Do young voters resonate with Trump's divisive and racist rhetoric? Really?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do young voters resonate with Trump's divisive and racist rhetoric? Really?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Do young voters resonate with Trump's divisive and racist rhetoric? Really?  (Read 3228 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »

The more Trump speaks, the more we get an idea of who and what he is really like.

I can't imagine that the young voters of today are drawn to a message like his, especially after the ascent of The Bern.

Do young voters resonate with Trump's B.S.?

Do you think the young Bernie voters are going to go for Trump in any significant numbers if they don't feel drawn to vote for Hillary?

Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 05:08:22 PM »

I have serious doubts Trump will get many Bernie supporters on his side. The ones he does get will be older, white people who are focused mainly on trade issues and don't trust Hillary (for whatever reason). Many young people, I can tell you, are VERY socially liberal (mostly on LGBT issues), and that means a lot to many of them. They also like Bernie's ideas on more government programs, tackling economic inequality, free college, health care, etc. They are also really alarmed at Trump's rhetoric and positions on immigration, and his proposed Muslim ban. So no.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »

Most young voters are beyond any hope and live in an alternate reality, so no.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:11:39 PM »

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »

smh damn youths with their tolerant attitudes.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 05:22:33 PM »

What about the young people who vote Republican? Is there such an animal? Is the Republican party attracting the youth vote at all? I'm so curious about how Bernie attracted them. It wasn't about the Dem party, it was about what his message was all about. The Republican party doesn't appear to do anything to attract the young vote, or the female vote for that matter.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 05:30:39 PM »

According to polling, young people are the group in America that hates Trump the most.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 05:38:42 PM »

What about the young people who vote Republican? Is there such an animal? Is the Republican party attracting the youth vote at all? I'm so curious about how Bernie attracted them. It wasn't about the Dem party, it was about what his message was all about. The Republican party doesn't appear to do anything to attract the young vote, or the female vote for that matter.

They aren't attracting young people nearly as well as they need to be because their party has gone off the deep end. Many GOP voters will not tolerate the changes needed to make their party more appealing.

I'm a firm believer that the GOP has effectively lost the Millennial generation and that their only hope is to successfully woo Generation Z, when the time comes. However, that generation will be even more diverse and Republicans will need to solve their issues with non-white voters to have a real impact. Social issues will continue to be a wedge as well.

They need to make big changes, not just repackage the same crap in hopes they can fool them. It is either this or pray the next generation naturally gravitates towards them for some unknown reason. This is not likely nor a wise plan ('plan' as in do nothing and hope for the best)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »

My guess is that a significant part of those voters supporting Trump is more concerned about "sending a message to the establishment", that actually contemplating what he's saying.

I see this "reasoning" time and time again in my country politics...
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 05:46:15 PM »

I see you're describing yourself.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »

I have said this before ....
In our world, our nation and our communities, we are ALL becoming slowly and more and more "liberal" as time continues to tick. Because information is easily available online and on our phones, we learn more easily about different cultures and people, and thus become "more accepting."
And the earlier in life we are exposed to this (as children), the more of a chance that you will follow an ideology that is more liberal as an adult (and then the more of a chance that you pass-on and educate your own children, with this same ideology and acceptance.)
This trend will not change.

I hate to say it, but the Republican Party is not a party of "accepting" different cultures and people. The GOP is stuck in the 1950's or 1960's. Members of this party continue to use vocabulary and statements, time and again, which refuses to embrace anyone who is not white, Christian and heterosexual.

Most young people today, don't "get this." They see and become friends with someone different from them, and don't have a problem. It's older generations that are stuck in time, and refuse to change. Luckily all of us old bastards, die off ..... and we leave the next generation to govern and make laws that allow ALL PEOPLE their right to live and be accepted in society, equally.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 06:12:48 PM »

The current voting age in college is beyond hope but my age Grades 5-12 are pretty conservative from my experiences.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »

The current voting age in college is beyond hope but my age Grades 5-12 are pretty conservative from my experiences.

As if 10-11 year old can form complex political views...
Curbstomp
Rookie
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 06:14:48 PM »

The Democrat Party claims to support gays/transsexuals but has thrown them under the bus because a Muslim attacked a gay hangout. LBGTs should disavow the Democrat Party.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 06:15:37 PM »

The Democrat Party claims to support gays/transsexuals but has thrown them under the bus because a Muslim attacked a gay hangout. LBGTs should disavow the Democrat Party.

LOL and support the GOP who has a known history of Anti-LGBT rhetoric from the CHRISTIAN RIGHT? LOOOOOOL!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 06:15:57 PM »

Delete your account.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 06:28:08 PM »

LOL and support the GOP who has a known history of Anti-LGBT rhetoric from the CHRISTIAN RIGHT? LOOOOOOL!

Republicans don't really agree with what LGBTs do but they aren't bombing/shooting them either.  That's far right Islamic nonsense.  I've seen conservatives stand up more for free speech and true equality lately (with the exception of the stupid bathrooms thing) than the left with their SJWs, third-wave feminists, and policies like siding with Islam over the LGBT community.  I don't think we need a Great Wall of Trump but some screening of all entries that want to come and live here would be a good start.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 06:30:14 PM »

In all likelihood, young voters would hold their noses and vote Clinton to stop Trump.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 06:39:10 PM »

The GOP is going socially liberal.  In 30 years it will be Republicans railing against immigrants for their social views. 
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 06:43:41 PM »

My guess is that a significant part of those voters supporting Trump is more concerned about "sending a message to the establishment", that actually contemplating what he's saying.

I see this "reasoning" time and time again in my country politics...

That is dangerous reasoning. Scary, but real. Not very well thought out, but I understand the feeling of hopelessness that some people might embrace when they feel their voice is consistently NOT heard.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 06:50:34 PM »

I have said this before ....
In our world, our nation and our communities, we are ALL becoming slowly and more and more "liberal" as time continues to tick. Because information is easily available online and on our phones, we learn more easily about different cultures and people, and thus become "more accepting."
And the earlier in life we are exposed to this (as children), the more of a chance that you will follow an ideology that is more liberal as an adult (and then the more of a chance that you pass-on and educate your own children, with this same ideology and acceptance.)
This trend will not change.

I hate to say it, but the Republican Party is not a party of "accepting" different cultures and people. The GOP is stuck in the 1950's or 1960's. Members of this party continue to use vocabulary and statements, time and again, which refuses to embrace anyone who is not white, Christian and heterosexual.

Most young people today, don't "get this." They see and become friends with someone different from them, and don't have a problem. It's older generations that are stuck in time, and refuse to change. Luckily all of us old bastards, die off ..... and we leave the next generation to govern and make laws that allow ALL PEOPLE their right to live and be accepted in society, equally.

Great insight. That the GOP is stuck in time is a quite appropriate description. And I agree that when older generations die off is when the GOP can transform. I do like that the younger generations are more accepting of differences; it's one of the admirable things about them.

Isn't this how it always is, that the young one rebel against their parents, against the "establishment" and against everything "old". I remember when I was in their shoes, my parents couldn't do anything right, neither could "society". Now I'm on the other side of the hill and I like the establishment pretty much...it's comfortable. I like change that happens slowly.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »

The GOP is going socially liberal.  In 30 years it will be Republicans railing against immigrants for their social views. 

Glad I'm not the only one that sees this.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 09:23:32 PM »

Clinton may very well outperform Obama 2012 among those under 30, so no.
Gabagool102
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 09:31:53 PM »

The more Trump speaks, the more we get an idea of who and what he is really like.

I can't imagine that the young voters of today are drawn to a message like his, especially after the ascent of The Bern.

Do young voters resonate with Trump's B.S.?

Do you think the young Bernie voters are going to go for Trump in any significant numbers if they don't feel drawn to vote for Hillary?

MUH RACISM. Stop with this meme it has no basis to it. Mexicans arent a race and hispanic isn't a race.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies