Stop pretending you care. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Stop pretending you care. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stop pretending you care.  (Read 2601 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: June 13, 2016, 03:33:15 PM »

The OP is another reminder of why this forum desperately needs a 'like'/upvote button.

Anyway, how dare you politicize this tragedy???!?  We need to wait until at least a week has passed, out of respect for the dead, and only then can we discuss doing nothing.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »

The OP is another reminder of why this forum desperately needs a 'like'/upvote button.

Anyway, how dare you politicize this tragedy???!?  We need to wait until at least a week has passed, out of respect for the dead, and only then can we discuss doing nothing.
That's up to the moderators, although there is always the "report to moderator" button.

What?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 12:23:59 AM »

My 81 year old Great Uncle has one though due to his Parkinsons he isn’t able to shoot it. Is he going to go out and kill people? Have you ever wondered that maybe, just maybe, some people like shooting. They like shooting at bottles hundreds of feet of way. It’s the same reason why 13 year old kids like blowing shit up with fire-works.

Plus the AR-15 is actually a popular hunting rifle; I’ve only been hunting a handful of times, and I’ve only actually managed to get a hit only once, so I’m not an expert on anything hunting related. But some of my friends, especially the real Florida crackers who grew up hunting and lived their whole lives in rural north Florida are very fond of the AR-15 for hunting. It's more popular than I suspected; hell, just a month ago I was sitting with a friend of mine who was showing me a video of helicopter based hog shooting with a gun that reminded me of something off a tank!

^ Extremely convincing argument for the value of keeping AR-15s legal.  Roll Eyes
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »

The right to bear arms is protected by the 2nd amendment.

Stunning insight.

The eventual goal should be to repeal the 2nd, just as the 21st repealed the 18th, and join the rest of the civilized world.  But baby steps, obviously.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:08:24 PM »

The right to bear arms is protected by the 2nd amendment.

Stunning insight.

The eventual goal should be to repeal the 2nd, just as the 21st repealed the 18th, and join the rest of the civilized world.  But baby steps, obviously.

And lets get rid of the 1st too.

Um, no?  But nice non sequitur.

I don't understand the left and their never ending quest to make America like the rest of Europe.

(psst, America isn't in Europe.)

I said "the rest of the civilized world", which includes far more than just Europe.  But in any case, it shouldn't be so difficult to understand; universal healthcare, no capital punishment, mass public transit, paid vacation time, paid maternity leave, lower incarceration levels, higher average life expectancy, sane attitudes toward climate change, the metric system, and even their f[Inks]ing cheese!  Cheesy

Go join those"civilzed" nations and their utopia free from guns.

I'd rather stay and help improve the country I grew up in, thanks.  And you're quite correct on one point; not being home to some kind of shooting literally every day does make any given place a utopia, compared to what we're living in.

(And psst, if you're going to put a word in quotes, thus drawing attention to it, try to spell it correctly.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »

That's quite a... graphic little fantasy you have there.  Are you ok?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »

Considering the odds (especially when compared to the myriad other ways one also has a tiny chance of dying from), worrying about being gunned down by some lunatic whenever you go out in public seems a bit silly to me.  If something that remote worries you, how can you possible get inside a moving vehicle without breaking down into tears?

Unlike gun owners, I'm not living in fear of others as you describe, exactly for the reasons you describe.  The reasons for wanting a ban on the type of gun that can mow down dozens of people in seconds is more borne out of a common sense solution to a recurring problem.

As gun nuts enjoy car metaphors so much, imagine that a particular model has a tendency to lose steering control and has killed several people already.  What typically happens to these car models in such cases?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies