More Republican: investment bankers or police officers? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:28:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  More Republican: investment bankers or police officers? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which occupation is more Republican?
Investment bankers

Police officers

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: More Republican: investment bankers or police officers?  (Read 3225 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: June 15, 2016, 11:19:30 PM »

How they actually vote?  Investment bankers, and it's not even close.

Just like in the '60s with Vietnam, Republicans might be screaming in their opinions, but this whole BLM vs. police department "battle" is an intra-party dispute more than it is Republican cops, LOL.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »

How they actually vote?  Investment bankers, and it's not even close.

Just like in the '60s with Vietnam, Republicans might be screaming in their opinions, but this whole BLM vs. police department "battle" is an intra-party dispute more than it is Republican cops, LOL.

But it may be different in 2016.  Trump has unprecedented support with non-college whites and is definitely slipping with college-whites.  That being said, I agree that this election is probably extraordinary in that regard.

This election might change things, but not enough to flip it, IMO.  I'm just going off of anecdotal evidence, but the vast majority of cops I've met have been Union-supporting Democrats who value federal spending very highly.  Many have tough-on-crime stances, but so do many Democrats still.  On the other hand, I've read articles about people on Wall Street saying (on the condition of anonymity) that they sometimes give to both parties - especially if, like in 2008, one party looks sure to win ... wanna be on the winner's good side! - but are pretty partisan Republicans.  Republicans who might be culturally liberal, but Repubs nonetheless.

Also, it's not investment banking but I work in commercial banking, and even in a very liberal area (Iowa City) most people who have uttered anything about politics at work are Republican-leaning.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 12:00:15 PM »

I'd agree with this in major cities. I think it is different in suburban and rural areas, where law enforcement I would guess is more relatively Republican.

That's probably fair.  I was mainly thinking of where I've lived (Peoria and Iowa City), and they certainly seem Democratic.  Then again, everyone but affluent transplants, a few surgeons and farmers on the outskirts of town are Democrats in Iowa City, haha.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »

Yeah, police tend to vote the same way their cities/towns do, I think.  The Chicago Police are very Democratic (moreso on the local level than when Obama is on the ticket) despite being conservative.

I wouldn't describe them as "conservative." Certainly on some issues, but not overall. City politics are complicated.

Perfect example of how, outside of political nerd conversation and extreme partisans, cultural conservatism, social conservatism and economic conservatism are by no means inherently related.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:31:59 PM »

Yeah, police tend to vote the same way their cities/towns do, I think.  The Chicago Police are very Democratic (moreso on the local level than when Obama is on the ticket) despite being conservative.

I wouldn't describe them as "conservative." Certainly on some issues, but not overall. City politics are complicated.

Perfect example of how, outside of political nerd conversation and extreme partisans, cultural conservatism, social conservatism and economic conservatism are by no means inherently related.

The perception that they are is mainly a result of the nationalization of American politics (or at least, political discourse). And frankly, there is a lot of truth to that perception these days in terms of national politics.

Policies, sure, but not really voters.  Some 30% of Republicans are pro-choice, some 25% of Democrats don't support gay marriage, etc.  Most people have one or two main reasons they vote for the party they do, and there are many culturally liberal Republicans and culturally conservative Democrats out there.

The difference is now, as you pointed out, we really don't see the crossovers with our Senators and Representatives now.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 05:16:29 PM »

I would say that before this year it would have been investment bankers. But from now on it would police officers. Investment bankers have too much to lose.

Did you sleep through the Democratic primaries this year, or do you just want the GOP to be a party comprised solely of poor, uneducated White racists THAT badly?

Even if Trumpism gains some momentum, you are ignoring the fact that the Democrats' base - whom they are ABSOLUTELY beholden to, as well (see Hillary becoming an ardent protectionist or Bernie pandering to BLM - literally HATES investment bankers.  They talk about them like they are literally evil people for doing what they do.  That's not changing anytime soon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies