Abolish the Death Penalty: Mission Accomplished
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:13:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Abolish the Death Penalty: Mission Accomplished
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Abolish the Death Penalty: Mission Accomplished  (Read 3763 times)
Pingvin
Pingvin99
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:10 AM »

I will oppose the abolition of death penalty.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 11:35:38 AM »

Could you elaborate as to why you are supporting the continuing practice of something that is arbitrary, has killed innocent lives and is not fiscally responsible?
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »

Could you elaborate as to why you are supporting the continuing practice of something that is arbitrary, has killed innocent lives and is not fiscally responsible?
I simply believe that terrorists, murderers and rapists simply don't deserve to live. Period.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »

I simply believe that terrorists, murderers and rapists simply don't deserve to live. Period.
Can you describe why you support the system we have now that allows for a man who killed over 50 people to avoid the death penalty while another man who had a mental illness and 1-day trial receive death penalty? Also, what would you say to the families, such as Carlos DeLuna's, who lost an innocent family member because their state had the death penalty? Had DeLuna been in a state that didn't have the death penalty, he would have been able to walk a free man.

Sorry, but I just can't accept "because that is what I believe" as a valid reason to turn a blind eye to innocent lives being lost in a system that is unjust.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 03:55:24 PM »

Can you describe why you support the system we have now that allows for a man who killed over 50 people to avoid the death penalty while another man who had a mental illness and 1-day trial receive death penalty? Also, what would you say to the families, such as Carlos DeLuna's, who lost an innocent family member because their state had the death penalty? Had DeLuna been in a state that didn't have the death penalty, he would have been able to walk a free man.

Sorry, but I just can't accept "because that is what I believe" as a valid reason to turn a blind eye to innocent lives being lost in a system that is unjust.
Look, I never said that would support a system that would've let the Orlando shooter get away with killing over 50 people. And there will always be mistakes in the judicial system, but they can be (and should be) fixed through different ways - abolition of death penalty is not one of them.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 04:11:00 PM »

"It's time we send the death penalty to the electric chair."

Seriously, I fully and enthusiastically support this. It shouldn't be up to men to make such a permanent and irreversible judgement.

Indeed. I am opposed to the government, an organization of flawed humans, condemning other humans to death. We have other means to punish criminals, that are not so irrevocable or so expensive.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 04:20:34 PM »

Look, I never said that would support a system that would've let the Orlando shooter get away with killing over 50 people. And there will always be mistakes in the judicial system, but they can be (and should be) fixed through different ways - abolition of death penalty is not one of them.
I was referring to Gary Ridgeway, not the Orlando shooting (see original post).

I look forward to seeing you introduce solutions on how we can fix the multiple flaws the death penalty causes without repealing it.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »

I'll be honest, I've always been a bit on the fence about this. I'll carefully consider each and every opinion.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »

What would happen to the persons already on death row including known terrorists like Dzhokhar Tsarnaev?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 09:41:33 PM »

I know it's a minority position here in Atlasia, but I support the death penalty.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Send them to Texas we can lock them up in 100+ degree weather without air conditioning.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »

What would happen to the persons already on death row including known terrorists like Dzhokhar Tsarnaev?

When the death penalty was temporarily abolished in California back in the 1970s, death sentences were commuted to simple life. This should be noted that it was not life without; these people were eligible for parole. Charles Manson came up for parole repeatedly, and was refused because he is still criminally insane.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2016, 06:06:40 PM »

support, obviously. the death penalty has literally no redeeming qualities.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 03:08:49 AM »

x Gass326 (Former Governor/Senator)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »

Debate has begun in the Senate. You can follow along here. Several legislators have still not weighed in on the issue! I encourage you to contact them and encourage them to vote AYE on SB 2016-003.

I am very happy with the response this has received so far - this bill has support across the political spectrum, including of both presidential candidates! Smiley
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 08:13:35 PM »

I agree. To me, pro-life means pro INNOCENT life only. I have no sympathy for dirty murderers who deserve to burn in hell. How about we work on a way to compromise. Maybe at the very least keep it for those where the evidence is indisputable, and where a mass number of people were killed. To address the fiscal issues, limit the appeals. Plus, I am really bothered and infuriated by the fact that taxpayer money is spend to keep those terrible people alive. I also believe that stricter punishment is better because (I think) it reduces crime, but that's just my opinion. I'm clearly way to the right of this board, but it's still fun.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 09:37:09 PM »

I know it's a minority position here in Atlasia, but I support the death penalty.

Good man! There must be some of us still around!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 04:54:06 AM »

I agree. To me, pro-life means pro INNOCENT life only.
To address the fiscal issues, limit the appeals.

err…
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 10:08:39 AM »

Well, aren't you just the idealistic Mr. Compassionate.  Never mind the innocent victims and the families of murdered victims, just as long as a murderous perpetrator monster is well cared for at taxpayers expense.

How very progressive thinking of you.

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 10:54:46 AM »

Not a member of the Senate or House of Representatives (yet), but I definitely support abolishing the death penalty. We shouldn't be justified in making that judgement.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2016, 12:55:54 PM »

To address the fiscal issues, limit the appeals.
It is the appeals process that has freed so many individuals who were originally wrongfully convicted.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2016, 06:27:39 PM »

Well, aren't you just the idealistic Mr. Compassionate.  Never mind the innocent victims and the families of murdered victims, just as long as a murderous perpetrator monster is well cared for at taxpayers expense.

is this meant to be a coherent thought?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »

is this meant to be a coherent thought?

Well, if you fail to understand the meaning, there is nothing I, nor anyone else, can do for you.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »

I have a question for advocates of abolishing the death penalty.

If the death penalty is abolished, would you support the abolishment of the death penalty being replaced by life sentences for murder, and by life sentences, I mean life in prison for the rest of their lives, with no chance of parole?

Of course I realize that there would be varying lengths of sentences depending on whether the murder was accidental, second degree, or first degree, so this would likely be taken into consideration with sentencing.

Your views would be appreciated.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 12:33:33 PM »

I know this is where I break off from some others, but personally I am in favor of life without parole as an alternative.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies