Which of these main languages would you like to learn most? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:57:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which of these main languages would you like to learn most? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
Chinese (either Mandarin or Cantonese)

Japanese

Arabic

Spanish

French

Italian

German

Portuguese

Russian

Hindi/Urdu

Bangla

Other/NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Which of these main languages would you like to learn most?  (Read 2119 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 16, 2016, 06:34:48 PM »
« edited: June 16, 2016, 06:53:48 PM by L.D. Smith »

Italienisch ist meine Antwort.

Islaendisch ist nicht hier, und ich weiss einige Deustch.

Self-demonstrating for a point that I probably have to brush up like heck on German before tackling anything else. That said, Italian would be where I want to start due to preference for their shows compared to most British or American programming, some ancestral roots, and it would've been nice to be able to communicate with others myself when I was visiting Italy.

Icelandic is also on my wish-list, but I know that that one is practically out of sight short of being airlifted and dropped into the most remote area of Iceland.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »

Italienisch ist meine Antwort.

Islaendisch ist nicht hier, und ich weiss einigekann ein bisschen Deustch.

Sorry for coming off as the ultimate asshole, but you need to use "können" instead of "wissen" with languages, and you can use "einige" only with countable nouns. An uncountable adjective like "deutsch" needs something like "ein bisschen" or "ein wenig".

As for me, I'm pretty torn between French and Mandarin, as for "major languages". My ultimate dream language however is, just as for the poster I quoted, Icelandic. I'll be going there in summer, so maybe I can pile myself up with some resources and hear some of the flow of it. I sadly know no more than "góðan daginn" (good day) or "talar þú ensku?" (do you speak English), which hopefully should be enough to get me around Tongue

You proved my point precisely.

Also, since you helped me: "talar þú þysku?" (or saensku, dansku) might be useful in case English doesn't work, "ég tala" just to clarify what you can speak, "takk" as a shorthand for thanks, and "sjáumst" seems to be the bis bald.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies