Who are your family members voting for in next weeks EU referendum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:14:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Who are your family members voting for in next weeks EU referendum
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who are your family members voting for in next weeks EU referendum  (Read 1116 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2016, 03:15:30 PM »

For British Posters only or people who have relatives that can vote in the referendum.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 03:22:53 PM »

My family is voting no because they hate UKIP even more than I do.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:35:44 PM »

Everyone but my racist uncle is voting Remain; the only person that I'm doubtful about is my gran but said nice things about Europe before and unless the polls were very, very wrong the odds would suggest a Remain vote anyway.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »

My Dad, brothers and sisters are all voting remain.

My Grandad, despite living in possibly the whitest area in the whole UK is voting out, because of "immigration". Which has caused some friction seeing as my Mum is a foreigner and neither me nor any of my siblings were born in the UK.

Curiously, he's an SNP voter as well
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »

and unless the polls were very, very wrong the odds would suggest a Remain vote anyway.

Not the latest ones...unless you mean your gran's likely vote based on the polling internals?

Dad: Strongly for Leave
Mum: Apolitical but will probably vote Leave
Maternal grandmother: Probably for Leave
Maternal uncles: Likely both for Leave
Maternal aunts: One is for Leave, the other is like my mum - but probably less likely to vote
Paternal aunt: Don't know, would lean towards saying that she's for Leave
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 04:03:42 PM »

My family is voting no because they hate UKIP even more than I do.
But wouldn't voting leave because end UKIP once and for all?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 04:03:49 PM »

I'm from Scotland; even if there was a swing like the national one here Remain would still have a hefty lead.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »

Dad - passionately for Remain (and I've never seen him passionate about politics before), but he is definitely on the 'economix Armageddon' side.

Mum - remain (she worries her pensions will be wiped out if we leave)

Brother - apathetic remain

Grandma - strong Leave, she believes that if we stay we will be literally subsumed in a European state and they will abolish the monarchy. She also claimed that we aren't safe with the EU, saying "they didn't help with that bleeding bloke, the young bloke with the bombs" (Kim jong Un).

Granddad - claimed swing voter, but I think he's just saying it to seem neutral.

Great Aunt - Remain (literal intellectual elite)

Uncle - remain (works in trade across borders for a department store)

Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 07:41:23 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 05:26:34 AM by Anton Kreitzer »

My dad's originally from the UK, and most of his family still live there.

Uncle 1 (younger of Dad's two older brothers): Leave, votes Tory in general elections (don't know how he voted last year, plus, I've heard him complain plenty about the EU over the years, from over-regulation, to loss of national sovereignty (he does support the NHS, BBC and a decent sized national government though) to what he sees as a "threat" from the Poles, although he's travelled to many different nations all over the world... my uncle has a few NIMBY tendencies).
Auntie (Uncle 1's wife): Possibly Leave? Labour voter, although shares similar views with my uncle on immigration.
Cousin 1: Not registered to vote, I'm fairly certain she's never voted, doesn't really care either way.
Cousin 2: Likely Leave (from an anti-superstate, not anti-immigrant point of view)
Cousin 2's fiancee: Most likely Remain.
Cousin 2's son: Too young to vote

Uncle 2, Dad's eldest brother, has lived in Spain since the mid-1990s, and doesn't care for politics.

Dad's youngest cousin: Remain
Dad's youngest cousin's husband: Definitely remain (former Labour voter, and cynical of most MPs, although quite the fan of Dennis Skinner, but would never vote for "Farage and his clan", to quote him).
Don't know how their daughters would vote, and their grandsons are way too young to vote.

Dad's middle cousin: Remain?
Dad's middle cousin's husband: No real idea
Again, no idea how their son and daughter would vote, and their grandchildren are way too young to vote.

Dad's eldest cousin: Likely Remain
Dad's eldest cousin's son: Remain (socially progressive, bit of an alternative type, not really much of a voter though)

If my dad still lived in the UK, he'd vote Remain, while my grandad would be voting Leave (Grandad would have voted for Enoch Powell if he lived in that part of England) if he was still living there, and Grandma (R.I.P.) would also be a Leave voter.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 01:45:15 AM »

Ooh, this is fun!

Me (Commonwealth citizen): strong remain
Husband (UK citizen, lib dem): strong remain
His parents (70+, tories): strong remains, both
His brothers and sisters and their spouses: haven't asked, but very likely remain.

Come to think of it, the only family I have that I think might vote Leave is my mom, but she's not in the UK so ineligible ... thankfully.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 05:22:59 PM »

I only know how my parents are voting but they are both staunch Leave.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 05:30:01 PM »

Mum - Remain
Dad - Remain
Brothers - Remain, Remain
Sister - Remain
In-laws - Remain, Remain.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 03:35:59 AM »

My dad's originally from the UK, and most of his family still live there.

Uncle 1 (younger of Dad's two older brothers): Leave, votes Tory in general elections (don't know how he voted last year, plus, I've heard him complain plenty about the EU over the years, from over-regulation, to loss of national sovereignty (he does support the NHS, BBC and a decent sized national government though) to what he sees as a "threat" from the Poles, although he's travelled to many different nations all over the world... my uncle has a few NIMBY tendencies).
Auntie (Uncle 1's wife): Possibly Leave? Labour voter, although shares similar views with my uncle on immigration.
Cousin 1: Not registered to vote, I'm fairly certain she's never voted, doesn't really care either way.
Cousin 2: Likely Leave (from an anti-superstate, not anti-immigrant point of view)
Cousin 2's fiancee: Most likely Remain.
Cousin 2's son: Too young to vote

Uncle 2, Dad's eldest brother, has lived in Spain since the mid-1990s, and doesn't care for politics.

Dad's youngest cousin: Remain
Dad's youngest cousin's husband: Definitely remain (former Labour voter, and cynical of most MPs, although quite the fan of Dennis Skinner, but would never vote for "Farage and his clan", to quote him).
Don't know how their daughters would vote, and their grandsons are way too young to vote.

Dad's middle cousin: Remain?
Dad's middle cousin's husband: No real idea
Again, no idea how their son and daughter would vote, and their grandchildren are way too young to vote.

Dad's eldest cousin: Likely Remain
Dad's eldest cousin's son: Remain (socially progressive, bit of an alternative type, not really much of a voter though)

If my dad still lived in the UK, he'd vote Remain, while my grandad would be voting Leave (Grandad would have voted for Enoch Powell if he lived in that part of England) if he was still living there, and Grandma (R.I.P.) would also be a Leave voter.

Turns out Cousin 2 didn't vote, haven't heard anything yet from my other relatives.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies