London mayor bans "body shaming" advertising (that depicts revealing women)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:06:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  London mayor bans "body shaming" advertising (that depicts revealing women)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: London mayor bans "body shaming" advertising (that depicts revealing women)  (Read 2539 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »
« edited: June 14, 2016, 10:15:53 PM by MaxQue »

I kind of don't understand the enforcement. Plus I don't think it's especially priority, given that the UK is about to have to re-think their entire economy.

He bans them on buses / in the subway, both which are municipal services of London.

But what constitutes body shaming? What if it's a fat person wearing revealing clothes? I understand the motive but it seems like a weird thing to do imo.

It's written in the article (unlike the term "body shaming", which wasn't use by the mayor). Overly thin mannequins and so on.

But, sure, that's not a biaised Yahoo article that will learn you that.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2016, 10:15:23 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2016, 10:25:47 PM by Poo-tee-weet? »

At least framing it as "not wanting to give a platform to raunch" would be more honest than trying to claim it's about "body shaming."

It would. Unfortunately, it'd also deviate from what current activist-y leftist politics is allowed to be concerned with.

The discussion of 'body shaming' reminds me though of this really bemusing and frankly kind of hilarious ad campaign that the MBTA had a few months back. Some swimsuit and lingerie brand festooned the sides of the Green Line streetcars with pictures of models captioned things like 'LOVE THE SWIM YOU'RE IN' and 'NO RETOUCHING ON THESE GIRLS'. Entirely ignoring the fact that these are still, well, bikini models. It was funny on the same level as some of those Dove ads about loving your body or whatever.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2016, 10:25:24 PM »

(For reference: I don't really think this is that key an issue, at all (I'd be interested to know how much time and effort this required on Khan's part...), and characterizing the problem--even the specifically feminist side of the problem--with raunchy public advertising as one of 'body shaming' weirds me out because I've never really been on board with that kind of conceptual language, but if I had to choose whether I thought this was a good or bad decision I'd say it's a good one.)

Khan's stated rationale is odd by Atlas standards, but not in a way that should be surprising or that's inconsistent with certain types of gender politics-oriented leftism. Bringing the man's religion into it is unparsimonious as well as distasteful, but I guess it's kind of reassuring to see the usual suspects doing so. Some things never change.

So his stated rationale is consistent with a terrible ideology...not looking good for Mr. Khan.

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you?

As someone who is of the opinion that government's role should not be to infantilize us ad hide bad thoughts and bad ideas from us, yes I would.

Well, you would frame it that way, wouldn't you?

Public transit, which is what this applies to, is a public service. It's under Khan's control. As the head of his city's government, he's allowed to choose what kinds of vendors and what kinds of advertisers using what kinds of images he wants that government to give a platform to. As it happens, he's chosen to not give that public platform to raunch. Suck it up.

I agree that he is allowed to do it. I was rather saying that he should not be doing it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2016, 10:32:09 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2016, 10:48:45 PM by Poo-tee-weet? »

[Deleted for giving you and your views more attention than they're worth]
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2016, 11:07:18 PM »

You would use an escape hatch to get out of a debate, wouldn't you?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2016, 01:39:03 AM »

There's nothing worth 'debating'.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »

It's one particular type of ad he's banning (the 'Beach Body Ready' type), not all ads with revealing women; there's two swimwear ads - at least - at St James's Park station today.

TfL have always had rules on adverts.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 06:16:36 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2016, 06:19:38 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

This type of feminist policymaking is very stupid. Why target the symptoms of gender inequality using ineffectual policy tools that will accomplish nothing other than pissing everyone off? "Body shaming" will proceed, as it always has, whether or not there are adverts depicting unrealistic beauty standards; adverts use these beauty standards because, in large part, they're already present in society.

However, I have no time for people who don't think that "body shaming" is a problem. Maybe they haven't spent a lot of time with women because they are virgins but, as a matter of fact, a number of pathologies associated with body shaming are major problems for women. Men can't wrap their heads around "anorexia" or whatever because we aren't subject to strict standards. I suggest that you make an effort to understand this stuff though.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 06:19:26 PM »

This type of feminist policymaking is very stupid. Why target the symptoms of gender inequality using ineffectual policy tools that will accomplish nothing other than pissing everyone off?

I agree that it's kind of hollow and pointless, which is why I decided not to 'debate' it with PiT of all posters, but getting actively pissed off by it strikes me as...not the sort of reaction someone with a great personality or great priorities would have.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2016, 07:19:55 PM »

I'd use an escape hatch to get out of any conversation with a scumbag like you.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:53 PM »

This type of feminist policymaking is very stupid. Why target the symptoms of gender inequality using ineffectual policy tools that will accomplish nothing other than pissing everyone off?

I agree that it's kind of hollow and pointless, which is why I decided not to 'debate' it with PiT of all posters, but getting actively pissed off by it strikes me as...not the sort of reaction someone with a great personality or great priorities would have.

Who is getting actively pissed by it?  People are criticizing it on an internet message board.  Isn't that the whole point of this website?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 09:39:29 PM »

I can't tell if this is meant to be a dig at me or not, but I will say that hollow gesturing is an all-too common feature of modern feminist activism. It may help to ponder why.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 09:50:50 PM »

I can't tell if this is meant to be a dig at me or not, but I will say that hollow gesturing is an all-too common feature of modern feminist activism. It may help to ponder why.

I know why; I just don't think the reasons serve whatever your point is.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »

This conversation is ultimately pointless too and I think it is time that we put it to rest, but first I would mention that it pleases me to know that you seem to agree that hollow gesturing is a problem with much of feminism today. I don't know if you would say the same about me, but you are someone who thinks about issues and someone whose opinion I respect.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2016, 12:24:32 AM »

This conversation is ultimately pointless too and I think it is time that we put it to rest, but first I would mention that it pleases me to know that you seem to agree that hollow gesturing is a problem with much of feminism today. I don't know if you would say the same about me, but you are someone who thinks about issues and someone whose opinion I respect.

I definitely respect you a lot more than I did before after this last little interaction. Good talk.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »

However, I have no time for people who don't think that "body shaming" is a problem. Maybe they haven't spent a lot of time with women because they are virgins but, as a matter of fact, a number of pathologies associated with body shaming are major problems for women. Men can't wrap their heads around "anorexia" or whatever because we aren't subject to strict standards. I suggest that you make an effort to understand this stuff though.
While I totally agree with the bottom line of your post, men are subject to certain "body standards" (though perhaps a US/Europe difference might be at play here), albeit certainly less strict than for women, and quite some men do "understand" anorexia -- or even have it.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2016, 08:58:44 AM »

not surprising that atlas posters who've never interacted with a woman in real life would get so triggered about this tbh
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2016, 10:10:46 AM »

You'd think that right-wingers would welcome the new body standards, as they imply a renewed celebration of fertility (child-bearing is the reason that "normal" women's bodies are built the way that they are).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 02:41:50 PM »

You'd think that right-wingers would welcome the new body standards, as they imply a renewed celebration of fertility (child-bearing is the reason that "normal" women's bodies are built the way that they are).

That implies that there's anything ideologically or morally consistent about the contemporary right (or the contemporary mainstream left tbf).
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2016, 04:13:16 PM »

That implies that there's anything ideologically or morally consistent about the contemporary right (or the contemporary mainstream left tbf).

You're a good person, you know. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2016, 01:30:17 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2016, 01:32:51 AM by I did not see L.A. »

Freedom measure. Some culture wars ought to be fought with any means available, including the comparatively minor ones.

At least framing it as "not wanting to give a platform to raunch" would be more honest than trying to claim it's about "body shaming."

It would. Unfortunately, it'd also deviate from what current activist-y leftist politics is allowed to be concerned with.

Pretty sure the conceptually meaningful feminist term for it is objectification. I certainly think that's a more serious problem with these ads than body-shaming.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies