Trump: Bring Guns to Nightclub
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:23:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: Bring Guns to Nightclub
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trump: Bring Guns to Nightclub  (Read 2792 times)
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 07:09:50 PM »

More guns will only result in more gun-related violence. I've yet to hear a coherent rebuttal to this.

One person can only fire two guns (pistols) or one rifle/shotgun at one time.  With 300+ million guns in this country, we're already saturated if everyone had one gun.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 07:10:34 PM »

More guns will only result in more gun-related violence. I've yet to hear a coherent rebuttal to this.
There isn't one. I'm as pro-gun as you come and if a private business wants to allow guns in their establishment, that is their right. But having a bunch of gun toting people, many of whom are having a good time and drinking, are not capable of responding to a sober and cold blooded terrorist who is focused solely on killing people. The dark room, the flashing lights, the loud music, and so on would make this even worse.

Perhaps armed security guards who are focused on keeping order and are well trained shots with complete knowledge of the layout of the club could prevent a shooting like this, but armed patrons would make it worse.

More guns won't result in more gun violence, but it will make the incidents of gun violence worse. I was all for allowing gun owners to carry on planes back in 2012, until posters pointed out that it would result in adrenaline fueled passengers shooting at a potential hijacker in a crowded, pressurized cabin.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 07:14:22 PM »

There isn't one. I'm as pro-gun as you come and if a private business wants to allow guns in their establishment, that is their right. But having a bunch of gun toting people, many of whom are having a good time and drinking, are not capable of responding to a sober and cold blooded terrorist who is focused solely on killing people. The dark room, the flashing lights, the loud music, and so on would make this even worse.

Perhaps armed security guards who are focused on keeping order and are well trained shots with complete knowledge of the layout of the club could prevent a shooting like this, but armed patrons would make it worse.

More guns won't result in more gun violence, but it will make the incidents of gun violence worse. I was all for allowing gun owners to carry on planes back in 2012, until posters pointed out that it would result in adrenaline fueled passengers shooting at a potential hijacker in a crowded, pressurized cabin.

A designated guard then? I could get behind that. Also air marshals in planes do 20x the job of the TSA and their 95% failure rate and waste of time in the airport.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »

A designated guard then? I could get behind that. Also air marshals in planes do 20x the job of the TSA and their 95% failure rate and waste of time in the airport.

Abolish the TSA + have everyone bring guns everywhere = safety

God, libertarians, keep on keepin' on. Y'all crack me up.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 07:17:07 PM »

Coming from someone who is relatively anti-gun control, no sane individual should argue for open weaponry being allowed, much less applauded, in an establishment that serves alcohol.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 07:18:15 PM »

Basically my thoughts.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 07:19:23 PM »

America has 2x more guns per capita than any other nation. Those nations are still around and have much less violence than we do. The evidence speaks for itself.
''

Switzerland. BTW most of the gun crime in this country, an already grossly exaggerated statistic, is concentrated in areas where only criminals can easily obtain weapons. Go to some heavily armed town in Georgia. You're not likely to be shot there, now are you?

Switzerland doesn't allow open carry to anyone other than security personnel, and doesn't allow concealed carry to basically anyone.  You have to use your gun at the range or in a private location, not for self-defense.  And while it has one of the higher guns-to-people ratios in the world and a huge gun culture, it's nowhere close to the US.

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/2cl0uk/swiss_gun_ownership_and_gun_laws_condensed_into_a/

This swiss guy says that it's pretty easy to buy guns in Switzerland, but that they don't have the culture of carrying them in self-defense or to "combat tyranny" that we have in this insane country.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 07:20:25 PM »

Fundamental duty of care... any establishment that would permit armed people inside is contravening that. Add into it darkness, weird lights, booze etc and it's a recipe for total disaster.

When do the rights of people to enjoy their life without the risk of being shot by a lunatic with a legally obtained gun, or being shot by an untrained good Samaritan come first?

I look at it like healthcare - America has got its approach to healthcare arse-backwards because it thinks it's 'exceptional' or 'special' - country after country, including those that instituted reforms MUCH larger than Obamacare, access is key. Increase access to the system and outcomes improve. The reverse is the case for guns, society won't change its approach that guns are the answer to EVERY threat (as this thread shows, real or imagined) until you reduce their availability. The right in the archaic second amendment is not being contravened if you insist on reforms and ensure responsible practice of that right.  

Just so we're clear... I don't believe guns should be banned. They have their uses and I know are used for sport etc.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 07:51:36 PM »

Does Trump forget what happened to Plaxico Burress?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 08:00:28 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Of course more guns brings more gun violence, deaths and injuries.
Don't believe all the NRA bullsh*t.
It's like the oil industry "finding" their own expert scientists and trying to ram down our throats the fact that global warming is not happening, and if it is, it definitely has nothing to do with polluting human activity.

You are not a moderate. You are the worst kind of radical. How can you be so consistently on the wrong side of every issue?

News Flash for you Ljube.
You are the one "consistently on the wrong side of every issue," not me
(Except for this past weekend when you agreed that trump was disgusting and a narcissist for his tweets regarding the Orlando mass shooting.)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »

Homicides peaked in 1993 and have declined ever since.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 09:09:46 PM »

Sure, but despite the decline (NOT due to an increase in guns), the US still has vastly more homicides than other oecd countries, and also way more guns
Gabagool102
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »

Sure, but despite the decline (NOT due to an increase in guns), the US still has vastly more homicides than other oecd countries, and also way more guns

It's more of a race problem them anything. African Americans are only 12.6 percent of the population  but commit 50 percent of the homicides. It seems that if you remove African Americans entirely from the stats homicide would drop to near to Belgium levels.  To fix the problem we need to fix city crime first.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 09:34:25 PM »

The "good guy with a gun" myth purported by pro-gun lobbyists needs to stop. I'm willing to bet none of them have been in a gunfight.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 09:35:53 PM »

I carry in establishments that serves alcohol all the time.  The clubs that dont allow it simply asks me to disarm before entering.  Ive never had an issue even after a few drinks.  Here in GA its not a crime to enter bars or clubs with a firearm the only thing they can do is ask you to leave ( assuming they even know ).    I rather have someone inside that club engage the terrorist then to be rounded up like sheep.  

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 09:55:08 PM by libertpaulian »

It's more of a race problem them anything. African Americans are only 12.6 percent of the population  but commit 50 percent of the homicides. It seems that if you remove African Americans entirely from the stats homicide would drop to near to Belgium levels.  To fix the problem we need to fix city crime first.
What you just brought up is NOT a very politically correct thing to say, but it IS the giant pink elephant in the room.

PeteB
Canada

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 09:45:12 PM »

Basically my thoughts.

Same here!
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 11:25:43 PM »

This ^^^ oh, and this vvv

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/lies-damned-lies-and-statistics-why-you-should-never-listen-to-a-liberal-about-guns/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 11:43:04 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 11:48:15 PM by MK »

A lot of this was due to tougher crime sentences and progressive law enforcement.   Its well known to anyone who actual makes a living policing that there is a small percentage of people that commit most of the crimes over and over again.  You take them off the streets and most of your crime goes into the lock box with them.   Unfortunately liberals want to release criminals and hand out light sentences while blaming hard working Americans that DONT commit crimes.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 11:56:32 PM »

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-gun-industrys-biggest-threat-is-neither-obama-nor-clinton-2016-06-13?link=sfmw_tw
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 12:15:56 AM »

A lot of this was due to tougher crime sentences and progressive law enforcement.   Its well known to anyone who actual makes a living policing that there is a small percentage of people that commit most of the crimes over and over again.  You take them off the streets and most of your crime goes into the lock box with them.   Unfortunately liberals want to release criminals and hand out light sentences while blaming hard working Americans that DONT commit crimes.

Guess Obama's hometown needs some progressive law enforcement then.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 12:18:12 AM »

Interesting, well then liberals have nothing to worry about. The problem will eventually solve itself! Tongue
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 12:27:44 AM »

Guess Obama's hometown needs some progressive law enforcement then.

Many decades of liberal politics and corruption.   It did turn NYC around though. 
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 09:31:07 AM »

Oh, yeah, great proposal. Let all the drunk folks carry guns.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »

It's more of a race problem them anything. African Americans are only 12.6 percent of the population  but commit 50 percent of the homicides. It seems that if you remove African Americans entirely from the stats homicide would drop to near to Belgium levels.  To fix the problem we need to fix city crime first.

So why are there third world African countries with lower murder rates than the US if it is all about race?

Why are you guys so reluctant to compare the United States to the rest of the world?  You know there is a whole world outside of your gerrymandered congressional district.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies