If Clinton raises a lot more money than Trump, will she send cash downballot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:08:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Clinton raises a lot more money than Trump, will she send cash downballot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If Clinton ends up raising hundreds of millions more than Trump, as some are predicting, will she use a lot of that extra money to support downballot races, so as to form a strong governing coalition?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: If Clinton raises a lot more money than Trump, will she send cash downballot?  (Read 1290 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »

I'm not asking in theory, but rather I am curious if there is maybe a precedent for presidential candidates diverting extra money to other critical races? If she raises hundreds of millions more than Trump, then she won't necessarily have to spend as much on her campaign, right? She could seriously help other races downballot with even a fraction of that extra money.

I'm sure Clinton understands that her ability to advance her agenda relies on having as many Democrats as possible in Congress, so I would think that she would do whatever she can for them. State legislative races could benefit quite a bit from this as well.

Thoughts?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:05:12 PM »

I'd imagine it would depend on the state of the presidential race.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »

I'd imagine it would depend on the state of the presidential race.

I have a hard time seeing Trump taking the lead for any sustained amount of time, so my thoughts come down to a situation where Clinton is leading with a similar RCP average as right now, and over a hundred million dollars that she doesn't even need to spend.

The disaster that is Trump's campaign really does lend credence to the prediction that he will come up massively short in his fundraising, so I have been wondering about what she might do with her extra campaign cash. That kind of money could do wonders in state/House elections.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 08:09:18 PM »

It would be smart, but I think it's more likely that she'll either 1) pile cash on thick in the form of a bombardment of ads, or most likely 2) stash it away until the very end of the campaign in case something catastrophic happens.

If this happens it'll happen in, like, October.  It's pretty much human nature to be illogically risk-averse here.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 08:50:23 PM »

She already did, and then they money laundered it right back to her.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/clinton-fundraising-leaves-little-for-state-parties-222670
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 09:00:32 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 09:01:27 PM »

It's the facts that it was being used to circumvent the $2700 donation limit.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »

I think there is a fair chance she will do it for U.S. Senate and House races.  She will not do it for non-congressional races.  That doesn't directly impact her and no successful politician at that level is that altruistic.
Soonerdem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »

I think it's more likely it would be an Indiana 2008 situation if their up big and start spending money in Missouri, Arizona and Georgia and try to make that electoral vote margin rival her husbands. They probably Will spend some money in markets that have swing districts too if they got some left over.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »

https://youtu.be/BQSsrvsszcs
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 09:25:36 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2016, 09:30:49 PM by Virginia »

ffs jfern just go away. Seriously, I'd rather swim through the East River with a dirty diaper strapped to my head than solicit your opinion on anything related to Clinton.

It would be smart, but I think it's more likely that she'll either 1) pile cash on thick in the form of a bombardment of ads, or most likely 2) stash it away until the very end of the campaign in case something catastrophic happens.

If this happens it'll happen in, like, October.  It's pretty much human nature to be illogically risk-averse here.

October as in, if she spends downballot, it would be in October? If so, that would make sense. If she was up very comfortably at that point, she could spread the wealth around with little worry.

If she does end up with a huge surplus and decides to spend more of it on her campaign, I'd at least hope she tries to expand the map rather than fortify existing targets. It wouldn't be a total left down, as the better she performs, the better downballot candidates will likely fare, albeit probably less so than if she had provided them with cash for their campaigns.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »

Pathetic how no one addresses the actual point, but engages in personal attacks instead. Hillary hacks can't stand to have their sh**tty candidate criticized.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 09:35:24 PM »

Pathetic how no one addresses the actual point, but engages in personal attacks instead. Hillary hacks can't stand to have their sh**tty candidate criticized.
Thats because the point you are trying to make is complete sh**t.  Try using real issues with Hillary, not rightwing talking points.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »

Thats because the point you are trying to make is complete sh**t.  Try using real issues with Hillary, not rightwing talking points.

No, not every criticism of Hillary is a complete sh**t right-wing talking point. This particular issue was a problem that showed up in FEC filings that that led to the Bernie campaign writing a letter of complaint about.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 09:43:08 PM »

ffs jfern just go away. Seriously, I'd rather swim through the East River with a dirty diaper strapped to my head than solicit your opinion on anything related to Clinton.

You're in luck, because that's actually the third event in Fear Factor: Atlas Edition. 

The other two events are taking a bath with Lavenous Marco and some other Florida politicians, and something that I won't say, because I don't want to gross you out/spoil the surprise.  I will say that it involves Ted Cruz.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 09:44:40 PM »

No, not every criticism of Hillary is a complete sh**t right-wing talking point. This particular issue was a problem that showed up in FEC filings that that led to the Bernie campaign writing a letter of complaint about.
Of course not, which is why I said you need too use real issues, not the bile that you throw all over every thread that you step foot in.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 09:47:30 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2016, 09:49:03 PM by Virginia »

First off, for future reference, I don't want your opinion on anything Clinton-related. We all know where you stand in regards to Hillary.

Second, I know full well about the Victory Fund issues. Of course she is using it to collect more money. But the thing is, do you expect money going to say, the victory fund via Montana's Democratic party, to actually stay and be used in Montana? Why? What strategic use is Montana on a national scale? The DNC wants to strategically distribute money to state parties where it will actually make a difference in national / Congressional elections. That means places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and so on, where state parties need to control the legislature for redistricting. The DNC can decide when and where to appropriate it. If I were them, I would do that too.

Finally, the reason I don't care about your link is because my question was specifically about what she would do with extra money that she has no use for - That makes whatever is going on with the victory fund pointless to this discussion. As stated before, just because money sent to state parties for the victory fund doesn't stay in the states, does not mean it won't eventually be used in other, more critical states.

Now, please. Just stop.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »

You're in luck, because that's actually the third event in Fear Factor: Atlas Edition. 

The other two events are taking a bath with Lavenous Marco and some other Florida politicians, and something that I won't say, because I don't want to gross you out/spoil the surprise.  I will say that it involves Ted Cruz.

Netflix maybe?

GOD NO.  I mean, even NBC has some standards.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 09:58:09 PM »

First off, for future reference, I don't want your opinion on anything Clinton-related. We all know where you stand in regards to Hillary.

Second, I know full well about the Victory Fund issues. Of course she is using it to collect more money. But the thing is, do you expect money going to say, the victory fund via Montana's Democratic party, to actually stay and be used in Montana? Why? What strategic use is Montana on a national scale? The DNC wants to strategically distribute money to state parties where it will actually make a difference in national / Congressional elections. That means places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and so on, where state parties need to control the legislature for redistricting. The DNC can decide when and where to appropriate it. If I were them, I would do that too.

Finally, the reason I don't care about your link is because my question was specifically about what she would do with extra money that she has no use for - That makes whatever is going on with the victory fund pointless to this discussion. As stated before, just because money sent to state parties for the victory fund doesn't stay in the states, does not mean it won't eventually be used in other, more critical states.

Now, please. Just stop.

The DNC spent it on her campaign in a contested primary. It was an outrageous circumventing of campaign finance laws. Hillary hacks might not care, but sh**t like this makes many Bernie people be never Hillary. We are done with the corruption.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 10:02:25 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2016, 10:05:07 PM by Virginia »

The DNC spent it on her campaign in a contested primary. It was an outrageous circumventing of campaign finance laws. Hillary hacks might not care, but sh**t like this makes many Bernie people be never Hillary. We are done with the corruption.

Yeah, that does suck.

On another note - You've managed to turn yet another thread into a Clinton bashing trash pit. Thanks. Go away please.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »

If I started a petition to ban Jfern, would anyone else sign it? It's not like he actually contributes anything.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 10:14:46 PM »

Just put jfern on ignore if he annoys you.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 10:15:44 PM »

Just put jfern on ignore if he annoys you.

If?
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 10:16:47 PM »

If Hillary really wanted to help down ballot candidates, wouldn't she be better off just trying to increase her own margins in more states?  Like say... Arizona.  Hillary probably isn't going to win there, but if she increases her turnout and makes it competitive, that would probably help people like Ann Kirkpatrick and Kyrsten Sinema.

Yeah, GOTV in states with any major competitive races, even if they're not needed to be elected president, would be a good use of funds.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies