Congressional Black Caucus opposes Sanders' requests
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:11:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Congressional Black Caucus opposes Sanders' requests
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Congressional Black Caucus opposes Sanders' requests  (Read 1246 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »

Conservative Southerners strike again.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/bernie-sanders-black-caucus-superdelegates-224502

In a letter sent to both the Sanders and Hillary Clinton campaigns, the CBC is expressing its resolute opposition to two key reforms demanded by Sanders in the run-up to the Democratic convention: abolishing the party’s superdelegate system and opening Democratic primaries up to independents and Republicans.

"The Democratic Members of the Congressional Black Caucus recently voted unanimously to oppose any suggestion or idea to eliminate the category of Unpledged Delegate to the Democratic National Convention (aka Super Delegates) and the creation of uniform open primaries in all states," says the letter, which was obtained by POLITICO.

"The Democratic Party benefits from the current system of unpledged delegates to the National Convention by virtue of rules that allow members of the House and Senate to be seated as a delegate without the burdensome necessity of competing against constituents for the honor of representing the state during the nominating process."
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 03:56:33 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2016, 03:59:30 PM by Carapace Clavicle Moundshroud »

What a clown. Go start your own party and allow everybody to vote. Democratic primaries should be for Democrats.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »

What a clown. Go start your own party and allow everybody to vote. Democratic primaries should be for Democrats.

except that it's practically impossible to create a successful third party. Because of this, the only representation liberals can hope to get is from democrats. Many liberals (especially millennials) do not sign up as members of the democratic party because they dislike both parties. This is not a fair reason to deny someone a voice in the primary process.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »

From what I can tell, they're opposed because then elected officials would have to run for pledged delegate slots. This could easily be solved by just allocating superdelegates based off the popular vote.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »

Why would you oppose the second one?

Because blacks are mostly partisan Democrats and don't want independents to decide who will the party's presidential nominee. Especially since independents are mostly white.
BundouYMB

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 05:11:01 PM »

Sanders' desire for open primaries is an extremely thinly veiled attempt to disenfranchise black voters. Black voters overwhelmingly register as Democrats. Their are virtually no blacks registered as independents. They would be by far the group to lose the most influence in the process should open primaries become uniform. Who would would have guessed the CBC would be opposed to this?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 05:19:45 PM »

From what I can tell, they're opposed because then elected officials would have to run for pledged delegate slots. This could easily be solved by just allocating superdelegates based off the popular vote.
That's what the Republicans do with their RNC members, seems simple enough to me.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »

In before "Sanders hates the blacks."

Sanders' desire for open primaries is an extremely thinly veiled attempt to disenfranchise black voters. Black voters overwhelmingly register as Democrats. Their are virtually no blacks registered as independents. They would be by far the group to lose the most influence in the process should open primaries become uniform. Who would would have guessed the CBC would be opposed to this?

Nvm.

I think that superdelegates do give a bit too much power to the party machine. I'd propose giving superdelegate votes only to Denocratic presidents (current and former) and incumbent governors, US senators, and US representatives. That would push it down to about 250-300 superdelegates. Perhaps one for the chair of the DNC if that person isn't one of the previously mentioned.

Open primaries are much more debatable. I would keep the current system. I would like for some of the dates to be moved up a bit. Didn't people have to register as Dems six months in advance? That seems rather ridiculous.

As much as it may be bad for candidates like Sanders (and Obama), caucuses need to go. That might be a fair compromise for getting rid of some of the superdelegates.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 05:29:21 PM »

Except nobody is actually taking away their right to vote so...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »

Shhhh. Stop getting in the way of people accusing their political opponents of racism!

Anyway, I like the CBC but I have to disagree with them on this, especially the first one. Closed primaries are a good idea in other countries but not in the US.
BundouYMB

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 05:42:29 PM »

No, just making it worth less.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 06:41:51 PM »

Seems fairly straightforward: if you want to influence a party, join it. It is not like party membership were in some way restricted - pretty much everywhere in the US it is a matter of a personal declaration.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »

haha okay there buddy
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 07:26:45 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2016, 08:11:09 PM by President Griffin »

Conservative Southerners strike again.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/bernie-sanders-black-caucus-superdelegates-224502

In a letter sent to both the Sanders and Hillary Clinton campaigns, the CBC is expressing its resolute opposition to two key reforms demanded by Sanders in the run-up to the Democratic convention: abolishing the party’s superdelegate system and opening Democratic primaries up to independents and Republicans.

"The Democratic Members of the Congressional Black Caucus recently voted unanimously to oppose any suggestion or idea to eliminate the category of Unpledged Delegate to the Democratic National Convention (aka Super Delegates) and the creation of uniform open primaries in all states," says the letter, which was obtained by POLITICO.

More than 40% of states don't have party registration, and most CBC members represent states that don't have party registration...so "showing your colors" isn't possible for a lot of voters in this country, and certainly not in many of the districts represented by the CBC.

20 of 43 CBC members live in states with party registration. For all intents and purposes, the remaining 23 are in states with some varying flavor of open primaries (15 of the 23 are in states where it is explicitly open). So...independents (and even Republicans in a good share of them) can already vote in elections where the majority of CBC members hold office. The world hasn't ended...

If this is a self-serving attempt (it definitely is for the superdelegates) with regard to representation in the party's electorate or process, then I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...Latinos are increasingly coming online in the political process at the same time that they're trending Democratic. They're going to weaken everybody else's influence with time. Black voters being 25% of the Democratic electorate is almost certainly a high watermark that will begin shrinking slowly once again in the coming years.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 07:31:06 PM »

13 of 43 CBC members live in states with party registration.

Not sure where you got that. I counted at least 21.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 08:08:22 PM »

13 of 43 CBC members live in states with party registration.

Not sure where you got that. I counted at least 21.

The list I was looking at may not be accurate/up-to-date. I also may have miscounted districts. In fact, I'm noticing discrepancies now that I look. I'm counting 20 now: NY (5), NJ (2), PA (1), MD (2), NC (2), OH (1), FL (3), LA (1), CA (3). I originally missed LA & CA.

So roughly half are in states with registration; half without. As far as states with registration, 28 have it (56%) and 22 do not (44%). Still seems like they're underexposed relative to the national situation...if it were even a legitimate fear (which it's not).
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 08:51:06 PM »

This opposition really doesn't make sense in terms of fall d democracy. If the CBC is actually about small d democracy, then there is an easy counter proposal on the voter registration issue: Use the New Hampshire system.

Basically, if you're a registered partisan, you can only vote in that party's primary. However, if you're an independent, you are required to register as the party of your choice when you cast your ballot. After you have the option to go back to being independent. So a semi-open primary that cuts out the partisans of the other party, keeping them from any chaos operations, but offers a chance to bring in independent minded folks, bringing them into the process, and possibly bringing them into the party. And growing the party should be a high priority for all members of the Democratic party establishment, assuming they actually want the party to do well and have leverage over government.

But flat out opposition, not helpful to that. But then, seeing the continued support for super delegates by the CBC, its kind of clear that there's not much support for small d democracy, and not offering a compromise for the alternative, kind of makes it seem like they don't care about party growth too.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »

I'd like to see the party be willing to side with Sanders on this one, but even if the party defied the CBC and adopted Sanders' requests, I'm not sure it would placate him or his remaining supporters. It takes two to deal.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 08:58:52 PM »

Turns out long-term incumbents in the Democratic establishment dislike attacks on the Democratic establishment...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 09:06:25 PM »

The problem with minority strength in the primaries is that it just feeds into national political polarization by race, which is counterproductive. The GOP's goal is to turn the entire country into Alabama, and that can't be allowed to happen if the left is going to have a chance to win. If that means diluting minority voting strength in primaries that's okay.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 09:11:40 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2016, 09:13:24 PM by a.scott »

The New Hampshire system would be a great compromise.  The larger problem is with states that require you to register months in advance (i.e. New York) in order to vote in the primary, although I'm not sure how many states use New York's absurd model.

But the number of unaffiliated voters is on the rise, especially with millennials, and it would behoove both parties to switch to an open or semi-open primary system if they want more to participate in them.  Of course, if it's something which boosts grassroots candidates and curbs establishment ones (which it does), don't expect anything to change this year, especially now that having a dissenting opinion on this issue makes you a racist.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 11:55:37 PM »

I don't want to try to shut people out of the process, but Democrats should vote for the Democratic nominee. Be at least a registered member of the party if you are going to vote.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 11:58:43 PM »

I'm a BIG fan of the NH system. Let independents become Dems that day if they want to vote for a Democratic candidate.

Also a big fan of the #FITN. Fite me if u don't like early states, m8.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 12:08:29 AM »

No, just making it worth less.

By that logic, as a white person, I guess I'm disenfranchising black people by voting. Maybe I'll sit this election out so that black people can become a higher percentage of the electorate.

That (sarcastically) said, I also support getting rid of caucuses, which would be more democratic, and would probably help enfranchise more black people. I think Sanders is hypocritical for not demanding that reform.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 12:22:49 AM »

You should rename yourself "Louisiana Lyndon"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies