Stop pretending you care. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:24:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Stop pretending you care. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stop pretending you care.  (Read 2592 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« on: June 13, 2016, 12:36:28 PM »

The guy was enough of a threat to be on the watch list ... f*** his rights, what about the rights of EVERYONE else?

That's what we are worried about.  Once we are done taking away the Muslims' rights without due process we all know the Mexicans, Blacks, Gays, etc are next.

The solution is to change the laws or at least change the Supreme Court so we can have justices that tell right wingers, no George Washington did not intend for there to be an AR-15 in every pot.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 04:06:51 PM »

While I'm not quite as on board with this snatching assault weapons as some others are, that well regulated militia clause was more expected to keep the state secure from external threats rather than internal despotism. While the English Bill of Rights of 1689 of which the Second Amendment drew its influence from, did explicitly secure the right to be free from forceful disarmament by the state, the Founding Father's intended the checks and balances of the Federal Republic to keep domestic tyranny at bay, not the arming of its citizens. Mob rule scared the sh**t out of them, they didn't want the masses deciding to burn the system down willy-nilly because of some perceived repression.

Once we attained an organized military, there was no longer a need for a well-regulated militia. I'm all in favor of people wanting to arm themselves, and I'm even willing to grant them their right to be paranoid of government repression. But this whole self-aggrandizing narrative of patriotic duty by excessive self-armament is bogus.

Consider for a moment the fact the Brits had a organized military, yet the Founding Fathers took up arms against it.  So, to say the 2nd Amendment only grants gun rights until the forming of a organized military would make the whole American Revolution hypocritical, would it not?

Thomas Jefferson owned slaves so...
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:47:01 PM »

I do care. I care so much about the people hurt that I dislike it when anyone uses this as a reason to push for more or less gun control.

That's pretty good.  Can I use it?

I'm going to tell my girlfriend my ambivalence is actually me expressing to her I care.  I'll tell her that me taking a late afternoon snooze on the couch after downing a couple of beers on Valentines Day shows my love.  Making a big production out of the day and taking her out for an expensive meal would be disrespectful and inappropriate.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:50:02 PM »

Well someone is definitely not pretending he cares.  Kind of refreshing in a sick sort of way.

No f-cks have been given.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies