Massive FF cashier in Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:38:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Massive FF cashier in Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Massive FF cashier in Virginia  (Read 2759 times)
Curbstomp
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »

Exquisite dictatorship in further proof of why he deserves to be banned
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »

I seriously doubt a majority of Trump supporters are as informed about all of the things that he has said as you are.  That doesn't mean they don't deserve some culpability for their own ignorance and superficiality, but you should expect that voters in general are pretty ignorant and uninformed.  

It is our challenge to elevate their level of consciousness.  I think that, whether we like it our not, our discourse must proceed in a way that is simultaneously tough and unyielding but also loving and accepting, if it is to succeed.

Hmm, that is true. I agree with you in principle on this, but I also have doubts to whether they are ignorant of what Trump has said/done. Trump's entire strategy seems to be based on creating drama so he can dominate one news cycle to the next, so I wonder how Trump supporters who are interested enough to actually go to an event could not know about, say, his attacks on the judge, or perhaps him mocking a disabled reporter, and so on. I mean, these were/are big things.

I might be more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt had they not literally been coming back from a Trump event, but that's not the case here. Trump seems to show his true colors frequently at his events.

It really bothers me how Trump supporters are willing to just accept his bs, or even worse, rationalize/justify the awful things Trump has said and done. Honestly, I thought most Americans were better than this.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2016, 07:14:07 PM »

They all do.  If you are a king it just means that your ancestors were better thieves than mine, which is why I'm rabidly anti-monarchist.

In their own ways, sure, but with limitations. Trump's entire lifestyle seems to be based around bullying and taking advantage of people in one way or another. The levels he sinks to are unreal, and I don't think, say, Clinton would ever mock a disabled person like he did. I don't think she would run a scam university, either. I think each person has their own ways of expressing these traits, but not all are as bad or obvious, even. Trump is the worst, most awful "politician" I have ever seen in America. Most politicians usually are terrible in only one or two ways, but Trump is like the All-in-One version of a scumbag politician. It's unreal.

Trump is surely a wild card, and that is what makes him different.  He is also reluctant to show any shame for his wrongful deeds.  People always hype the bigotry aspect, but his greatest misdeeds are far greater:  getting rich by buying cheap, ripping people off, and declaring bankruptcy every few years and leaving others to pay for his mistakes ranks, for me, greater than any of the sensationalistic, widely reported verbal gaffes.

You're right. I do tend to mention his bigotry, but his utter shamelessness and pathological lying is arguably even worse in some ways. He will literally say one thing, then 1 day later, deny he said it right to your face, as if he thinks you are stupid.

But the fraud, the scams, the predatory behavior, I mean, this guy is evil. He's a stain on humankind. I'm not normally so brutal in my commentary, but over the past year Trump has outdone himself time after time and my opinion of him has almost reached rock bottom. I never thought any "politician" could be this bad, let alone win the presidential nomination for a major party!

In any case, you will find that as your professional life becomes more complicated, you will have to rub elbows with people who might not share your political affiliations.  You will have to learn that it is not normal, not healthy, and not productive, to cheer on those who mistreat them.  The sooner you can learn that, the happier and more satisfied you will be.

Of course. Don't forget, I live in Florida, and a Romney-voting county. I feel comfortable saying that at least half, if not more, of the people I interact with on a daily basis are anywhere from moderately conservative to full blown Obama-is-a-Muslim conservative. I don't really involve politics with those people, and I don't judge them entirely based on that - A lot of them are good people who either I disagree with politically, sometimes a lot, or who just buy into some really silly stuff (eg Obama is a Muslim). It's just this Trump stuff has blown my abilities to tolerate certain behavior out of the water.

So don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Republicans in general, and I have Republican friends, but there are certain aspects of Trump & his supporters that I have no love for. This is a rather unique situation for me.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2016, 08:01:21 PM »

I don't support discrimination like that, but at the same time I don't feel a lot of sympathy given who they are supporting. They give that bigot a free pass on whatever discriminatory policies he proposes, or whatever racist sh**t he says, then go and complain when they experience a little discrimination and mockery. Things they so willingly overlooked or even downright supported when it came from Trump.

So, sure, they should be served either way, but they are still giant hypocrites.

The Supreme Court, in Katzenbach v. McClung, ruled that public accomodations could not discriminate on the basis of race, color, etc.  I've long ago recognized that my rights are inextricably tied up with the rights of folks I may consider to be outright scumbags.  The hypocrites in this day and age are, for the most part, the liberals who are about "Free Speech for me, but not for thee."
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 08:08:28 PM »

I don't support discrimination like that, but at the same time I don't feel a lot of sympathy given who they are supporting. They give that bigot a free pass on whatever discriminatory policies he proposes, or whatever racist sh**t he says, then go and complain when they experience a little discrimination and mockery. Things they so willingly overlooked or even downright supported when it came from Trump.

So, sure, they should be served either way, but they are still giant hypocrites.

The Supreme Court, in Katzenbach v. McClung, ruled that public accomodations could not discriminate on the basis of race, color, etc.  I've long ago recognized that my rights are inextricably tied up with the rights of folks I may consider to be outright scumbags.  The hypocrites in this day and age are, for the most part, the liberals who are about "Free Speech for me, but not for thee."

Wait a second, let's not go that far.  There are millions of folks even in this day an age who want a quasi-theocratic society where schools are overtly Christian and businesspeople can discriminate based on deeply held religious beliefs.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2016, 08:31:42 PM »

Wait a second, let's not go that far.  There are millions of folks even in this day an age who want a quasi-theocratic society where schools are overtly Christian and businesspeople can discriminate based on deeply held religious beliefs.

Let me ask you this, seriously:  If a local Nazi group asked a caterer to cater an event that celebrated the anniversary of Kristallnacht, and the caterer refused, what would be the difference, other than the fact that most folks that people would consider "anti-gay" find Nazis far more repulsive than they find gay folks (or, at least, the idea of SSM). 

I'm a Christian, and a conservative one at that (fundamentalist, Pentecostal).  I do believe, Biblically, that any sexual activity outside of sex between a man and a woman married to each other is sin, and that includes all homosexual activity.  Aside from the impact on issues of adoption and child custody (Folks are being dishonest if they are assuring you that they know that SSM on a broad scale won't negatively impact children in the aggregate.) I view what homosexuals do as being "on them".  If I'm a notary public and two gay folks wanted to be married, I'd either go through with the marriage or give up my notary.  I wouldn't be like Kim Davis demanding an exception.  That's my idea of tolerance.  I'm not signing off on what other people do and I'm not going to whitewash the idea that homosexuality is sin, but I'm not going to beat people over the head with the idea, either.  People have a right to be left alone. 

For those who would say that I am hateful and bigoted, besides asserting that I am not, I would ask the reader to consider that the God I believe in has said that these practices are sinful.  Before you blow that off, recognize that it's the same God that has said this that has also said "Love one another as I have loved you.", "Love your enemies.", "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.",  and "Inasmuch as you have done this unto the least of My Brethren, you have also done this unto Me.".  Because of who I believe God is, and what THAT God says, I don't have the luxury of picking and choosing which of His Words I will accept as true and which ones I will defy or ignore.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2016, 08:51:57 PM »

What you do in these situations is spit in their food without them knowing. That would have been the appropriate response.

This is disgusting ! Why would you even say this ?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2016, 08:53:55 PM »

Do we want the world to just devolve into us-vs-them conflict where no one has any empathy to understand where other people are coming from

It has devolved into precisely that - as a direct consequence of Trump campaign. In Russia they have a saying that, roughly, translates as "you should not cry about your haircut after a beheading". You are too late to be crying about civility in discourse. It will take decades to reestablish now.

I'm not sure if I'm necessarily crying about civility in discourse.  I want discourse that is productive and brotherly, if sometimes heated. 

Well, we would, probably, need to wait till the last of us, who have seen Donald Trump in action die. Perhaps, in another 60 or 70 years, perhaps...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2016, 08:57:30 PM »

This BS just feeds Trump supporters' sense of martyrdom and results in one more unemployed idiot on the dole. How many times does this need to happen? Remember the Chipotle employees who refused to serve cops?

Well, Trump campaign is all about abolishing civility in political discourse. So, I would say, 300,000,000 times may be about the right number of times for this to happen between now and November.

That's going to be a whole lot of unemployed dumbasses.

Sure. Trumpism will result in lots of changes. For instance, since, in the future, you may pretty much assume that somebody is pissing on your hamburger for political reasons, all sorts of eateries will close down: which customer would like to have urine with his or her meat. In our age of burger-pissing restaurants will go out of fashion, which will, no doubt decrease employment. What a way to make America great!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2016, 08:58:33 PM »

What you do in these situations is spit in their food without them knowing. That would have been the appropriate response.

Piss on their food, not spit on their food. Spit is insufficiently pungent. Piss would be appropriate.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »

Generally speaking, business-owners are going to not throw their livelihoods under the bus over ideological hysteria.

Historically, we have ample evidence to the contrary.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2016, 09:00:20 PM »

Both sides are equally hypocrites. If support discrimination you can't complain if you're on the recieving end, and if you oppose it you shouldn't be perpetrating it yourself. Stooping to the level of Trumpists makes you just as bad.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2016, 09:05:10 PM »

In any case, you will find that as your professional life becomes more complicated, you will have to rub elbows with people who might not share your political affiliations.  You will have to learn that it is not normal, not healthy, and not productive, to cheer on those who mistreat them.  The sooner you can learn that, the happier and more satisfied you will be.

I think you are mistaken about the future. You have grown of age in the pristine idealistic pre-Trump age, when pissing on your neighbor's burger would have been considered an unseemly behavior. Well, that is history now. Trump has seen to that. Instead of Pepsi and Coke we are sentenced to finish off the rest of our meals, till the day we die, with the choice piss of our enemies. This is the new norm: if you are not pissing into your neighbor´s food, you are merely a fool, stuck in the olden age of chivalry. Get used to the taste - you will not have a chance to taste food not reeking of urine again, in any case.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »

This is disgusting ! Why would you even say this ?

He is, actually, being overly polite, in this brave new burger-pissing age of ours.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2016, 09:06:45 PM »

It should be legal to refuse service for any reason. However, doing so in most cases is something only a HP would do.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 11:26:36 PM by ag »

The Supreme Court, in Katzenbach v. McClung, ruled that public accomodations could not discriminate on the basis of race, color, etc.  I've long ago recognized that my rights are inextricably tied up with the rights of folks I may consider to be outright scumbags.  The hypocrites in this day and age are, for the most part, the liberals who are about "Free Speech for me, but not for thee."

People have to be served: no question of that. But people also have to be rude to each other: this is the new Constitution of the United States.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2016, 09:08:14 PM »

It should be legal to refuse service for any reason. However, doing so in most cases is something only a HP would do.

Naturally, refusing service to a Trumpist is illegal - and should be illegal. But, had it been legal, refusing Trumpist service would have been an act of civic duty.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:27 PM »

Naturally, refusing service to a Trumpist is illegal - and should be illegal. But, had it been legal, refusing Trumpist service would have been an act of civic duty.

As long as you don't assert that you are a tolerant individual, you will have some credibility left.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 09:15:54 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Both sides are equally hypocrites. If support discrimination you can't complain if you're on the recieving end, and if you oppose it you shouldn't be perpetrating it yourself. Stooping to the level of Trumpists makes you just as bad.

I keep seeing people using one form or another, to calling others who have commented here "hypocrites."
But the vast majority of red-avatars, and others supporting Hillary/Dem, are saying that what the employee did was wrong, and that service should not have been refused to these customers.
(PS: Not necessary saying you, Hammy, are directly guilty of this.)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2016, 09:18:03 PM »

ag,
Who "put the quarter (coin) in you" tonight.
You are on a rampage.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »

As long as you don't assert that you are a tolerant individual, you will have some credibility left.

I am, most definitely, a highly intolerant individual. Liberalism, in my book, implies opposing any restriction on individual political expression, but not approving or tolerating any political expression. If a government were to prohibit Trumpists, Nazis, Commies or anybody similarly repugnant from exercising their political rights (including the rights of free speach) I would, unquestionably, be outraged. But, in my book, every decent individual has an individual civic duty to tell Trumpists, Nazis and Commies that he views them with highest degree of disgust.

Personally, what I would do if I were a restaurant owner next to the Cleveland convention site, is to post a large sign stating that a fixed proportion of the cost of every meal shall be donated, in the name of the customer, to a PAC dedicated to stopping the country from falling into the clutches of the subhuman son of a mammalian female called Donald Trump. The sign would also say that every customer, by patronising the business, agrees that the mother of every Trump supporter is a bitch.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »

I keep seeing people using one form or another, to calling others who have commented here "hypocrites."
But the vast majority of red-avatars, and others supporting Hillary/Dem, are saying that what the employee did was wrong, and that service should not have been refused to these customers.

I was referring to the cashier and the customers, but if you want to make this about the posters here and play victim have at it.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »

ag,
Who "put the quarter (coin) in you" tonight?

Donald J. Trump.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2016, 09:20:23 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 09:22:38 PM by ProudModerate2 »

I was referring to the cashier and the customers, but if you want to make this about the posters here and play victim have at it.

Ah OK.
It could be read either way. Got it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2016, 09:21:54 PM »

LOL.
Nuf said. (Good answer)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to: