Appeals Court Upholds FCC's Net Neutrality Regulations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:25:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Appeals Court Upholds FCC's Net Neutrality Regulations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Appeals Court Upholds FCC's Net Neutrality Regulations  (Read 313 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »

This is a big win for the Obama administration:

Court upholds net neutrality

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:31:12 PM »

This is one of those things I should probably know and care more about...I just don't.  This is good news, yes?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:06:05 PM »

This is one of those things I should probably know and care more about...I just don't.  This is good news, yes?

Very good, yes. A few ISPs have had a chokehold on the industry for years now and since cord-cutting became a thing, they have been trying to use their position to fatten their bottom line.

Net neutrality involves ISPs manipulating people's bandwidth (data) to/from certain sites so they can charge those websites more money to serve data to you/others. It's completely unnecessary except when wanting to create profit off features of the Internet that have always been this way. ISPs can essentially make winners or losers out of websites based on how much they can pay. Further, they can charge media websites/services fees while exempting their own video services, giving them an unfair advantage. This is really bad because of cord-cutting and the fact that only a handful of ISPs serve most of America.

There are other aspects of this (such as backend carrier fees), but net neutrality serves to prevent ISPs from further monopolizing the industry and using their monopolies to screw e-businesses/websites/people purely for financial gain.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »

In short, an ISP could sign a deal with Youtube, so Youtube is quicker and the other video websites for very slow.

It would allow ISPs to give a priority for some websites and slow down very much other ones.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies