English
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:31:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  English
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: On average, whose English best articulates?
Canadians'

Britons'

Americans'

Australians'

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: English  (Read 612 times)
dax00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2016, 08:49:09 PM »
« edited: June 16, 2016, 09:02:58 PM by Foul, and a miss - Ali Carter 4 »

Smiley I think last place is obvious.

NB: Yes, I intentionally worded the question like that for laughs and giggles.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »

Wouldn't be the one without all of the non-rhotic Rs?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »

I voted Americans, but it highly depends on region.  Obviously I'm biased, but lower Midwest Americans (above places like Southern Illinois that start to become culturally Southern) pronounce the English language in the most phonetic way.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 01:38:46 PM »

NB: Yes, I intentionally worded the question like that for laughs and giggles.

You mean in a confusing manner that reads as borderline illiterate?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:46:13 PM »

Not my English.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »

write-in: ghanaians', nigerians', etc
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »

Are their accents (in English) similar to people from Sudan?  A ridiculously high percentage of Uber drivers here are from Sudan (many going to school), and I do actually find them surprisingly easy to understand.
dax00

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 06:31:09 PM »

To clarify, I did mean 'articulate' and not 'enunciate'. Voted Brits.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 07:44:42 PM »

Are their accents (in English) similar to people from Sudan?  A ridiculously high percentage of Uber drivers here are from Sudan (many going to school), and I do actually find them surprisingly easy to understand.
i wouldn't think so – the indigenous languages come from entirely different families

but you be the judge
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2016, 10:17:05 AM by angus »

From what foreigners have told me, United States people are the easiest to understand.  I've heard that consistently from Chinese, Japanese, Italians, and Spanish-speaking people.  I think they'd say that they understand Canadians as well, and I think you should probably group them together as US/Canada, because although we can tell each other apart, I suspect that most non-anglophone foreigners cannot.  They always say they can understand yankee easier than brit or australian or caribbean islanders, but when I've pressed them to identify which is canadian and which is US, they generally cannot do so.

There are some exceptions.  When we first moved to Mississippi my wife had a great deal of trouble understanding the locals, especially black people (which were the majority of the workers in places like fast food and cheap retail stores.)  I never had any trouble understanding them.  One time we were at the cash register and the worker said something like "dad'be fo fitty fo" and my wife said, "I beg your pardon" and she said, "I saaaid dat itta be fo fitty fo."  They both looked confused and frustrated.  At some point I said, "Just give her a five and she'll give you change."

I can understand them all, even Belizeans and New Zealanders, but to my surprise I learned that not every one can.  Once, when I was hiking in Peru with a mixed group that included gringos, brits, french, and danes, I was having a snack and sitting next to a California couple who were talking with two girls from England and the California people were having trouble understanding the two English hikers.  It was amusing, but also painful.  I wanted to translate for them but I thought it rude to butt in so I just kept my mouth shut.  I'm not sure which English accent they had, but it wasn't the standard one that you hear on English movies.  They did speak in a strange way, and in particular didn't pronounce the letter T, like "letter" was rendered sort of "Leh uh" or something like that.  Still, I had no trouble understanding them.  

Now, jamaicans can be harder to understand.  They seem to be able to switch from English--their version of which is hard for some to understand--to Patois very easily.  Workers at resorts will switch rapidly to say something to each other and then back to English.  I like trying to understand the Patois but it can be difficult, and it is not made any easier in the fog of the readily available and highly potent ganga that is ubiquitous on that island.

Actually, the best single articulator (enunciator) of the English language that I've ever heard is Lieutenant Commander Spock of the USS Enterprise.  No one articulates like Spock, at least no one I've ever heard.  Spock is from Vulcan so maybe Vulcan should be an option.  On the other hand, the actor who played Spock is originally from Boston so there's an argument for Boston.  Then again, I lived in Boston for five years with two roommates of Irish descent, both originally from Boston, who definitely did not talk like Spock.  They articulated rather unusually, pronouncing the vowel sound in Paul the way Brooklyn people pronounce the vowel sound in God, and pronouncing the vowel sound in God the way Brooklyn people pronounce the vowel sound in Paul.  Bostonians also save up all their "r" sounds that normally come at the end of certain words and put them in weird places.  Sister becomes Sista, while Donna becomes Donner.  So Spock may not be a textbook example of the median Boston articulata.  

In the absence of the option "US/Canada/Vulcan with the exception of black people from Columbus and Irish people from Boston" I'll go with "American."

Edit:  I think that languages technically don't articulate; people articulate.  Perhaps the question should be better phrased as "From which of the following regions do the native populations articulate the English language most clearly?"
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 12:00:53 PM »

I love American English. But don't like British English.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »

Your average Northeastern US English dialect is easiest.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 06:22:17 PM »

Your average Northeastern US English dialect is easiest.

HA!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 07:35:58 PM »

For me, based on standard dialect/accent:

1. Ulster English
2. (Lowlands) Scottish English
3. American English (includes Western Canada)
4. Hiberno-English
5. Received Pronunciation
6. Canadian English
99. Jamaican Patois
100. Australian English
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 10:19:30 PM »

The worst is by far the Scots without question - I usually require an interpreter for those interactions - so as beautiful as much of England is, the entire region must be eliminated first.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »

I love American English. But don't like British English.

We associate English with credibility.  I'm not sure why that is but a few psychology surveys have been published that supports this idea and marketers exploit it frequently.  Television commercials, for example, often feature Englishmen hawking the wares, which presumably makes us buy things.

Similarly, we associate American with fashionably attractive ("cool" in American English).  In the UK, the managers of musicians say, "Can we have a bit more of an American accent?" when the british rock bands rehearse.  If you listen to The Rolling Stones, you wouldn't even know Mick Jagger is English when you hear him belting out "I'm not waitin' on a lady; I'm just waitin' on a friend" in a decidedly US accent.  Default singing training in New Zealand now features standard US English vowel sounds as well.  

I don't know why it is, but I think there's some deep psychology (or sociology, or both) going on here.  There are some scholarly articles written on the subject, but whatever the reason, we like US accents for some applications and UK accent for other applications.  UK accent is for selling products on the television.  US accent is for rock bands.  I haven't figured out yet what Australian, New Zealand, Canadian, and Caribbean Island accents are good for, but they're good for certain applications as well.  Hunky Australian men (and voluptuous Australian women) are often featured as leading characters on popular movies, sports announcements, and certain types of advertisements.

I think all that has less to do with any discussion of articulation, and more to do with psychology, so it's probably a bit off topic.  Your post just reminded of all that.  

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 10:40:08 AM »

I've never had trouble understanding the speech of an Anglophone Canadian so far as I can recall, like I have with the other options.  But I'm not sure what the question is asking.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »

Irish (Cork) English is my favorite, like.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »

Midwestern/Plains American English seems "standard" to me; my own English used to be very NYC (to the point that I was frequently asked if I was from the city), but that seems to have leveled off over the past 5 years. I've been living in the Cleveland area, but I'm not quite sure if I have a Great Lakes accent or not -- most likely I do and just fail to notice.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 01:17:25 PM »

Obviously Appalachian English spoken by people in extremely isolated communities.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies