More Republican: investment bankers or police officers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:17:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  More Republican: investment bankers or police officers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which occupation is more Republican?
Investment bankers

Police officers

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: More Republican: investment bankers or police officers?  (Read 3181 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:54:47 PM »

I have no hard data for either, so it's anyone's guess!
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 10:10:30 PM »

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/

This is totally based off of campaign contributions, so who knows if it's an accurate measure, but here "Law enforcement" is just barely Republican (51-49) and "Investment banking" is just barely Republican (53-47).

The investment bankers I imagine give to Democrats so frequently only because they all live in overwhelmingly democratic cities, however, and actually have the views of a "rockefeller republican."  This is how people like Lloyd Blankfein and Jamie Dimon will describe themselves.

Law enforcement is going to be extremely democratic in the cities and is a unionized profession that is going to have left of center economic views.  However, it's extremely male and is probably going to have hawkish views on crime, foreign policy, and conservative views on social issues.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:19:30 PM »

How they actually vote?  Investment bankers, and it's not even close.

Just like in the '60s with Vietnam, Republicans might be screaming in their opinions, but this whole BLM vs. police department "battle" is an intra-party dispute more than it is Republican cops, LOL.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 11:25:21 PM »

Just like in the '60s with Vietnam, Republicans might be screaming in their opinions, but this whole BLM vs. police department "battle" is an intra-party dispute more than it is Republican cops, LOL.

But it may be different in 2016.  Trump has unprecedented support with non-college whites and is definitely slipping with college-whites.  That being said, I agree that this election is probably extraordinary in that regard.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 11:51:41 PM »

http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/

This is totally based off of campaign contributions, so who knows if it's an accurate measure, but here "Law enforcement" is just barely Republican (51-49) and "Investment banking" is just barely Republican (53-47).

The investment bankers I imagine give to Democrats so frequently only because they all live in overwhelmingly democratic cities, however, and actually have the views of a "rockefeller republican."  This is how people like Lloyd Blankfein and Jamie Dimon will describe themselves.

Law enforcement is going to be extremely democratic in the cities and is a unionized profession that is going to have left of center economic views.  However, it's extremely male and is probably going to have hawkish views on crime, foreign policy, and conservative views on social issues.

If you go deeper within the categories on this site, police officers are 51-49 D and investment bankers are 51-49 R.

I imagine that Democrats in general being poorer are much less likely to donate, and that the Democratic lean of the police officers might be understated.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »

But it may be different in 2016.  Trump has unprecedented support with non-college whites and is definitely slipping with college-whites.  That being said, I agree that this election is probably extraordinary in that regard.

This election might change things, but not enough to flip it, IMO.  I'm just going off of anecdotal evidence, but the vast majority of cops I've met have been Union-supporting Democrats who value federal spending very highly.  Many have tough-on-crime stances, but so do many Democrats still.  On the other hand, I've read articles about people on Wall Street saying (on the condition of anonymity) that they sometimes give to both parties - especially if, like in 2008, one party looks sure to win ... wanna be on the winner's good side! - but are pretty partisan Republicans.  Republicans who might be culturally liberal, but Repubs nonetheless.

Also, it's not investment banking but I work in commercial banking, and even in a very liberal area (Iowa City) most people who have uttered anything about politics at work are Republican-leaning.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 05:14:52 PM »

I interned at an investment bank in NY during my MBA. I'd give Republicans the edge, but not by much. I would say cops are roughly even.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »

Pretty hard to guess, but both decently Republican career titles. A very notable difference here is that your average police officer is more likely to be a Donald Trump type of Republican while your average investment banker is more likely to be a Mitt Romney/John Kasich/etc. type of Republican that the professional class is more fond of.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »

My brother is a former cop and he's definitely become more GOP-friendly. He's very tough on crime and takes offense to anyone questioning or criticizing the police.

Having said that, he's very liberal on social issues and a moderate on economics.

I'd say minority cops are strongly Democratic. White cops are very Republican.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57:57 AM »

I'd agree with this in major cities. I think it is different in suburban and rural areas, where law enforcement I would guess is more relatively Republican.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 12:00:15 PM »

I'd agree with this in major cities. I think it is different in suburban and rural areas, where law enforcement I would guess is more relatively Republican.

That's probably fair.  I was mainly thinking of where I've lived (Peoria and Iowa City), and they certainly seem Democratic.  Then again, everyone but affluent transplants, a few surgeons and farmers on the outskirts of town are Democrats in Iowa City, haha.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »

Yeah, police tend to vote the same way their cities/towns do, I think.  The Chicago Police are very Democratic (moreso on the local level than when Obama is on the ticket) despite being conservative.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 01:00:28 PM »

Yeah, police tend to vote the same way their cities/towns do, I think.  The Chicago Police are very Democratic (moreso on the local level than when Obama is on the ticket) despite being conservative.
That just shows how corrupt they are.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 01:19:55 PM »

That just shows how corrupt they are.

How so
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »

Cops comprise a distinct subculture with unique values. Whichever party they may be registered with, they hold a certain, unified worldview.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 12:11:51 AM »

This election might change things, but not enough to flip it, IMO.  I'm just going off of anecdotal evidence, but the vast majority of cops I've met have been Union-supporting Democrats who value federal spending very highly.  Many have tough-on-crime stances, but so do many Democrats still.  On the other hand, I've read articles about people on Wall Street saying (on the condition of anonymity) that they sometimes give to both parties - especially if, like in 2008, one party looks sure to win ... wanna be on the winner's good side! - but are pretty partisan Republicans.  Republicans who might be culturally liberal, but Repubs nonetheless.

Also, it's not investment banking but I work in commercial banking, and even in a very liberal area (Iowa City) most people who have uttered anything about politics at work are Republican-leaning.

The thing is I think that in practice they might support "tough on crime" Giuliani types more often then not. Maybe swing voters who are just likely to go with whichever politician they perceive as being most friendly to them politically.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »

I wouldn't describe them as "conservative." Certainly on some issues, but not overall. City politics are complicated.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »

I wouldn't describe them as "conservative." Certainly on some issues, but not overall. City politics are complicated.

Perfect example of how, outside of political nerd conversation and extreme partisans, cultural conservatism, social conservatism and economic conservatism are by no means inherently related.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 06:56:25 PM »

Perfect example of how, outside of political nerd conversation and extreme partisans, cultural conservatism, social conservatism and economic conservatism are by no means inherently related.

The perception that they are is mainly a result of the nationalization of American politics (or at least, political discourse). And frankly, there is a lot of truth to that perception these days in terms of national politics.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 07:31:59 PM »

The perception that they are is mainly a result of the nationalization of American politics (or at least, political discourse). And frankly, there is a lot of truth to that perception these days in terms of national politics.

Policies, sure, but not really voters.  Some 30% of Republicans are pro-choice, some 25% of Democrats don't support gay marriage, etc.  Most people have one or two main reasons they vote for the party they do, and there are many culturally liberal Republicans and culturally conservative Democrats out there.

The difference is now, as you pointed out, we really don't see the crossovers with our Senators and Representatives now.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 08:59:02 PM »

I would say that before this year it would have been investment bankers. But from now on it would police officers. Investment bankers have too much to lose.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 05:16:29 PM »

I would say that before this year it would have been investment bankers. But from now on it would police officers. Investment bankers have too much to lose.

Did you sleep through the Democratic primaries this year, or do you just want the GOP to be a party comprised solely of poor, uneducated White racists THAT badly?

Even if Trumpism gains some momentum, you are ignoring the fact that the Democrats' base - whom they are ABSOLUTELY beholden to, as well (see Hillary becoming an ardent protectionist or Bernie pandering to BLM - literally HATES investment bankers.  They talk about them like they are literally evil people for doing what they do.  That's not changing anytime soon.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 06:21:17 PM »

Did you sleep through the Democratic primaries this year, or do you just want the GOP to be a party comprised solely of poor, uneducated White racists THAT badly?

Even if Trumpism gains some momentum, you are ignoring the fact that the Democrats' base - whom they are ABSOLUTELY beholden to, as well (see Hillary becoming an ardent protectionist or Bernie pandering to BLM - literally HATES investment bankers.  They talk about them like they are literally evil people for doing what they do.  That's not changing anytime soon.
The base is irrelevant - the Democrats are as guilty of abusing their base as the Republicans are. The Neocons in the GOP never cared that their party had isolationist anti-Semites in it, in fact, they sought their votes. The corporatist establishment in both parties are not so different.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 10:10:33 PM »

Dem base might hate whomever they like (though, it is by no means homogeneous), but the real threat to the US financial industry is Donald Trump. They would not like Bernie Sanders, but nobody is offering them Bernie Sanders. Hillary Clinton is perfectly acceptable to them. And, in any case, even Bernie would have been a lot less dangerous for their interests: at least, he is not openly calling for destruction of US credit.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 03:28:17 AM »

Well the police in London in the 1980's use to vote for the National Front (according to former Mayor Ken Livingstone) To say they had a race problem would well be an understatement.

Interesting to see how they voted after the Police cuts- most public sector jobs in the UK vote Labour by  a massive margin ( Teachers, Nurses, Doctors, Nurses, Teachers, Nurses was how spitting image put Labour's voter outreach approach Tongue)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies