Sanders to hold video address for supporters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:13:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders to hold video address for supporters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Sanders to hold video address for supporters  (Read 5060 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2016, 07:57:58 PM »

Well, I'm not sure what the point of this was...

That's basically been my thinking on the Bernie campaign for the last couple of months.  

I've voted Clinton and have largely preferred her over Sanders but some of the whiny posts here are really tempting me to stay home and not vote...

If this is how people react to what was largely a civil campaign then maybe the country doesn't deserve better than Trump.

Respectfully, Sanders has a right to be heard and his issues debated. But there was literally NO point to this speech. There were two sentences about the democratic nominee.

His message about getting new people into public service is GOOD. Just as long as they are a little more reality-based.

jfern needs help. That level of paranoia, anger and bitterness cannot be good for mind, body or soul.

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2016, 07:58:03 PM »

Admire his resilience, even though altering the party platform is a rather pointless effort.
Clearly he's gearing up for a drop-out, evident by "we must prevent Trump at all costs."

Um, he should have been gearing up for this since the night he lost Ohio and North Carolina and Illinois and Missouri. The time for him take a breather and reflect is past. His endorsement and withdrawal are, at this point, long overdue. He's doing harm now, and I'm allowed to be pissed off about it.

Does it matter? Clinton's the nominee regardless.
psychprofessor

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2016, 07:58:43 PM »

sanders sounds like his slogan, backwards: me, not us. his ego rivals trump's now. i hope he continues to the convention so he can be denied a primetime speech.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »

He's not going to be allowed to speak at the convention if he doesn't concede, so he's really accomplishing nothing by running a race that is really over.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2016, 08:00:01 PM »

I've voted Clinton and have largely preferred her over Sanders but some of the whiny posts here are really tempting me to stay home and not vote...

If this is how people react to what was largely a civil campaign then maybe the country doesn't deserve better than Trump.

If annoymous forum posts are enough to sway you from voting then I really dont know what to tell you.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2016, 08:00:48 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2016, 08:02:24 PM by Hammy »

That's basically been my thinking on the Bernie campaign for the last couple of months.  

Respectfully, Sanders has a right to be heard and his issues debated. But there was literally NO point to this speech. There were two sentences about the democratic nominee.

His message about getting new people into public service is GOOD. Just as long as they are a little more reality-based.

jfern needs help. That level of paranoia, anger and bitterness cannot be good for mind, body or soul.

To me, the message came off as a call to action from his supporters, many of which said they were giving up on being politically active if he didn't win--if they stay home the Republicans will continue to control most everything at state level since the turnout during midterms tends to be so low. This was putting it to his supporters, fine tuned to the way they needed to hear it, not to let this keep happening.

If annoymous forum posts are enough to sway you from voting then I really dont know what to tell you.

I have little faith as it is in a country that allowed Trump to get the nomination, and if Clinton's supporters are going to act like Trump's, then the way I see it this country will get what it deserves if Trump is elected.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »

Bernie should drop out, keep his delegates and use them at the convention for the platform
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2016, 08:02:19 PM »

He's not going to be allowed to speak at the convention if he doesn't concede, so he's really accomplishing nothing by running a race that is really over.

Me on July 25th

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2016, 08:03:06 PM »

Depending on how things go, his delegates can put his name into nomination where he would be guaranteed a speaking spot. Same thing happened with Jerry Brown in 1992. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2016, 08:03:49 PM »

Plus he's starting to burn up his leverage. His support might be fervent but it is shrinking.

To me, the message came off as a call to action from his supporters, many of which said they were giving up on being politically active if he didn't win--if they stay home the Republicans will continue to control most everything at state level since the turnout during midterms tends to be so low. This was putting it to his supporters, fine tuned to the way they needed to hear it, not to let this keep happening.

As I said, calls to action and political engagement are great and positive. Hopefully they'll remember that in 2018 and do their duty.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I beg your pardon?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2016, 08:05:39 PM »

I beg your pardon?

So much salty whining about a speech calling for people to remain engaged in the process.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2016, 08:06:33 PM »

Sorry Atlasian Hillbots. Party to save, platforms to change, grassroots vols to encourage to run for office. Apologies he couldn't roll over and lie down for you.

Seriously, your candidate got SoS and her campaign debts retired. Chillllll

He actually loses leverage for all those things the longer he waits to concede though. He had maximum leverage on June 7th and it's been gradually dissipating since then, particularly with Trump's implosion and Hillary's surge in the polls. At this point it's just counterproductive.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2016, 08:07:52 PM »

Sorry Atlasian Hillbots. Party to save, platforms to change, grassroots vols to encourage to run for office. Apologies he couldn't roll over and lie down for you.

Seriously, your candidate got SoS and her campaign debts retired. Chillllll

He actually loses leverage for all those things the longer he waits to concede though. He had maximum leverage on June 7th and it's been gradually dissipating since then, particularly with Trump's implosion and Hillary's surge in the polls. At this point it's just counterproductive.

I agree with this, but I have to hope there is some sort of plan in place.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2016, 08:08:16 PM »

Depending on how things go, his delegates can put his name into nomination where he would be guaranteed a speaking spot. Same thing happened with Jerry Brown in 1992. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
But why the hell should he risk that and risk that his agenda not be put into place.  Acting like this does nothing for him, especially since most of his supporters are already consolidating around Hillary.  Why would she give him the time of day if his supporters are already with her.

I beg your pardon?

So much salty whining about a speech calling for people to remain engaged in the process.
None of what I've seen pertains anywhere to that.  Your reading too much to what you see on the internet.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2016, 08:10:16 PM »

This wasn't a speech aimed at Hillary supporters you know...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2016, 08:12:05 PM »

A reminder that 44% of Democrats want Bernie to run as an independent.
http://www.defenddemocracy.press/sanders-independent-run/

And he's almost certainly not going to do that. You all are the sorest winners in the world.

Yeah, that's because they've been made to think she's a corrupt corporatist warmongering shill by a candidate who never had a chance.

To the person who asked why it matters that Sanders didn't drop out earlier, this is why.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2016, 08:12:20 PM »

Of course it wasn't.  But it gives hope to his supporters who aren't like you and see he is done. 
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »

I beg your pardon?

Again, I commended that part, but think he's undermining his position long-term and looks increasingly graceless. All he's doing is raising eyebrows among his more reasonable voters and feeding the ire of the unhinged. This primary is over, you want to influence change in the platform, great... but after losing pretty convincingly you don't get to threaten the nominee with pulling support unless you get what you want. You deserve a debate and a fair hearing and vote on those issue you believe in. But with each day, support will peel away and your leverage will weaken.

We know, but he's got a responsibility and he's being very slow in undertaking it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2016, 08:14:17 PM »

I think he made many good points in his speech, but the time really has come for him to bow out. His revolution will only be able to continue if keeps his supporters involved through November. Contesting the convention and inevitably losing isn't going to accomplish that, and he obviously realizes that. I'm not sure what his thinking is, at this point.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2016, 08:15:54 PM »

Its sounds like hes planning to endorse her eventually. Still, if he doesn't get his way I'm worried about a Jerry Brown 92 redux.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2016, 08:16:41 PM »

But why the hell should he risk that and risk that his agenda not be put into place.  Acting like this does nothing for him, especially since most of his supporters are already consolidating around Hillary.  Why would she give him the time of day if his supporters are already with her.

Personally I think he's slowly trying to bring down his campaign. It was 11 before the last major primary day, 10 the night of, and down to like a 7 or a 6 tonight. I imagine he will continue to slowly bring things down and he said he would in the address, or at least I hope.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »

Its sounds like hes planning to endorse her eventually. Still, if he doesn't get his way I'm worried about a Jerry Brown 92 redux.

He knows how his supporters are, he's become well familiarized with all the Clinton booing we saw at his rallies. He's doing what I've pretty much expected he'd do--try to keep them engaged and let them down very slowly--he probably won't formally withdraw until close to the end of the month. If he leaves too early many of his supporters will likely turn on him and end up going to Trump out of spite.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2016, 08:19:04 PM »

Personally I think he's slowly trying to bring down his campaign. It was 11 before the last major primary day, 10 the night of, and down to like a 7 or a 6 tonight. I imagine he will continue to slowly bring things down and he said he would in the address, or at least I hope.
At this point, I don't really know anymore.  I thought he would.  But it seems he wants to fight, which he will lose very badly.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2016, 08:19:22 PM »

Let's keep this in perspective, this was a message to his supporters to thank them and carefully explain that he will be endorsing Clinton eventually and that people who worked for and agree with his platform are desperately needed in local and state politics.  Are you folks really disagreeing with that?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies