Massive FF cashier in Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:42:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Massive FF cashier in Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Massive FF cashier in Virginia  (Read 2752 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »

Listen, I hate Trump as much as anyone, but this ain't cool. Patrons should be served, black, white, gay, straight, Trump Supporter, or Hillary. This is unfair treatment and these people should be served.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »

Listen, I hate Trump as much as anyone, but this ain't cool. Patrons should be served, black, white, gay, straight, Trump Supporter, or Hillary. This is unfair treatment and these people should be served.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2016, 04:40:33 PM »

Things they so willingly overlooked or even downright supported when it came from Trump.

I can't believe you are taking yourself seriously.  Trump is a wild card and is ignorant of the way government works, but I have no knowledge of him ever asking anyone not to serve anyone fast food based on their political ideologies or anything else.  Moreover, there is no evidence that either of these two women ever supported such a policy either.  Are you clairvoyant or merely exceedingly presumptuous?  In any case, attacking them here on this forum does not make them guilty of any wrongdoing.  So they want to vote for a different person than you're planning on voting for.  If I only worked with those who are voting for the same candidate that I'm voting for, then I'd only be able to serve about 1% of the population, because that's probably how many will vote for the candidate that I'll support in November.  There's no logical defense of the server's attitude and there's no logical reason to attack these innocent customers.  The server not only was being hateful and bigoted, but created martyrs for a madman's campaign to control the national economy.  At best she only made herself look like an asshole; at worst she created sympathy for Trump supporters, thus her actions were not only rude, but also short-sighted and illogical.  

Freedom of speech and freedom to associate is fine as long as it is speech you agree with and associations you would form yourself.  The real challenge is to protect those with whom you disagree.  They, too, have every right to be free from harassment when attempting to purchase food from a restaurant.  These customers did nothing wrong, but were met with unabashed belligerence from a narrow-minded bigot.  From what I can tell the management dealt with the employee decisively and fairly.  I would not want such unreliable, inflammatory, and hateful person in my employ, regardless of whether I agreed with that person's political philosophy.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2016, 04:45:47 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2016, 05:00:54 PM by eeveergreen »

Things they so willingly overlooked or even downright supported when it came from Trump.

I can't believe you are taking yourself seriously.  T***p is a wild card and is ignorant of the way government works, but I have no knowledge of him ever asking anyone not to serve anyone fast food based on their political ideologies or anything else.  Moreover, there is no evidence that either of these two women ever supported such a policy either.  Are you clairvoyant or merely exceedingly presumptuous?  In any case, attacking them here on this forum does not make them guilty of any wrongdoing.  So they want to vote for a different person than you're planning on voting for.  If I only worked with those who are voting for the same candidate that I'm voting for, then I'd only be able to serve about 1% of the population, because that's probably how many will vote for the candidate that I'll support in November.  There's no logical defense of the server's attitude and there's no logical reason to attack these innocent customers.  The server not only was being hateful and bigoted, but created martyrs for a madman's campaign to control the national economy.  At best she only made herself look like an asshole; at worst she created sympathy for T***p supporters, thus her actions were not only rude, but also short-sighted and illogical. 

Freedom of speech and freedom to associate is fine as long as it is speech you agree with and associations you would form yourself.  The real challenge is to protect those with whom you disagree.  They, too, have every right to be free from harassment when attempting to purchase food from a restaurant.  These customers did nothing wrong, but were met with unabashed belligerence from a narrow-minded bigot.  From what I can tell the management dealt with the employee decisively and fairly.  I would not want such unreliable, inflammatory, and hateful person in my employ, regardless of whether I agreed with that person's political philosophy.

i can't believe this has to be explained so often – the stubby-fingered rapist's campaign has gone far beyond representing a ~political ideology with which you disagree~, it's outside the democratic political spectrum and antithetical to civilisation as a whole. nobody would be making this kind of argument about rubio or even cruz.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »

They should have been served, of course - that is the law. But the employee in question has every sympathy from me for saying what she thinks - at the cost of her employment. Since this is the large company, obviously, being rude was out of line. Had it been a small private business, the owner would still have had to serve them, but would have had every right to be rude verbally.

Now, imagine what is going to be happening in downtown Cleveland during the RNC. I mean, finding an uncontroversial lunch may become a problem for the delegates.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 04:58:19 PM »

This BS just feeds Trump supporters' sense of martyrdom and results in one more unemployed idiot on the dole. How many times does this need to happen? Remember the Chipotle employees who refused to serve cops?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 05:04:23 PM »

This BS just feeds Trump supporters' sense of martyrdom and results in one more unemployed idiot on the dole. How many times does this need to happen? Remember the Chipotle employees who refused to serve cops?

Well, Trump campaign is all about abolishing civility in political discourse. So, I would say, 300,000,000 times may be about the right number of times for this to happen between now and November.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 05:04:35 PM »

Is this anything but
1) extremely hypocritical, unempathetic, and "intolerant" and
2) not at all productive for building bridges to create a more thoughtful, brotherly, understanding world where people have respect and tolerance for those with differences of opinion (i.e., a world where Trump-like rhetoric holds no sway)?

Are the people who seriously think that this is okay also okay with the tow truck driver who left a disabled Bernie Sanders supporter on the side of the road after she called him because of his "staunch conservative Christian beliefs?"
http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/31888456/tow-truck-owner-bernie-sanders

Under the same logic, shouldn't this guy leave the abortion/gay marriage supporting girl on the side of the road to wait for another tow truck driver (ignore the fact that Jesus preached the exact opposite).

Do we want the world to just devolve into us-vs-them conflict where no one has any empathy to understand where other people are coming from (different than agreeing with them)?  I seem to remember a time period like that in Western history, and it mostly involved constant war and people getting burned at the stake for the sake of their souls.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 05:13:51 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 05:16:26 PM by Virginia »

I can't believe you are taking yourself seriously.  Trump is a wild card and is ignorant of the way government works, but I have no knowledge of him ever asking anyone not to serve anyone fast food based on their political ideologies or anything else

Angus, slow down there. I never said Trump supported denying people fast food, or whatever you're saying? My point was that Trump has been acting like a bigot and saying racist things for a long time now, which have gotten a lot of attention, and yet so many of his supporters are willing to overlook it or even support it in some cases. I never said that the women in question here support it, but if they don't, then they are certainly giving him a free pass on the racist bs he has said/done. I don't care what Trump's platform is or what he offers these people, he either is a racist or he just acts like one when he finds it useful, both of which are bad.

I wouldn't be voting for Clinton if she acted/said the things Trump has, and so I don't look kindly on people who give him a pass on this, then complain when those people find themselves being singled out. They didn't care when Trump did it, but now they care when it involves them? That's hypocritical as hell.

Look, angus, you put a lot of words in my mouth there. The least you could have done before going on that spiel is ask me to clarify. And I didn't say I supported this act of discrimination. I don't, and I made that clear in my first post.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 05:15:05 PM »

I wouldn't call this person an HP but they ain't no FF either.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 05:19:12 PM »

Is this anything but
1) extremely hypocritical, unempathetic, and "intolerant" and
2) not at all productive for building bridges to create a more thoughtful, brotherly, understanding world where people have respect and tolerance for those with differences of opinion (i.e., a world where Trump-like rhetoric holds no sway)?

It is most definitely intolerant and unempathetic. Considering that Trump's entire campaign has been about blowing up bridges and treating people with disrespect and intolerance, there is no reason to expect that the opposing side would not be joining the game.

Of course, your entire comment is going to be filed under the rubric of "extremely hypocritical" Smiley
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »

If cashiers can't turn people away for their sexuality, they shouldn't be able to turn people away for their political views. I hate Trump as much as every sane person, but this is just morally wrong.

So you think after Kristallnacht a Jew would have been out of line for refusing to serve Hitler?  You would honestly put that in the same ballpark as a cashier at a diner refusing to serve a gay man?

Lmao, just a few weeks ago you were whining about "false equivilancies" with regards to Charlie Hebdo and Trump supporters being victims of violence, and now you compare this cashier to a Jew in the holocaust!  Please stop trolling.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »

Do we want the world to just devolve into us-vs-them conflict where no one has any empathy to understand where other people are coming from

It has devolved into precisely that - as a direct consequence of Trump campaign. In Russia they have a saying that, roughly, translates as "you should not cry about your haircut after a beheading". You are too late to be crying about civility in discourse. It will take decades to reestablish now.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »

I can't believe you are taking yourself seriously.  Trump is a wild card and is ignorant of the way government works, but I have no knowledge of him ever asking anyone not to serve anyone fast food based on their political ideologies or anything else

Angus, slow down there. I never said Trump supported denying people fast food, or whatever you're saying? My point was that Trump has been acting like a bigot and saying racist things for a long time now, which have gotten a lot of attention, and yet so many of his supporters are willing to overlook it or even support it in some cases. I never said that the women in question here support it, but if they don't, then they are certainly giving him a free pass on the racist bs he has said/done. I don't care what Trump's platform is or what he offers these people, he either is a racist or he just acts like one when he finds it useful, both of which are bad.

I wouldn't be voting for Clinton if she acted/said the things Trump has, and so I don't look kindly on people who give him a pass on this, then complain when those people find themselves being singled out. They didn't care when Trump did it, but now they care when it involves them? That's hypocritical as hell.

Look, angus, you put a lot of words in my mouth there. The least you could have done before going on that spiel is ask me to clarify. And I didn't say I supported this act of discrimination. I don't, and I made that clear in my first post.

It may be hard for you to believe, but there was a time when people who supported different candidates, and indeed different political ideologies, to get along with one another.  I can remember being a junior in college and my best friend at the time, Wolfgang, was a big Bush supporter and I supported Dukakis.  We weren't casual supporters either.  He had a Bush sign in his apartment window and I went out of my way to meet with VP candidate Lloyd Bentsen and Rob Lowe, an actor touring with Lloyd Bentsen.  I actually introduced them to a rally of about 500 students.  Did I think Wolfgang was a little weird and misguided?  Of course.  Did he think the same of me?  Of course.  Did we call each other names and scream at each other and think, "oh, if only you were smart you'd agree with me."  We did not.  

Even now, the one of my colleagues with whom I am closest personally is a supporter of Hillary Clinton.  I think she has a criminal psychology and she creeps me out.  She will probably start World War III.  I can't imagine voting for her for any office.  Ever.  Does that make me think my colleague is somehow an evil creep?  No.  We agree on many things, and often have discussions.  We even discuss politics, and we do so civilly.  Of course we both think Trump is also creepy so I suppose that helps, but we can discuss Clinton and her many flaws civilly as well.  

It is not defensible, and it is not normal, and it is not healthy to see these two women as anything other than victims of harassment.  They are not hypocrits, at least not based on the fact that they happen to support a candidate that you cannot stand.  They were discriminated against unfairly.  Whether or not the employee should have been fired is another issue, maybe worthy of debate, but I totally support the manager's decision and I'm fairly confident that I would have made the same decision.  

I know you're young, and your ideology is still developing and will for years to come, but based on your many prescient posts I'd have thought you were smarter than to try to spin this as anything other than what it is:  customers treated rudely by an unruly employee with a holier-than-thou attitude.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2016, 05:36:15 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 05:41:56 PM by RaphaelDLG »

Do we want the world to just devolve into us-vs-them conflict where no one has any empathy to understand where other people are coming from

It has devolved into precisely that - as a direct consequence of Trump campaign. In Russia they have a saying that, roughly, translates as "you should not cry about your haircut after a beheading". You are too late to be crying about civility in discourse. It will take decades to reestablish now.

I'm not sure if I'm necessarily crying about civility in discourse.  I want discourse that is productive and brotherly, if sometimes heated. 

The bottom line is, I see nothing about this incident that will help change these two young girls' minds - only something pettily combative and traumatizing that will calcify their misguided opinions, possibly for the rest of their lives.

As someone who has had horrible positions on a number of issues in the past, I think you lack empathy and perspective, and most importantly, I think that your approach and language will fail to secure a long-term victory for our side.

ETA:  Spelling
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2016, 05:38:25 PM »

This is so stupid.

Ironically I saw a tourist in a MAGA shirt in the middle of a crowded 90% black McDonald's in downtown DC last weekend. Nobody bothered him.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »

I know you're young, and your ideology is still developing and will for years to come, but based on your many prescient posts I'd have thought you were smarter than to try to spin this as anything other than what it is:  customers treated rudely by an unruly employee with a holier-than-thou attitude.

I don't tend to have this opinion of people who support candidates I don't like, that was true of Romney, for instance. But to me, Trump is a whole different game. He's a bigot, immensely unqualified and treats people like dirt. His entire campaign is built around scapegoating ethnic groups or other groups of people. This is how I interpret his campaign.

That being said, when Trump supporters willingly give him a pass on all the bigoted, hateful and downright offensive things he has said and done, I have little sympathy for them when they themselves complain of being singled out. They are fine with Trump doing it, but when it comes down to them, it's bad? I just have zero sympathy for that. I'm sorry.

I don't think they should have been insulted and discriminated against, though. But I do not feel for those two people in this situation. If they don't like discrimination, then why are they supporting Trump?

This is all I have to say about this. I know I should probably feel for them, but I don't. Take that as you will, but I will say that I don't think my opinion on this is unique or even unreasonable.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2016, 05:50:27 PM »

I don't tend to have this opinion of people who support candidates I don't like, that was true of Romney, for instance. But to me, Trump is a whole different game. He's a bigot, immensely unqualified and treats people like dirt. His entire campaign is built around scapegoating ethnic groups or other groups of people. This is how I interpret his campaign.

That being said, when Trump supporters willingly give him a pass on all the bigoted, hateful and downright offensive things he has said and done, I have little sympathy for them when they themselves complain of being singled out. They are fine with Trump doing it, but when it comes down to them, it's bad? I just have zero sympathy for that. I'm sorry.

I don't think they should have been insulted and discriminated against, though. But I do not feel for those two people in this situation. If they don't like discrimination, then why are they supporting Trump?

This is all I have to say about this. I know I should probably feel for them, but I don't. Take that as you will, but I will say that I don't think my opinion on this is unique or even unreasonable.

I seriously doubt a majority of Trump supporters are as informed about all of the things that he has said as you are.  That doesn't mean they don't deserve some culpability for their own ignorance and superficiality, but you should expect that voters in general are pretty ignorant and uninformed. 

It is our challenge to elevate their level of consciousness.  I think that, whether we like it our not, our discourse must proceed in a way that is simultaneously tough and unyielding but also loving and accepting, if it is to succeed.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2016, 05:51:27 PM »

Well, Trump campaign is all about abolishing civility in political discourse. So, I would say, 300,000,000 times may be about the right number of times for this to happen between now and November.

That's going to be a whole lot of unemployed dumbasses.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »

I can't believe you are taking yourself seriously.  Trump is a wild card and is ignorant of the way government works, but I have no knowledge of him ever asking anyone not to serve anyone fast food based on their political ideologies or anything else

It may be hard for you to believe, but there was a time when people who supported different candidates, and indeed different political ideologies, to get along with one another.  I can remember being a junior in college and my best friend at the time, Wolfgang, was a big Bush supporter and I supported Dukakis.  We weren't casual supporters either.  He had a Bush sign in his apartment window and I went out of my way to meet with VP candidate Lloyd Bentsen and Rob Lowe, an actor touring with Lloyd Bentsen.  I actually introduced them to a rally of about 500 students.  Did I think Wolfgang was a little weird and misguided?  Of course.  Did he think the same of me?  Of course.  Did we call each other names and scream at each other and think, "oh, if only you were smart you'd agree with me."  We did not. 

Even now, the one of my colleagues with whom I am closest personally is a supporter of Hillary Clinton.  I think she has a criminal psychology and she creeps me out.  She will probably start World War III.  I can't imagine voting for her for any office.  Ever.  Does that make me think my colleague is somehow an evil creep?  No.  We agree on many things, and often have discussions.  We even discuss politics, and we do so civilly.  Of course we both think Trump is also creepy so I suppose that helps, but we can discuss Clinton and her many flaws civilly as well. 

It is not defensible, and it is not normal, and it is not healthy to see these two women as anything other than victims of harassment.  They are not hypocrits, at least not based on the fact that they happen to support a candidate that you cannot stand.  They were discriminated against unfairly.  Whether or not the employee should have been fired is another issue, maybe worthy of debate, but I totally support the manager's decision and I'm fairly confident that I would have made the same decision. 

I know you're young, and your ideology is still developing and will for years to come, but based on your many prescient posts I'd have thought you were smarter than to try to spin this as anything other than what it is:  customers treated rudely by an unruly employee with a holier-than-thou attitude.

Angus, Trump is a racist and a bigot. He is running a bigoted campaign. Since George Wallace, no one has run such a campaign. It is not fair to compare him to Bush or Dukakis or Romney. He is a whole different beast. Campaigns like his should not be accepted by the rest of us.
Panda Express

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »

What you do in these situations is spit in their food without them knowing. That would have been the appropriate response.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2016, 06:24:44 PM »

I can't believe you are taking yourself seriously.  Trump is a wild card and is ignorant of the way government works, but I have no knowledge of him ever asking anyone not to serve anyone fast food based on their political ideologies or anything else

It may be hard for you to believe, but there was a time when people who supported different candidates, and indeed different political ideologies, to get along with one another.  I can remember being a junior in college and my best friend at the time, Wolfgang, was a big Bush supporter and I supported Dukakis.  We weren't casual supporters either.  He had a Bush sign in his apartment window and I went out of my way to meet with VP candidate Lloyd Bentsen and Rob Lowe, an actor touring with Lloyd Bentsen.  I actually introduced them to a rally of about 500 students.  Did I think Wolfgang was a little weird and misguided?  Of course.  Did he think the same of me?  Of course.  Did we call each other names and scream at each other and think, "oh, if only you were smart you'd agree with me."  We did not. 

Even now, the one of my colleagues with whom I am closest personally is a supporter of Hillary Clinton.  I think she has a criminal psychology and she creeps me out.  She will probably start World War III.  I can't imagine voting for her for any office.  Ever.  Does that make me think my colleague is somehow an evil creep?  No.  We agree on many things, and often have discussions.  We even discuss politics, and we do so civilly.  Of course we both think Trump is also creepy so I suppose that helps, but we can discuss Clinton and her many flaws civilly as well. 

It is not defensible, and it is not normal, and it is not healthy to see these two women as anything other than victims of harassment.  They are not hypocrits, at least not based on the fact that they happen to support a candidate that you cannot stand.  They were discriminated against unfairly.  Whether or not the employee should have been fired is another issue, maybe worthy of debate, but I totally support the manager's decision and I'm fairly confident that I would have made the same decision. 

I know you're young, and your ideology is still developing and will for years to come, but based on your many prescient posts I'd have thought you were smarter than to try to spin this as anything other than what it is:  customers treated rudely by an unruly employee with a holier-than-thou attitude.

Angus, Trump is a racist and a bigot. He is running a bigoted campaign. Since George Wallace, no one has run such a campaign. It is not fair to compare him to Bush or Dukakis or Romney. He is a whole different beast. Campaigns like his should not be accepted by the rest of us.

I'm not sure anyone said anything about accepting his campaign.  I think the objection is more about needlessly, uselessly, and irrationally treating people like sh**t during a business transaction.

Trying to convince people of the odiousness and immorality of Trump's speech and proposals and committing to having respect for other people aren't logically exclusive.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2016, 06:26:55 PM »

That's going to be a whole lot of unemployed dumbasses.

And what happens when the owners do it?  Or even when the board of a Fortune 500 company with a quasi-monopoly does it (Apple seems like a good candidate for outright denouncing Trump/Trump supporters)?  What then? 

Then they lose business to competitors. Generally speaking, business-owners are going to not throw their livelihoods under the bus over ideological hysteria. There are, of course, exceptions. Apple may gamble on such a move to ingratiate itself to its mostly liberal customer base.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2016, 06:32:55 PM »

It may be hard for you to believe, but there was a time when people who supported different candidates, and indeed different political ideologies, to get along with one another.

Well, yeah, it is a pity that Trumpists have decided those were the bad days of political correctness. Now, with pc gone, gloves are off.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 06:45:18 PM by angus »

There's the rub.  Most Presidents are--Lincoln certainly made his feelings clear about the white man being superior to the Negro, but that doesn't mean he is any less of a hero for preserving the Union.  And not just in the United States.  Effective Asian, European, and African leaders have historically compared other tribes to animals.  

True.  That is one aspect in which I judge Clinton to be superior to Trump.  Far superior, in fact.  Her resume is quite impressive.  I do not trust her any more than I trust him, and I have no reason to think that her bigotry is any less than his, although she is far more diplomatic.  Still, she seems to have a keen understanding not only of domestic issues but of foreign policy as well.  That doesn't mean that she isn't capable of letting her pride take us into global war.  At leas with Clinton you know it'll be intentional, rather than accidental, which is how Trump will start the Third World War.

They all do.  If you are a king it just means that your ancestors were better thieves than mine, which is why I'm rabidly anti-monarchist.  I think most elected officials are full of bravado as well.  The essays and memoirs of aides and confidants suggest that Trump is not the only person who ever treated everyone around him as though they were a lesser species.  Can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs, or so they say.  John Kasich would evade Cleveland reporters for hours, belittling them, but his legislative agenda brought that city's, and the state's, unemployment rate by 40%.  Ann Richards was famous for being abrasive and impatient, but it doesn't mean that she was a worse governor than George W. Bush.  Sanders isn't particularly likeable either, but that fact didn't suggest to me that we should have discounted him in the primaries.  There might have been a time with second-place was an honorable thing to be, but nowadays no one can tell you who lost last year's World Series.  Second place might as well be 30th place.  Elections, like games, are about winning, and to the candidate the win is always worth the cost.  

Trump is surely a wild card, and that is what makes him different.  He is also reluctant to show any shame for his wrongful deeds.  People always hype the bigotry aspect, but his greatest misdeeds are far greater:  getting rich by buying cheap, ripping people off, and declaring bankruptcy every few years and leaving others to pay for his mistakes ranks, for me, greater than any of the sensationalistic, widely reported verbal gaffes.  Moreover, since he has no record of public service we do not know what to expect in terms of policy.  Perhaps the most surprising aspect of his candidacy is that he is quite open about having absolutely no loyalty to the Republican party, a fact that he did not hesitate to mention in the first debate six months ago, and yet the Republicans have supported him over other more qualified candidates.  Still, the very fashionable meme on this forum in which people try to convince themselves that his support is based on bigotry is extremely hard to defend.  It doesn't make sense.  People vote with their pocketbooks.  This year they have two candidates, neither of whom strike the majority as particularly honest or likeable.  We are left with two flawed candidates.  People don't support Trump because he is rude any more than they support Clinton because she hired private thugs to bully women into remaining silent after her husband sexually harassed them, using Arkansas taxpayer money to further her husband's (and ultimately her) career.  Surely you're smart enough to understand that.  If they support Trump, it is because they buy into his populist mantra.  If they support Clinton, it is because they think that, as horrible as she is, she is not Trump.  This year will not feature great statesmen honorably debating important issues.  This year will be two deeply flawed candidates who bring out the worst in all of us.  It is definitely the stuff of great entertainment.  Let's try not to take all this too seriously.  One of these two will be president, and either of them will do great harm to this country, so we might as well learn to get along with those who decide that the "other" is less dangerous that the one we choose.

Or you can join those of us who like to battle windmills.  After all, no one is bound by law to choose from two narcissists, just because they happen to be supported by one of the two corporate-controlled political factions.  Avoid the fashionable candidates.  Be bold.  Be unique.  Vote for a Socialist or a Libertarian or a Green or an independent.  Why not?

For your edification and amusement, I'll provide a link to a list of at least 16 alternatives to this year's version of Pepsi versus Coca-Cola.  Have a look.

In any case, you will find that as your professional life becomes more complicated, you will have to rub elbows with people who might not share your political affiliations.  You will have to learn that it is not normal, not healthy, and not productive, to cheer on those who mistreat them.  The sooner you can learn that, the happier and more satisfied you will be.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies