Have your views on gun control changed either way since Orlando?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:02:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Have your views on gun control changed either way since Orlando?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Have your views on gun control changed either way since Orlando?
Yes (More in favor of gun control than before)

Yes (More in favor of gun owners' rights than before)

Nope

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Have your views on gun control changed either way since Orlando?  (Read 1865 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »

Just curious if this past week of exhaustive debate has changed anybody's opinions.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »

I didn't know it was possible, but I'm even more in favor of gun control.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »

More supportive of gun rights
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 07:30:19 PM »

No change.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 07:38:46 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2016, 07:56:36 PM by TDAS04 »

Somewhat more in favor in gun control.

I've been ambivalent on gun control, but I'm now in favor of banning certain types of guns more than ever (though I was certainly in favor before).  I also get turned off by the gun culture that won't even consider regulations on certain guns and the gun culture that claims guns are for "protection against government tyranny".
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 07:45:20 PM »

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »

No. I've been in favor of universal background checks and an assault weapons ban for years, and in favor of "no fly no gun" for months.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 08:20:16 PM »

I'm ambivalent as always.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 08:25:28 PM »

No. I'm still pro-2nd amendment rights. I might have slightly, on balance, moved to the right on issues like the loophole, but that's about it.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 09:56:32 PM »

Not at all. In a sane world, I'd support a national gun registry and mandatory background checks but in the world of modern America we can't have such things without the government randomly seizing them all whenever the Democrats gain control. Also, the "assault weapons" ban idea doesn't seem to make any sense.

Also, the Orlando shooting is one that would be very hard to have prevented by any of the reforms being proposed right now.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 10:16:30 PM »

Nah.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 06:18:06 AM »

Not at all. In a sane world, I'd support a national gun registry and mandatory background checks but in the world of modern America we can't have such things without the government randomly seizing them all whenever the Democrats gain control. Also, the "assault weapons" ban idea doesn't seem to make any sense.

Also, the Orlando shooting is one that would be very hard to have prevented by any of the reforms being proposed right now.

Agreed.

Frankly, I'd be interested to hear from those pushing for tighter gun controls on why that didn't work for the people in Paris. France has very tight gun controls, France does not make guns readily available to its citizenry, and yet 130 people are killed and 368 others are injured in a coordinated attack. So for the sake of argument, please explain how removing all guns from the hands of law-abiding American citizens would make any difference whatsoever on these terrorist incidents? Because from where I sit, Paris cannot be pointed to as an example of where we hope to be with regard to gun control or addressing terrorist threats.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 06:20:44 AM »

Slightly more in favor, I'd say.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 09:33:48 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2016, 09:40:22 AM by Senator Blair »

Because we should clearly be carrying guns in gay clubs.

Agreed.

Frankly, I'd be interested to hear from those pushing for tighter gun controls on why that didn't work for the people in Paris. France has very tight gun controls, France does not make guns readily available to its citizenry, and yet 130 people are killed and 368 others are injured in a coordinated attack. So for the sake of argument, please explain how removing all guns from the hands of law-abiding American citizens would make any difference whatsoever on these terrorist incidents? Because from where I sit, Paris cannot be pointed to as an example of where we hope to be with regard to gun control or addressing terrorist threats.

The argument has never been that gun control will stop mass shootings- in fact thanks to the Balkans it's easier to get assault weapons from the Former Yugoslavia (but still very hard) The argument is that the French police were armed, and frankly the best people to stop these gun attacks are the police.

I really don't get why Americans have this idea that if everyone was armed it would prevent these massacres.

Even as a relatively healthy, fit 19 year even if I was armed I'd struggle to stop a mass shooting, especially if I was at a concert/gay club; in fact I'd be more likely to cock it up and shoot someone by accident/shoot myself etc.

It's like the claim that women are safer because of guns- sure it's stopped assaults/rapes and that's good. But a women is 22 times more likely to be used in domestic violence against women.

Like most of public policy it comes down to numbers/stats rather than your gut; we love the heroic image of a brave gun owner stopping the next Sandy Hook but frankly it's a load of bollocks
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »

This is an extraordinarily dishonest argument. The Paris attacks were carried out by a dedicated cell of professional terrorists with links to organised crime (this part being critical: this is how they got hold of their weapons) and was the culmination of months of work and planning. No one has ever suggested that gun controls can prevent that. The Orlando shooting was carried out by one man who walked into a shop and who legally purchased everything he needed. No organisation needed, no serious forward planning needed, no tricky links with the criminal underworld to cultivate. It seems very likely that tighter gun controls could at least have meant that he was not armed with weapons that make it so very easy to kill a lot of people very quickly, even if they could perhaps not have prevented the attack.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 10:18:11 PM »

This is an extraordinarily dishonest argument. The Paris attacks were carried out by a dedicated cell of professional terrorists with links to organised crime (this part being critical: this is how they got hold of their weapons) and was the culmination of months of work and planning. No one has ever suggested that gun controls can prevent that. The Orlando shooting was carried out by one man who walked into a shop and who legally purchased everything he needed. No organisation needed, no serious forward planning needed, no tricky links with the criminal underworld to cultivate. It seems very likely that tighter gun controls could at least have meant that he was not armed with weapons that make it so very easy to kill a lot of people very quickly, even if they could perhaps not have prevented the attack.

Yes. And I agree that gun control laws should be tightened up, especially when it comes to certain classes of weapons. But placing the primary focus on the weapons rather than the shooters is incorrect thinking, at least from my perspective.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 11:26:50 PM »

I used to kind of be on the fence on the no fly-no gun rule, but now I don't care.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 11:49:02 PM »

Agreed.

So, do you or don't you support national background checks and psychological tests?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 12:15:31 AM »

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 03:39:55 AM »

Yes, I believe it is more important than ever to enact a new Assault Weapons Ban. I really do not understand why people feel the need to possess military-style assault weapons. They are not weapons that need to be available to the general public. As far as I'm concerned, I think the NRA should be designated a terrorist organization.

I did prepare a longer post, but I deleted it. I don't know why I bother. To so many in this country, guns are clearly more important than human life. I can't even comprehend what family and friends of victims, let alone survivors, of a massacre like this have to deal with. I didn't know anyone in this tragedy, but I know very well that this could have happened anywhere in this country. I have a hard time not thinking of Christine Leinonen, the mother that was crying on the street not knowing if her son was dead or alive. She could have been anyone's mother here, not the least of which my own mom (the overprotective type that gets nervous when her son doesn't immediately respond). Needless to say, it ended tragically and she found out that her son was dead in the nightclub.

To those that argue against me, would it make any difference if it was one of your family or friends that was killed in a mass shooting from a military-style assault weapon? I just want to try to understand a perspective that believes in guns more than human life. What would it take?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 04:50:45 AM »

Yes, its changed my views a lot.   

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 06:53:05 AM »

I was already an extremely strong supporter of gun control, so there wasn't much change. 
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »

More in favor of background checks.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »

No real change.  I've supported universal background checks and not allowing those on no-fly lists to purchase a gun for as long as I can remember.  Pretty static on the issue.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 07:27:42 AM »

Agreed.

So, do you or don't you support national background checks and psychological tests?

Do I support national background checks and psychological tests? Absolutely. But what I've been saying, and what I continue to question, is whether focusing exclusively on the guns is really the proper way to go. If people are unwilling to say that Islam has a problem, if people ignore the fact that the United States and other western nations are coming under increasingly targetted attack, and if people continue to want to deny that the concerns being voiced by our intelligence officials are legitimate, we will continue to fool ourselves into thinking we're making headway. The folks bringing these attacks on us have no problem whatsoever using the term "jihad" when referring to their murder of Americans, but we Americans are told that we need to be "sensitive to our Muslim brothers". It's simply absurd.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies