Gary Johnson making concerted effort for Utah
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:22:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Gary Johnson making concerted effort for Utah
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gary Johnson making concerted effort for Utah  (Read 978 times)
HillOfANight
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-utah-trump-libertarians-20160617-snap-story.html

Utah is one of the handful of states where Libertarian presidential candidate Gary Johnson plans to focus his energies, hoping to capitalize on the revulsion against Trump felt by many of those conservative Mormons.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 09:20:30 AM »

Social issues will kill Johnson in Utah. Trump will win the state.

Not necessarily.  Trump's a hard pill to swallow for legalistic Mormons.  Johnson/Weld would be an acceptable way for Utah's Mormons to deliver a personal rebuke to Trump without having to do the Hillary thing.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 09:46:54 AM »

Not necessarily.  Trump's a hard pill to swallow for legalistic Mormons.  Johnson/Weld would be an acceptable way for Utah's Mormons to deliver a personal rebuke to Trump without having to do the Hillary thing.

Johnson may break 10%, but it won't be enough to take victory away from TRUMP. I bet he'll win with approx. 55% of the vote, compared to Johnson's 8-10% and 35-39% for Hillary.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »

Johnson may break 10%, but it won't be enough to take victory away from TRUMP. I bet he'll win with approx. 55% of the vote, compared to Johnson's 8-10% and 35-39% for Hillary.

This
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »

I wonder how well Castle will do here?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »

About half the votes Goode got. So about 0.14%, or about a thousand votes.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »

Looks like Trump will have to defend UT of all places.
Suck my caulk
DemocratforJillStein
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »

That's my concern. I don't see him winning the state, but I do think that a good percentage of millennial Utahan Republicans actually agree with, and will break for, Gary Johnson. As for the social conservatives, I think most will either hold their nose and reflively vote for the Republican, or vote for a conservative third party like the Constitution Party.
Suck my caulk
DemocratforJillStein
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 03:02:32 PM »

I think if a Mormon is truly legalistic, they are probably not even going to vote for Trump, and will probably abstain or vote for the Constitution Party candidate.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »

This
Right. Some Libertarians are pro-life, but Johnson and Weld are not. That will be a major deal breaker for (most of) the Mormons. My early prediction:
Trump: 53%
Clinton: 36%
Johnson: 11%
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 04:14:23 PM »

This
Right. Some Libertarians are pro-life, but Johnson and Weld are not. That will be a major deal breaker for (most of) the Mormons. My early prediction:

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 04:21:24 PM »

Looks like Trump will have to defend UT of all places.

This is the point. Trump will still win UT but he'll have to spend money to do so and spend time campaigning there to calm down the Mormons. That's fewer resources for battlegrounds.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 02:20:14 AM »

Don't Mormons not really care about abortion? They love Mitt Romney after all.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 02:22:11 AM »

This

Does no one besides me think that Castle will get above three or four percent in Utah?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies