Which of these main languages would you like to learn most?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:32:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which of these main languages would you like to learn most?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
Chinese (either Mandarin or Cantonese)

Japanese

Arabic

Spanish

French

Italian

German

Portuguese

Russian

Hindi/Urdu

Bangla

Other/NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Which of these main languages would you like to learn most?  (Read 2099 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 10:58:12 AM »

Spanish, so I could spend more time in South America. 
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 11:00:13 AM »

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »

I am fairly comfortable with German, although when I was in Germany it was absolute rubbish. But before I get any better at German, I have to get better at Italian. I am dreadful after a year of learning Italian.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »

I've bee trying to learn French since Senior Kindergarten.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2016, 05:07:57 PM »

I am currently learning Russian so I would go for Latin or Classical Greek as this is pretty natural direction for Poles. German is throat disease, French sounds good but studying it is pain in the ass, for Japanese/Korean/Mandarin I have no time for learning moonrunes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2016, 05:11:32 PM »

I am currently learning Russian so I would go for Latin or Classical Greek as this is pretty natural direction for Poles.

I'd say it used to be (Classical Greek and Latin). There's no wider interest now. Which I find sad, because my great-grandfather was a classical scholar.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I had German for three years in school. I don't remember anything beside "guten tag", "ich heisse" and, like every Pole, "hande hoch!"
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2016, 08:00:17 PM by Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan »

I'd say it used to be (Classical Greek and Latin). There's no wider interest now. Which I find sad, because my great-grandfather was a classical scholar.

Shhh. Don't say such things. Latin is still widely used, I want to believe. I had no Latin in high school as my class had German and Philosophy (second "humanistic'' class had French and Latin unfortunately). On studies I had only translations of two texts from Latin to Polish because I had it only for half of the year and lecturer was pretty bad (I dropped my second course as I wasn't able to cope with two examination sessions) and after that I really wanted to study Latin by myself but never had enough time or determination or had other interests etc. etc. etc.

One of my distant cousin graduated with other few people classical philology (at the beginning of the course there were like 50 students, in the end less than 6) so I guess there is interest, people are just to lazy to study (like me) or are demotivated by people who says "durr for what you need that dead language". But talking seriously you are right that comparing to the past now interest in classical languages is very low and probably soon it will fade into the total niche.

I had German for three years in school. I don't remember anything beside "guten tag", "ich heisse" and, like every Pole, "hande hoch!"

And like every Pole you don't remember anything, I had German for like 4 or 5 years and don't remember much more than you. I think this is racial trait, like in RPG.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2016, 11:44:58 PM »

1. German
2. French
3. Spanish

Spanish is mostly for practical purposes. Otherwise I'd like to learn Greek and MAYBE Hindu/Urdu.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2016, 03:00:04 AM »

Italienisch ist meine Antwort.

Islaendisch ist nicht hier, und ich weiss einigekann ein bisschen Deustch.

Sorry for coming off as the ultimate asshole, but you need to use "können" instead of "wissen" with languages, and you can use "einige" only with countable nouns. An uncountable adjective like "deutsch" needs something like "ein bisschen" or "ein wenig".

As for me, I'm pretty torn between French and Mandarin, as for "major languages". My ultimate dream language however is, just as for the poster I quoted, Icelandic. I'll be going there in summer, so maybe I can pile myself up with some resources and hear some of the flow of it. I sadly know no more than "góðan daginn" (good day) or "talar þú ensku?" (do you speak English), which hopefully should be enough to get me around Tongue
dax00

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2016, 03:07:10 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2016, 04:10:45 AM by Foul, and a miss - Ali Carter 4 »

I am currently learning Russian so I would go for Latin or Classical Greek as this is pretty natural direction for Poles.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I took 4 years of Latin, 2 years of ancient Greek, and 4 years of German in high school. My Latin has deteriorated to about 2nd-year level, the Greek to about 1st-year level, but my German is still pretty damn good since I've kept up with it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2016, 04:36:13 AM »

Other, since Germany is my native language and English second language. I'd like to speak Greek (were my father is from, but he did not teach me) and Macedonian. My father is from the Greek part of Macedonia and lots of people still speak Macedonian.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »

Shhh. Don't say such things. Latin is still widely used, I want to believe. I had no Latin in high school as my class had German and Philosophy (second "humanistic'' class had French and Latin unfortunately). On studies I had only translations of two texts from Latin to Polish because I had it only for half of the year and lecturer was pretty bad (I dropped my second course as I wasn't able to cope with two examination sessions) and after that I really wanted to study Latin by myself but never had enough time or determination or had other interests etc. etc. etc.

One of my distant cousin graduated with other few people classical philology (at the beginning of the course there were like 50 students, in the end less than 6) so I guess there is interest, people are just to lazy to study (like me) or are demotivated by people who says "durr for what you need that dead language". But talking seriously you are right that comparing to the past now interest in classical languages is very low and probably soon it will fade into the total niche.

I guess the main problem is that schools simply abandoned Latin as a subject. We never had Latin, while rhe nearest HS had one. Which is a shame.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »

Mandarin
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2016, 06:35:39 PM »

1. Greek
2. German
3. Sanskrit
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »

Sorry for coming off as the ultimate asshole, but you need to use "können" instead of "wissen" with languages, and you can use "einige" only with countable nouns. An uncountable adjective like "deutsch" needs something like "ein bisschen" or "ein wenig".

As for me, I'm pretty torn between French and Mandarin, as for "major languages". My ultimate dream language however is, just as for the poster I quoted, Icelandic. I'll be going there in summer, so maybe I can pile myself up with some resources and hear some of the flow of it. I sadly know no more than "góðan daginn" (good day) or "talar þú ensku?" (do you speak English), which hopefully should be enough to get me around Tongue

You proved my point precisely.

Also, since you helped me: "talar þú þysku?" (or saensku, dansku) might be useful in case English doesn't work, "ég tala" just to clarify what you can speak, "takk" as a shorthand for thanks, and "sjáumst" seems to be the bis bald.

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »

You proved my point precisely.

Also, since you helped me: "talar þú þysku?" (or saensku, dansku) might be useful in case English doesn't work, "ég tala" just to clarify what you can speak, "takk" as a shorthand for thanks, and "sjáumst" seems to be the bis bald.

Takk fyrir! From what I gathered, "bless bless" seems to work as "bye" as well, but my usage of my three Icelandic phrases will be limited anyways - I've just now (after eight years of studying) toned down my anxiety when speaking English to English speakers (I've never had a problem speaking English with other Austrians / German-speakers, but I did have one with English-speakers - I suddenly got a weird accent, I made dumb mistakes, I forgot basic vocabulary), so I don't really want to imagine how high up that anxiety will be with a language I know basically nothing of Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies