What is your dream tax plan? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:17:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  What is your dream tax plan? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is your dream tax plan?  (Read 2746 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: June 23, 2016, 03:43:04 AM »

A combination of parts of this:
Lower nominal corporate tax rate to OECD average, eliminate all loopholes (get money out of politics first).

Aggressively tax estates above $1mil at close to 100%

Eliminate payroll taxes. 

Adjust income tax afterwards as necessary to be revenue neutral.  Maybe if someone can make a consumption tax really, really progressive and enforceable, do that instead, but I doubt it.

And this:
-Keep estate tax, consider raising it for mega-incomes
-Progressive capital gains tax and flat rate on income above $1 million or so
-Eliminate corporate income tax, replace with Progressive Consumption Tax

Personally, I'd rather shift more of the burden to consumption and passive earnings and lower the burden on income.  Definitely a fan of the VAT.

1.Eliminate the business part of the payroll tax and eliminate corporate income taxes and replace them with higher capital gains and dividend taxes, this way, the distributed profits of the business as well as personal profits made on the sale of a business are taxed, but not the reinvested profits and certainly not any federal taxes on a business whether it makes a profit or not, which is what a payroll tax is.  The business portion of payroll taxes are literally taxes on jobs and job creation. They make absolutely no sense.

2.I agree with the very high estate taxes, but I'd kick it to nearly 100% at the $5m level, not the $1m level.

3.GST. Sales taxes are easily made progressive with rebates.  It's much simpler to tax everything (both goods and services) at the same rate rather than giving exemptions for anything based on the consumer likely being poorer.  Again, the way to address that is with payments to poorer people and to seniors who already paid income taxes all of their lives, and are now expecting a lower income tax rate based on reduced income and didn't take into account a new sales tax in their retirement planning.

Of course, most of what I suggest here are the proposals of the 'economist party' which is so named not just because this is what most economists would propose, but also because economists know that the majority of the public would never vote for these proposals.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies