1002 - Signed into Law (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:53:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  1002 - Signed into Law (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1002 - Signed into Law  (Read 2080 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: June 18, 2016, 11:11:06 PM »

While I am not a member of this esteemed body, I thought I'd offer my thoughts anyways:

• Section 2 is arguably unconstitutional, depending on whether you consider the Game Moderatorship to be an "executive office." Per Article IV, Section 2 of the Constitution, the power to confirm presidential appointments lays with the Senate; while the Constitution is less clear on whether the Game Moderator specifically is considered a cabinet officer (this has historically been the case), I do not see the Constitutional argument for giving the House exclusive jurisdiction over nominations to the Game Engine.
  • I suggest giving a more detailed list of the Game Moderator's powers, so as to avoid the kind of controversy that has surrounded this post in the past. Specifically, I would recommend allowing the Game Moderator to simulate "effects of, and responses to, actions by the Republic of Atlasia, or the several Regions, both domestic and international; to simulate the actions of foreign nations, and all other Non Playable Characters; and to serve as a final arbitrator in all questions relating to the context in which the Republic of Atlasia exists."
  • Likewise, I suggest rewording Section 4 to state that the Game Moderator has the sole power to publish "binding" stories, as opposed to merely granting him/her veto power. This might seem like a syntactical argument, but as the bill currently stands it implies that stories published by private citizens have the same weight as stories published by the GM unless they are revoked by the latter. As the GM cannot be expected to read every post on the Fantasy Elections Board, it's better to classify all non-GM stories as works of fiction until and unless they are recognized as "canon" by the Game Moderator.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 07:52:49 PM »

There is no problem now, as the bill has been amended, but the nature of the Game Engine and its relationship to the cabinet needed to be addressed. The original version of Section 2 was ambiguous regarding the relationship between the Game Moderator and the cabinet - it did not state explicitly whether the GM was a glorified cabinet officer, or an independent entity. Because of the historical examples you mentioned, I thought it was best to be explicit about this.

As for my concerns with the House being the confirmative body, I have since reviewed Articles III and IV carefully, and it doesn't appear that this is strictly-speaking unconstitutional. Article IV gives the Senate the power to confirm presidential nominees for executive departments, but since this act states that the GM is not part of the executive branch, there appears to be no problem with vesting this power in the House.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »

well w/e i guess

But what will the Senate have to say about not having a say in the confirmation of the GM?

I expect they will reject it, most likely. Tongue

Whether or not you can do something is a seperate matter from whether or not you should obviously.

Congress can give the house said authority, but the Senate has to go along obviously and the merits of giving the House this exclusive authority need to be weighed. On the one hand you have most confirmations done by the Senate exclusively, on the other hand, the GM is differnet all other appoint posts naturally.
Come to think of it, vesting the power to confirm the GM in the House might actually be a benefit (as opposed to a neutral factor), as it would differentiate that office from the cabinet.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »

Y'all need to address whether (and how) the GM can be dismissed as well. I recommend allowing the President to remove the GM with the concurrence of 2/3 of the confirmative body.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 10:14:12 AM »

I'm in favor of Kent's amendment.  The removal of the Game Moderator is not something that should be taken lightly, but it may be necessary in instances of neglect or direct sabotage, and it is therefore prudent to have a process in place.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies