Have your views on Islam changed since the Orlando Terror Attack
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:28:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Have your views on Islam changed since the Orlando Terror Attack
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ^
I'm less supportive of Islam

I'm more supportive of Islam

My view hasn't changed at all

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Have your views on Islam changed since the Orlando Terror Attack  (Read 808 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:27:30 PM »

Vote.

Personally it hasn't changed my views a majority Muslims are probably good people in the US but I don't like the Islamist portion of the religion which is seeming to grow.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 09:11:36 PM »

Vote.

Personally it hasn't changed my views a majority Muslims are probably good people in the US but I don't like the Islamist portion of the religion which is seeming to grow.

What's the "Islamist portion"?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 09:15:57 PM »

Vote.

The more radical portion specifically in places like the suburbs of Paris and other larger European cities and the Middle East and North Africa.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:17:44 PM »

Vote.

The more radical portion specifically in places like the suburbs of Paris and other larger European cities and the Middle East and North Africa.
Then say radical.

Islamist is just an adjective for Islam as far as I know.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »

Vote.

Then say radical.

Islamism is a political ideology that is centered around Islam, including things like Sharia and pan-Islamism. It is distinct from Islam like how Christian democracy is distinct from Christianity and Zionism is distinct from Judaism.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:29:05 PM »

Vote.

Then say radical.

Islamism is a political ideology that is centered around Islam, including things like Sharia and pan-Islamism. It is distinct from Islam like how Christian democracy is distinct from Christianity and Zionism is distinct from Judaism.
Exactly
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:52:40 PM »

Vote.

Then say radical.

Isn't Islam already a political system from its very founding? Christian democracy was some combination ideology developed 1700 years after the religion started, so that doesn't seem like a good comparison at all.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 12:05:19 AM »

Vote.

Then say radical.

Isn't Islam already a political system from its very founding? Christian democracy was some combination ideology developed 1700 years after the religion started, so that doesn't seem like a good comparison at all.

Islamism is also very recent, with its origins in the late 19th C
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 01:32:40 AM »

Vote.

Then say radical.

"Islamism" isn't a precise term, and I don't think people are who commonly called "Islamists" would generally agree that they share an ideology with others who are called by that term, so in that sense very different from Christian Democracy or Zionism.  Islam has from the beginning had political implications and claimed authority over political life, not as a single system, but having different interpretations over time, and some strands of Islam not focusing on this at all.  Whether "Islamism" is fourteen centuries old or a modern invention depends on how one defines the term - certainly the forms we see today are shaped very much by modern political conditions and intellectual developments of the past few centuries.  Extreme groups like ISIS represent a break with earlier Islam in many ways, as seen for example by the fact that they are attempting to destroy groups of non-Muslims or those they consider heretical sects, people that while they were 2nd-class citizens were able to hold onto thriving communities in the midst of Muslim rule up until the 20th century when you start to see more widespread persecution, and then even more so in the present.
Meanwhile there are also 'Islamist' groups that want to work within democracy and have not expressed an objective of wiping out nonbelievers or dissenters.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 05:39:49 AM »

My objection to radical is that it's a stupid word, with no actual negative meaning. You can be a radical engineer/teacher etc.

But no my views haven't changed at all- I think most people know/understand that the extreme fringes of most religions are militantly opposes to gay rights
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »

Hasn't changed. There are some really bad dudes, but not all muslims are terrorists, violent or anti-democratic.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 10:53:55 AM »

FTR Islamism is not necessarily a violent ideology (in fact the vast majority of Islamists don't practice violence - there are plenty of Islamist parties in many established democracies, some more conservative or more mainstream than others). The ones engaged in violence are usually the Qutbist takfiris and Wahhabist dissidents (i.e. those who condemn governments in Muslim-dominated countries for not being extreme enough). And these movements are motivated every bit (if not moreso) by explicitly political grievances as they are by religious ones. Moreover, many people would be surprised to find that a significant number of Al-Qaeda and ISIS members know next to nothing about their own religious and cultural traditions other than what Angry Charismatic Cleric at their mosque says or what certain verses of the Qu'ran say (ripped out of any context and unmediated by any serious scholarly interpretation).

Note also that many of the young Muslim men (and let's be real; most of these people are young men) who actually engage in terrorism come from relatively secular or non-devout backgrounds, and they often have had contact with Western cultures. In fact, many of them were either born in, raised in, or at the very least, have lived in Western countries. They often feel a sense of "dual alienation": on the one hand, they feel alienated from Western culture (for rather obvious reasons), but on the other hand, they often feel alienated from their own cultures, as well. Searching for identity, belonging, meaning, and a means of alleviating their political anger, social disaffection,  and oftentimes, extreme boredom, some of these people end up turning to terrorism.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 04:15:55 AM »

Seriously?
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 04:45:14 AM »

Hasn't changed, having known many Muslims during my lifetime, while some Muslims are extremist nutballs, I know most of them are not lunatic terrorists.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 08:12:31 AM »

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 08:13:19 AM »

No (sane)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 04:29:48 PM »

Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 05:17:03 PM »

Hasn't changed.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 05:25:30 PM »

Yes, the hysterical backlash has made me even more supportive of the Islamic community.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 06:45:31 PM »

Nope.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 07:25:02 PM »

Mr. Jew
Roger Waters
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 08:07:30 PM »

No, but it has definitely changed my opinion about letting mentally deranged violently homophobic men anywhere near AR-17s.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies