Did r/atheism make atheism "uncool"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:49:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Did r/atheism make atheism "uncool"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Did r/atheism make atheism "uncool"?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Did r/atheism make atheism "uncool"?  (Read 1687 times)
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »

Idk about the impact of one subreddit, but as someone who used to get a kick out of /r/atheism, it lost its luster a long time ago. It’s not really that much different than a lot of the other circlejerk subs at this point.
James Monroe

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »

I think the end of the Bush administration (as well as the departure from the political scene of issues like the Federal Marriage Amendment, Intelligent Design etc) had a lot to do with it: atheists became less united as a force, and were split by the less explicitly religious social issues that began to domaite media in the Obama and Trump administrations. And seeing as we're talking about the quality of online debate, the impact of gamergate was quite dramatic in how it created a fissure within the "sceptical community". A fair amount of online figures heavily invested in social issues on both sides grew out of the community, including figures as disparate as trans advocate ContraPoints and UKIP-stan Pat Condell.

For all the hand-writing of atheists as being fedora wearing neckbeards I don't see the community as being different from what it was at the end of the Bush administration. Secular voters are united on voting against the Republican Party that is still very religious in nature. It's not the political party that resembles a conservative atheist like George Will but the Mike Pence's of the country who seek to end freedom of religious expression. I think the mainstreaming of secularism has played a part in the downgrading of online communities, as it isn't stigmatizing to come out as a non-believer like it was in the Bush years. While neckbeard dwellers want to compelled their lack of belief as being special it just doesn't carry the same rebellious nature it did when the internet was a place for outsiders to have a safe spot.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2019, 04:00:13 AM »

I think the end of the Bush administration (as well as the departure from the political scene of issues like the Federal Marriage Amendment, Intelligent Design etc) had a lot to do with it: atheists became less united as a force, and were split by the less explicitly religious social issues that began to domaite media in the Obama and Trump administrations. And seeing as we're talking about the quality of online debate, the impact of gamergate was quite dramatic in how it created a fissure within the "sceptical community". A fair amount of online figures heavily invested in social issues on both sides grew out of the community, including figures as disparate as trans advocate ContraPoints and UKIP-stan Pat Condell.

For all the hand-writing of atheists as being fedora wearing neckbeards I don't see the community as being different from what it was at the end of the Bush administration. Secular voters are united on voting against the Republican Party that is still very religious in nature. It's not the political party that resembles a conservative atheist like George Will but the Mike Pence's of the country who seek to end freedom of religious expression. I think the mainstreaming of secularism has played a part in the downgrading of online communities, as it isn't stigmatizing to come out as a non-believer like it was in the Bush years. While neckbeard dwellers want to compelled their lack of belief as being special it just doesn't carry the same rebellious nature it did when the internet was a place for outsiders to have a safe spot.

I agree with what you said. From a European perspective I think it's quite telling how pervasive 'assumed religiosity' was/is to spur an atheist subculture. Even in this sub forum going from being a religious/Catholic apologist to an atheist in 2010 I noticed a marked change in how what I was arguing was received even by people otherwise quite progressive which was not something I've ever received here. But I think as the young have increasingly become more European in their approach to profession of faith what I think was genuine animosity towards non belief is diminishing rapidly.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies