Christian Hypocrites Celebrate Orlando Shooting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:42:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Christian Hypocrites Celebrate Orlando Shooting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christian Hypocrites Celebrate Orlando Shooting  (Read 3512 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2016, 03:56:44 PM »

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/these-7-christian-leaders-showed-their-love-by-celebrating-the-orlando-nightclub-massacre/

Tell me again how Christianity is the loving religion.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 04:02:18 PM »

[brown line]No, these are Muslim leaders.[/brown line]
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 04:07:13 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2016, 04:09:35 PM by shua »

Ok, some of these are just downright awful, but anyone want to explain how this Pastor Perry Noble's comments fit into this?  Seems to me like he was putting forth a very compassionate and humble message.  I get it if you think he's wrong that Jesus is the answer to the world's problems, but he was certainly not celebrating anyone dying.

also the person who wrote the article can't count apparently.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 05:23:08 PM »

Funny I didn't hear this on Sunday. I remember us having a special moment of prayer for various affected groups, including the GLBT community.

Maybe Christianity is a pretty diverse religion?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 05:34:45 PM »

http://www.youngcons.com/thousands-of-muslims-celebrate-orlando-terror-attacks-on-al-jazeera-facebook-page/

Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »

Ok, some of these are just downright awful, but anyone want to explain how this Pastor Perry Noble's comments fit into this?  Seems to me like he was putting forth a very compassionate and humble message.  I get it if you think he's wrong that Jesus is the answer to the world's problems, but he was certainly not celebrating anyone dying.

also the person who wrote the article can't count apparently.

Perry Noble's comments definitely were not celebrating this.  I am gay and I go to his church.

Also most of these people hold beliefs well outside mainstream Christianity. 
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 05:03:42 AM »

Every group has their scumbags. These people would be scumbags religious or not.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 07:37:21 AM »

These people are f-ed up, but they are in the minority. Thank goodness for people like the catholic bishop who condemned all people who use religion to persecute gays.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 09:43:14 AM »

"Leaders"? Other than Pat Robertson I doubt that term applies to anyone on this list. Westboro Baptist in particular is reviled by 99% of even the most hardcore fundamentalist sects.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 10:17:11 AM »

Every group has their scumbags. These people would be scumbags religious or not.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 12:39:51 PM »

"Leaders"? Other than Pat Robertson I doubt that term applies to anyone on this list. Westboro Baptist in particular is reviled by 99% of even the most hardcore fundamentalist sects.

Well, Perry would probably be considered a leader in South Carolina.  Over 57000 people were at the Easter services this years.  His comments weren't hateful though. 
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »

The Christians here are missing the point of this thread.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »

A lot of these folks are basically media whores.  Steven Anderson (along with Westboro, of course) especially comes to mind.  His church has less than 150 people, yet he's been interviewed by radio stations in multiple nations and manages to get himself in the news every month or so.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 05:17:05 PM »

Would you like to help us understand?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 10:50:51 PM »

People are blaming Muslim leaders for not condenming extremists enough, yet Christian leaders fail to critizise their own extremists.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 06:02:31 AM »

ME NO LIKE SHOOTING.  OFFENSE AgAAInST ONE FLORIDIAN OFFENSE AGAAINST ALL!

Mods, pls ban
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 09:11:03 AM »

As a Christian I strongly condemn any people calling themselves Christians, who celebrate the killing of innocent 49 people, no matter the victims race, religion or sexual preference. LGBT people should have the right to practice their sexuality without fear of violence.

See people how easy that was, it makes one think why some other groups have such a hard time coming with the same kind of condemnation.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 11:31:26 AM »

People are blaming Muslim leaders for not condenming extremists enough, yet Christian leaders fail to critizise their own extremists.

Honestly I think leaders from both faiths have other things to do than repeatedly commenting on every extremist nutjob out there.  It's not like they get any positive media attention when they do anyway.  In the US, most imams and priests and pastors are telling their flocks that hatred like this is not okay.  And even when Perry Noble makes this message, some dumb website posts it as though he said the exact opposite of what he actually said.   If there's one thing we can count on the media doing, it is misinterpreting and misunderstanding religion.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2016, 11:44:11 AM by Tartarus Sauce »

Honestly I think leaders from both faiths have other things to do than repeatedly commenting on every extremist nutjob out there.  It's not like they get any positive media attention when they do anyway.  In the US, most imams and priests and pastors are telling their flocks that hatred like this is not okay.  And even when Perry Noble makes this message, some dumb website posts it as though he said the exact opposite of what he actually said.   If there's one thing we can count on the media doing, it is misinterpreting and misunderstanding religion.

I think the true irony is that the same Christian extremists who celebrate attacks on gays are likely overlapping with the group of Christian who criticize Islam for "not doing enough about its extremists." There's also the double standard within the media at large, particularly the right wing venues, to not cover this type of behavior as heavily as the extremists within the Muslim community. They most certainly didn't make the same fuss over the kook that shot up the planned parenthood.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 02:59:48 AM »

Honestly I think leaders from both faiths have other things to do than repeatedly commenting on every extremist nutjob out there.  It's not like they get any positive media attention when they do anyway.  In the US, most imams and priests and pastors are telling their flocks that hatred like this is not okay.  And even when Perry Noble makes this message, some dumb website posts it as though he said the exact opposite of what he actually said.   If there's one thing we can count on the media doing, it is misinterpreting and misunderstanding religion.

I think the true irony is that the same Christian extremists who celebrate attacks on gays are likely overlapping with the group of Christian who criticize Islam for "not doing enough about its extremists." There's also the double standard within the media at large, particularly the right wing venues, to not cover this type of behavior as heavily as the extremists within the Muslim community. They most certainly didn't make the same fuss over the kook that shot up the planned parenthood.

I think the number of dead plays a role here.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 02:41:19 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 02:43:35 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Of course, but even if it was a smaller level shooting, the right wing media would engage in a game of politicizing the profile of the shooter. Terror is terror no matter the creed of the perpetrator, but there are many within the religious right who are interested in pointing all the fingers at one segment of terrorists.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 03:07:30 PM »

I wish it did.  50 dead with others in the hospital dying should really make someone question the need for AR-15s being freely available.  But sadly 50 just doesn't seem to be a remarkable number to these people.  1 Muslim though...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 04:59:52 PM »

In the US, most imams and priests and pastors are telling their flocks that hatred like this is not okay.

But many also excuse other forms of hatred. They even weave it into their faith. Homophobia is homophobia; doesn't matter how it manifests itself. The intent is to discriminate, to label, to divide and to de-humanise.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 06:44:28 PM »

Why aren't any Jewish people celebrating? The most anti-gay stuff in the Bible is in Leviticus.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies