2 Year Old Attacked by Alligator in Orlando
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:04:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2 Year Old Attacked by Alligator in Orlando
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2 Year Old Attacked by Alligator in Orlando  (Read 2318 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2016, 05:14:05 AM »

As if Orlando didn't have enough tragedy over the past week and a half.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alligator-attacks-child-disney-florida/index.html
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 07:19:11 AM »

If only the kid had an alligator of his own!  No more alligator free zones!  Why does anybody need a 10 foot long alligator, isn't a 6 foot long one enough?  THEY ARE DESIGNED ONLY TO KILL!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »

Obama has labeled this terrorism.  Be vigilant.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:00:15 AM »

This is not funny at all and extremely sad.  It sucks what some internet anonymity can do to a person's empathy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:15:58 AM »

Are they sure it wasn't a dingo?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 10:15:48 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2016, 05:54:41 PM by Meclazine »

As an Australian, pretty confident it was an alligator.

Just a horrible scenario for the parents.

The father wrestled the alligator with his child in it's mouth.

That is a life sentence of guilt right there.

Any parent would understand the tragedy of that situation.

I have met a mother who went across a flooded river in Australia with her husband and two children and the car was taken down the river.

The two children could not get out and drowned whilst the parents survived.

She goes through awful pain ten years later.

Just a tragedy, plain and simple.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 10:53:18 AM »

I have an ironclad alibi.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 01:28:12 PM »

I'm already pitching a script to Lifetime. If all goes well, it'll be on the air in 2018.

The working title is "A Cry In The Park."

(I'm going to hell).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 04:53:08 PM »

In depressing, "small world" news, one of the parents grew up next door to my wife.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »

This is a huge failure by Disney, and they will end up giving this poor family a lot of money. A "no swimming" sign is nowhere near adequate for a man-made body of water that is known to have alligators.  And Disney also has movie parties right on these waters!  I hope heads roll after this.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 08:06:47 PM »

This is a huge failure by Disney, and they will end up giving this poor family a lot of money. A "no swimming" sign is nowhere near adequate for a man-made body of water that is known to have alligators.  And Disney also has movie parties right on these waters!  I hope heads roll after this.
It's pretty common knowledge among Floridians to avoid bodies of water like that, and more so among tourist, many of whom joke about their fear of encountering a gator in the swale outside their timeshare. I'm not blaming the parents, nor do I think they don't have standing here, but the signs aren't the issue.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 10:32:21 PM »

How the hell was the lagoon not barricaded?  This is Disney, FFS.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »

I don't think there are normally alligators in this lake as it is man made; some snuck in through a series of canals to look for females as it is mating season
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »

You've never been there, especially on their golf courses, have you?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »

I feel so sorry for those parents. This type of event happening to my kid would kill me.

Who in heck ever wants to live in Florida with the humidity, the alligators, the BIG bugs that abound....not to mention the hurricanes!

Hell on Earth.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 02:42:12 PM »

I feel so sorry for those parents. This type of event happening to my kid would kill me.

Who in heck ever wants to live in Florida with the humidity, the alligators, the BIG bugs that abound....not to mention the hurricanes!

Hell on Earth.

It's more the people that keep me away from Florida:

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 02:46:57 PM »

Hell on Earth.

I mean in Florida's defense I could say "why would I want to live in California" "the people, the earthquakes, the droughts, the pollution, the high taxes etc.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 03:11:34 PM »

Hell on Earth.

It's more the people that keep me away from Florida:

LOL!
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »

Hell on Earth.

I mean in Florida's defense I could say "why would I want to live in California" "the people, the earthquakes, the droughts, the pollution, the high taxes etc.

Yes you could say that. We don't have much pollution any more, though. Used to be bad but we pay high gas taxes to help keep that in line, plus other measures are taken for sure.

A devastating earthquake happens far less frequently than hurricanes -- which have a "season" named after them.

I personally cannot stand humidity, so droughts suit me fine. We always get through them, and they really don't affect the quality of our lives.

I know it's all a matter of preference, but no one could ever pay me enough to live in FL. California is the most beautiful and dynamic state in the country....that's my bias. And NO alligators except in zoos!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 11:50:50 PM »

Because most people don't go into random lagoons that only serve drainage/decorative purposes. Frankly, I think the signs that warn of alligators weren't even necessary to begin with. People down here don't go into them.

Most people found in the mouths of alligators usually died of something else. A few months back, a guy had a heart attack while fishing and fell out of his boat and drowned. His corpse was found days later, being devoured by gators, but the autopsy showed he was dead.

Another interesting gator incident involved a 22 year old burglar who got caught inside a house located in some gated golf course community and took off, fleeing the police by jumping into a lake and attempting to swim to safety. The gators got him. But cases in which fatal gator attacks actually occur are quite rare. I've certainly only heard of a handful.

Actually, a few years back in Boynton where I grew up, there was a massive gator (forget the actual size) that was showing up in peoples backyards and pools. Each time Animal Control was called, it managed to allude them. It made four or five more appearances across the eastern side of town (where I lived) and was eventually caught in the backyard of some kid who I went to middle school with. The "manhunt" (gatorhunt?) for it was sort of a bemusing spectacle that made the news each night.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 11:55:12 PM »

What purpose do these gators serve?  I say shoot on sight, especially considering how many people they kill.  What a terrible tragedy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 12:04:12 AM »

What purpose do these gators serve?  I say shoot on sight, especially considering how many people they kill.  What a terrible tragedy.
Eh, they're (mostly) not harming people. A fence wouldn't do much, considering gators have been known to do...well...this.

I first saw that video in High School. At least in the schools I went too, we spent at least 25%-50% of our Science Class watching stuff like that. It was the only thing that made the class tolerable to me.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 12:24:26 AM »

Any confirmations that the gator pledged allegiance to ISIS before killing the child?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 02:31:46 AM »

Because most people don't go into random lagoons that only serve drainage/decorative purposes. Frankly, I think the signs that warn of alligators weren't even necessary to begin with. People down here don't go into them.

I mean, it's a tourist location.  A couple of folks from Nebraska aren't likely to have had much experience with gators.

And the gator itself came onto the beach, so it's not like the child was out wandering into the lagoon.  If a fence isn't sufficient, they can put up something else.

Like a big, beautiful wall.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2016, 03:03:49 AM »

I mean, it's a tourist location.  A couple of folks from Nebraska aren't likely to have had much experience with gators.

And the gator itself came onto the beach, so it's not like the child was out wandering into the lagoon.  If a fence isn't sufficient, they can put up something else.

Like a big, beautiful wall.
It is my understanding that the child was wading in the water when he was attacked.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies