Do young voters resonate with Trump's divisive and racist rhetoric? Really?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:51:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Do young voters resonate with Trump's divisive and racist rhetoric? Really?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Do young voters resonate with Trump's divisive and racist rhetoric? Really?  (Read 3222 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »

I hate how we just group young voters. I mean most of us are more socially liberal and fiscally conservative than the last generation, but there are still significant differences between how many young voters think

In what universe is this?
Huh

Young people are not more 'fiscally conservative' than their relatives partly because that's not a real thing and partly because they economic agenda of the GOP is the most unpopular facet among young people. You are projecting.
How is being fiscally conservative "not a real thing"?
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 08:41:31 PM »

The current voting age in college is beyond hope but my age Grades 5-12 are pretty conservative from my experiences.
Yes, I agree.  Young boys especially are very conservative.  They love the army, guns, sports.  They have no use for "alternate lifestyles". 

I bet you can find some liberals in the corps, though not necessarily the stereotypical ones that perpetuate media. What does loving sports make you conservative, outside of being a "guy's" thing and athletes are more likely to be conservative then not?
Oh absolutely, no question about it there are liberals in the military.  Especially in the top brass (Colin Powell, Wesley Clark, etc.).  And a lot of athletes and sports fans are big time libs.
I'm talking about boys ages 8 through 16 or so.  You won't find a more reactionary age group of people than young boys.  LOL!  Ask a group of boys that age if they want to ban guns or give money to save the whale.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 08:44:26 PM »

The current voting age in college is beyond hope but my age Grades 5-12 are pretty conservative from my experiences.
Yes, I agree.  Young boys especially are very conservative.  They love the army, guns, sports.  They have no use for "alternate lifestyles". 

I bet you can find some liberals in the corps, though not necessarily the stereotypical ones that perpetuate media. What does loving sports make you conservative, outside of being a "guy's" thing and athletes are more likely to be conservative then not?
Oh absolutely, no question about it there are liberals in the military.  Especially in the top brass (Colin Powell, Wesley Clark, etc.).  And a lot of athletes and sports fans are big time libs.
I'm talking about boys ages 8 through 16 or so.  You won't find a more reactionary age group of people than young boys.  LOL!  Ask a group of boys that age if they want to ban guns or give money to save the whale.

There is no reason to think they'll stay that way. I'm sure boys that age were always like that.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 09:19:50 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2016, 09:25:33 PM by wolfsblood07 »

Yes, I agree.  Young boys especially are very conservative.  They love the army, guns, sports.  They have no use for "alternate lifestyles".  

Oh absolutely, no question about it there are liberals in the military.  Especially in the top brass (Colin Powell, Wesley Clark, etc.).  And a lot of athletes and sports fans are big time libs.
I'm talking about boys ages 8 through 16 or so.  You won't find a more reactionary age group of people than young boys.  LOL!  Ask a group of boys that age if they want to ban guns or give money to save the whale.

There is no reason to think they'll stay that way. I'm sure boys that age were always like that.
You are correct sir.  Typically boys are to the right of Hitler until they reach college.  Then they suddenly find themselves surrounded by intelligent professors of the far left, and students of various cultural backgrounds and ethnicities and (sadly) sexual orientations.  And they feel like they're suddenly smarter than their parents and they become liberals voting Green Party or Democratic.  But someday, hopefully, when they work for a living and have money and some wealth, they realize that they don't want to be taxed to death to fund every social program and big government bureaucracy that creates nothing but hardship and misery.  And then they come home to the GOP.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 09:41:59 PM »

Yes, I agree.  Young boys especially are very conservative.  They love the army, guns, sports.  They have no use for "alternate lifestyles".  

Oh absolutely, no question about it there are liberals in the military.  Especially in the top brass (Colin Powell, Wesley Clark, etc.).  And a lot of athletes and sports fans are big time libs.
I'm talking about boys ages 8 through 16 or so.  You won't find a more reactionary age group of people than young boys.  LOL!  Ask a group of boys that age if they want to ban guns or give money to save the whale.

You are correct sir.  Typically boys are to the right of Hitler until they reach college.  Then they suddenly find themselves surrounded by intelligent professors of the far left, and students of various cultural backgrounds and ethnicities and (sadly) sexual orientations.  And they feel like they're suddenly smarter than their parents and they become liberals voting Green Party or Democratic.  But someday, hopefully, when they work for a living and have money and some wealth, they realize that they don't want to be taxed to death to fund every social program and big government bureaucracy that creates nothing but hardship and misery.  And then they come home to the GOP.

Only, the GOP is being forced to morph as we speak, so coming home to what? will be the question. Especially if we have a female President, and especially if the up and coming Bernie backers get their way in the future, I foresee a new GOP...a more people friendly one. They'll have to change or die.
Camaro33
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.23, S: 0.17

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »

What about the young people who vote Republican? Is there such an animal? Is the Republican party attracting the youth vote at all? I'm so curious about how Bernie attracted them. It wasn't about the Dem party, it was about what his message was all about. The Republican party doesn't appear to do anything to attract the young vote, or the female vote for that matter.

Bernie attracted them with free college, 1% pay their fair share, and government programs. These kids all had free college. Their parents paid for it. They have no sense of reality so that explains the Bernie coalition for the young white vote.

I'm a 24 year old white male. Staunch Republican. We young Republicans exist but are very far and few between. We typically come from conservative, working class families who taught us there's no such thing as a free lunch growing up. This is true for myself and my few Republican friends. My liberal friends, well, mom and dad are rich and they do whatever they want.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »

I'm a white guy. I work. I pay taxes and have no problem doing so. I voted for Obama twice, and do not know who I will be voting for this year but it certainly will not be for Donald Trump. I most likely will never vote for a Republican in my lifetime unless they change the path they're on.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2016, 10:11:05 PM »

What about the young people who vote Republican? Is there such an animal? Is the Republican party attracting the youth vote at all? I'm so curious about how Bernie attracted them. It wasn't about the Dem party, it was about what his message was all about. The Republican party doesn't appear to do anything to attract the young vote, or the female vote for that matter.

Bernie attracted them with free college, 1% pay their fair share, and government programs. These kids all had free college. Their parents paid for it. They have no sense of reality so that explains the Bernie coalition for the young white vote.

I'm a 24 year old white male. Staunch Republican. We young Republicans exist but are very far and few between. We typically come from conservative, working class families who taught us there's no such thing as a free lunch growing up. This is true for myself and my few Republican friends. My liberal friends, well, mom and dad are rich and they do whatever they want.

There are so many misconceptions in this line of argumentation that I don't even know where to start.

Listen, I'm a 24 year old white male as well, although Hispanic. I know PLENTY of colleagues who are our same age or younger and are in 5 or 6-figure debt because their parents could not afford to cruise them through college in the way you're claiming they are being cruised.

My family was fiscally conservative and socially liberal, and we come from a very impoverished background. I've had to work my butt off through the system to pay for my education as my parents could barely afford to help me with my weekly food.

Our parents were able to get educated (or at least have the option to) and buy a car/house without having to work more than 1 job, while still getting in ridiculous swaths of debt while studying all in one swoop. The basic message is that we want to have our fair shot at this in the same way our parents did, and the fact that you're assuming some sort of moral high ground while attempting to shame political straw men students who have had to endure the levels of BS this system has predisposed them to is, frankly, shameful. From your behalf, it demonstrates a deep misunderstanding of as well as a disconnect from what most of the people from our generation are enduring.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2016, 11:04:25 PM »

The answer to this is no, and especially no outside of the Northeast. Trump doesn't. Republicans do generally do poorly with this generation, but Trump takes it to a whole 'nuther level. In my precinct, which consists entirely of student housing, Trump received fewer votes than Ben Carson, who had dropped out.

I hate how we just group young voters. I mean most of us are more socially liberal and fiscally conservative than the last generation, but there are still significant differences between how many young voters think

Huh

Young people are not more 'fiscally conservative' than their relatives partly because that's not a real thing and partly because they economic agenda of the GOP is the most unpopular facet among young people. You are projecting.

That's not the case at all. Young people generally dislike the GOP for being (perceived as) "anti-gay" or "anti-science" or some sh**t. Young right-leaning voters support the GOP uniformly for what they at least perceive as fiscal conservatism. This ties in a lot with the reason young Republicans rejected Trump in the primaries.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2016, 11:12:44 PM »

How do you know they all had free college? I don't understand why you have to be so demeaning. Just because people believe in a strong welfare state doesn't mean they are irresponsible freeloaders.

Thanks for the insulting and snobby post, I guess.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »

So if Trump does so poorly with the youth vote, and he does poorly with minorities and also females, how can he possibly win a general election?

Is it true that his base is mostly angry white males? That is not representative of our country. Is there enough of them to put Trump in the White House? There were sure enough of them to help him become the GOP nominee.

I guess it doesn't matter to his base that so many GOP politicians are distancing themselves from Trump. And all those outrageous things he says doesn't seem to matter either. But does it matter to them if Trump gets elected in a general election? Because if it does, good luck with attracting enough voters for that. Seems like the Trump campaign is just a reactionary one and that's it. And that's not good enough to win the big prize.

The people voting for Trump are just as one-dimensional in their approach as the GOP is regarding their efforts at appealing to a wide variety of voters, including the youth vote. Such a myopic and diluted strategy.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2016, 12:09:12 AM »

So if Trump does so poorly with the youth vote, and he does poorly with minorities and also females, how can he possibly win a general election?

He can't.
Angrie

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »

Recently, scientists observed two or three young conservatives in the wild. However, a follow-up study determined that they were actually "Libertarian-leaning conservatives." So yes, Trump definitely has the potential to break new lows with young voters.
Angrie

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2016, 09:05:07 AM »

As if 10-11 year old can form complex political views...

As if most 50 year olds can form complex political views...
Angrie

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2016, 09:08:45 AM »

The GOP is going socially liberal.  In 30 years it will be Republicans railing against immigrants for their social views. 

To an extent, it is like that in Europe. You heard that sort of rhetoric in Germany after the mass sexual assaults in Cologne, for example. The Orlando shooting would be the perfect opening for Trump to channel the Republican Party's racist tendencies in this sort of direction, which would be marginally better for the Republican Party's long term prospects than their current path.
Angrie

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2016, 09:12:13 AM »

MUH RACISM. Stop with this meme it has no basis to it. Mexicans arent a race and hispanic isn't a race.

As long as this sort of sentiment continues to Pervade the Republican party, the GOP's favorability ratings with Hispanics will not recover after Trump is no longer the face of the party. It will become almost as difficult for Republicans to improve with Hispanics as it has become for them to improve with blacks...
Angrie

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2016, 09:15:03 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2016, 09:25:43 AM by Angrie »

As if 10-11 year old can form complex political views...

Hey, I can remember debating with my teachers over CAFTA-DR and whether or not Joe Lieberman was a traitor back in like second grade.  I can also remember an insane amount of people I knew in elementary school taking sides Bush v. Kerry in 2004, and later McCain v. Obama in 2008 (first/second and fifth/sixth grade, respectively).
[/quote][/quote]

Yeah, but you are the sort of person who is posting on Atlas. Moreover, you have a Jim Webb sign. So you were not the typical 10-11 year old...
Angrie

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2016, 09:21:40 AM »

Huh

Being fiscally conservative is a "real thing."

The idea that young people are fiscally conservative is not a "real thing."
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2016, 01:53:54 PM »

Huh

Being fiscally conservative is a "real thing."

The idea that young people are fiscally conservative is not a "real thing."
no1 said young people are though

I said this and I'll insist on it; young voters (voters under 45 included, but discussing especially voters under 30) who vote Republican in the United States, with the possible exception of the Northeast, are primarily motivated by (what they see as) fiscal conservatism. By contrast, they tend to be less interventionist and less socially conservative than older Republicans.

The important qualifier, of course, is that most young voters don't vote Republican at all. But those who do are a fairly decent chunk, and like the Democrats the Republicans have some significant differences of opinion between the generations in their party.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »

Huh

Being economically right-wing is a thing. Being 'fiscally conservative is a cheap and meaningless Slogan.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »

After reading this thread and reading up on young voters vs Trump, I gotta hand it to the young voters who see this charlatan for what he is. Nothing Trump does or says appeals to the up and coming voter in America. Trump stands for everything that is old and dying in our country.

Trump's America is a relic from the past that can never be brought to life again. People have become more knowledgeable and sophisticated and aren't interested in discriminating against others on superficial criteria any longer.

Especially the young ones know that it's what's inside that counts. What is the heart and soul of a person like?

Unfortunately they don't much like Hillary either, but I am hoping that she will win them over after she gets in office by the things she actually does. If they vote for her in November that will be a bonus...at least they'll be giving her a chance.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2016, 09:17:29 AM »

I see people ignored my earlier post

Anyway, simple question: Why would young people vote for Trump? What rationale is there?
James Monroe

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »

Anyway, simple question: Why would young people vote for Trump? What rationale is there?

Possibilities that some young voters are: aggressively anti-illegal immigration, strict gun rights advocates, want to repeal Obamacare, sick of political correctness, blue collar workers, want the DC establishment to crumble. There are still young voters who view the world with the mind of your average low-info conservative.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2016, 10:26:59 AM »

We're gonna stick it to the Protestants.
We're gonna kill PC once and for all.
We're gonna make America just terrific in a way we have never seen before.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2016, 10:37:16 AM »

Enjoying the taste pf piss on your burger?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies