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 05:59:05 PM »

No, because many conservatives clearly just use that term as an excuse to hate Muslims.
b-b-b-but Timothy McVeigh wasn't an advocate for Radical christianism??

He wasn't. He wasn't even a Christian.
He seems to have been a Christian to a bit less of the extent Mateen was a Muslim. ISIS isn't true Islam, but McVeigh didn't seem to be devout Christian either and doubted the tenants of Catholicism more. Mateen was misguided, still technically a Muslim but seriously in the need of spiritual guidance. I could be overanalyzing here.
But my point stands. It is being better articulated by others here.

Stolen from a place on the interwebs which stole it from Monty Python.

“We did this because our holy texts exhort us to to do it.”

“No you didn’t.”

“Wait, what? Yes we did…”

“No, this has nothing to do with religion. You guys are just using religion as a front for social and geopolitical reasons.”

“WHAT!? Did you even read our official statement? We give explicit Quranic justification. This is jihad, a holy crusade against pagans, blasphemers, and disbelievers.”

“No, this is definitely not a Muslim thing. You guys are not true Muslims, and you defame a great religion by saying so.”

“Huh!? Who are you to tell us we’re not true Muslims!? Islam is literally at the core of everything we do, and we have implemented the truest most literal and honest interpretation of its founding texts. It is our very reason for being.”

“Nope. We created you. We installed a social and economic system that alienates and disenfranchises you, and that’s why you did this. We’re sorry.”

“What? Why are you apologizing? We just slaughtered you mercilessly in the streets. We targeted unwitting civilians – disenfranchisement doesn’t even enter into it!”

“Listen, it’s our fault. We don’t blame you for feeling unwelcome and lashing out.”

“Seriously, stop taking credit for this! We worked really hard to pull this off, and we’re not going to let you take it away from us.”

“No, we nourished your extremism. We accept full blame.”

“OMG, how many people do we have to kill around here to finally get our message across?”
h

My opinion on the issue is that Baghdadi and his cronies aren't Muslim, but the people he has tricked are Muslims, just very misguided. Baghdadi knows the truth but continues to do wrong. Mateen didn't know the truth. Baghdadi is much worse as a result.

You're welcome to have that opinion, of course it's a complete worthless opinion in my opinion, but you're welcome to have it. It's not us who define who are Muslims and who aren't. That's a job left to Muslims themselves, and it's clear that the  people he "tricks" define him as Muslim and as such it's not my job as non-Muslim to decide his degree of "Muslim-ness" and unless you happen to be Muslim I'm going to ignore your attempt to define these people "Muslim-ness" too.

Yeah, TimTurner is a Muslim.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 06:00:49 PM »

No, and I find this one of the most annoying and minute criticisms of him. 95% of the people pissed about this are 65 year old great-grandmothers who are posting on Facebook from their trailer.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 06:25:33 PM »

God no.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 07:27:31 PM »

Do I care that Obama is trolling right-wing radio with great success? No, not really.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »

No, because many conservatives clearly just use that term as an excuse to hate Muslims.

He seems to have been a Christian to a bit less of the extent Mateen was a Muslim. ISIS isn't true Islam, but McVeigh didn't seem to be devout Christian either and doubted the tenants of Catholicism more. Mateen was misguided, still technically a Muslim but seriously in the need of spiritual guidance. I could be overanalyzing here.

“No you didn’t.”

“No, this has nothing to do with religion. You guys are just using religion as a front for social and geopolitical reasons.”

“WHAT!? Did you even read our official statement? We give explicit Quranic justification. This is jihad, a holy crusade against pagans, blasphemers, and disbelievers.”

“No, this is definitely not a Muslim thing. You guys are not true Muslims, and you defame a great religion by saying so.”

“Huh!? Who are you to tell us we’re not true Muslims!? Islam is literally at the core of everything we do, and we have implemented the truest most literal and honest interpretation of its founding texts. It is our very reason for being.”

“Nope. We created you. We installed a social and economic system that alienates and disenfranchises you, and that’s why you did this. We’re sorry.”

“What? Why are you apologizing? We just slaughtered you mercilessly in the streets. We targeted unwitting civilians – disenfranchisement doesn’t even enter into it!”

“Listen, it’s our fault. We don’t blame you for feeling unwelcome and lashing out.”

“Seriously, stop taking credit for this! We worked really hard to pull this off, and we’re not going to let you take it away from us.”

“OMG, how many people do we have to kill around here to finally get our message across?”
h

My opinion on the issue is that Baghdadi and his cronies aren't Muslim, but the people he has tricked are Muslims, just very misguided. Baghdadi knows the truth but continues to do wrong. Mateen didn't know the truth. Baghdadi is much worse as a result.

You're welcome to have that opinion, of course it's a complete worthless opinion in my opinion, but you're welcome to have it. It's not us who define who are Muslims and who aren't. That's a job left to Muslims themselves, and it's clear that the  people he "tricks" define him as Muslim and as such it's not my job as non-Muslim to decide his degree of "Muslim-ness" and unless you happen to be Muslim I'm going to ignore your attempt to define these people "Muslim-ness" too.

He is Muslim.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »

No. Not in the slightest. It is solely a right-wing talking point to bring the topic against Muslims and not fundamentalism in its entirety
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 03:49:49 AM »

I think you may have to wonder is the term offensive to him due to his upbringing.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »

If Clinton can then Obama can.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »

Another thread proving the complete lack of sanity from the left.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »

I love how you're saying this and MK just said

I think you may have to wonder is the term offensive to him due to his upbringing.

but that's totally fine, right?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »

I love how you're saying this and MK just said

but that's totally fine, right?
Well, he was born to a Muslim father and lived with his Muslim stepfather in Indonesia for a while, where he undoubtedly made Muslim friends. That doesn't make him a Muslim, but it is possible that because of his family background and childhood experiences, he is hesitant to be critical of Islam or to publicly utter the words "radical Islam". I think that is understandable and I cut Obama some slack on this issue because of it.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »

Well, he was born to a Muslim father
Barack Obama Sr. became an atheist before Obama was born.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »

Well, he was born to a Muslim father
Barack Obama Sr. became an atheist before Obama was born.
Okay, a former Muslim father. Does it really change his personal connection with Islam? It's not like I'm theorizing that Obama himself is a Muslim.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 01:51:41 PM »

I wish he would, just because there's no reason not to and it's allowing Trump to spread all sorts of innuendos and lies.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2016, 09:12:51 AM »

“No you didn’t.”

h

Yeah, TimTurner is a Muslim.

That's nice, in that case I'm at least willing to hear his argument for why these people aren't Muslim and why their followers are.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2016, 11:04:30 AM »

I almost answered yes just because I hope that he continues not to say it. I love how mad Cruz and Trump get over the fact that Obama hasn't said it yet. It's rather hilarious.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies