Abolish the Death Penalty: Mission Accomplished
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:55:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Abolish the Death Penalty: Mission Accomplished
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Abolish the Death Penalty: Mission Accomplished  (Read 3769 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2016, 12:51:02 PM »

I think arguing against the death penalty based on cost is a bit of a red herring. When put in context of our justice system, the financial cost of commuting the sentences of death row inmates to life imprisonment is relatively small. The moral and emotional cost of even one wrongful execution is immeasurable.

I'm pro-life, and that applies to even those who commit evil acts. I do not believe that it is society's job to end the life of a human being unless doing so will protect the lives of others. I realize that this bill is already being voted on, but I suggest that the death penalty is reserved for treason for civilians or severe military crimes that endanger discipline or Atlasian lives. I believe there are rare situations where capital punishment is actually the most pro-life action, and I think total abolition will restrict us from being able to act accordingly in such situations.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 01:23:33 PM »

I know this is where I break off from some others, but personally I am in favor of life without parole as an alternative.

So is the Senate going to abolish the death penalty without having any suitable plan to replace it with something else?
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »

I know this is where I break off from some others, but personally I am in favor of life without parole as an alternative.

I agree with Tmth.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2016, 09:34:42 PM »

I am happy to report that the amendment to abolish the death penalty has passed the Senate. It will now head to the House. Several representatives have still not voiced their opinion on this legislation - I encourage you to contact them and tell them to vote AYE! Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2016, 11:46:10 PM »

Great news: The constitutional amendment has passed in both the House and the Senate. It now moves to ratification by The People. A recent survey showed that 71% of Atlasians oppose the death penalty, including a majority of Federalists and all Laborites. I have high hopes that this amendment will pass the regions and will be added to the constitution.

Huzzah!! Smiley Smiley Smiley
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2016, 12:46:08 AM »

Don't screw this up, Atlasia.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »

THE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT ABOLITION AMENDMENT HAS BEEN RATIFIED BY THE NORTH!

The final tally was 78.5% for, 21.5% against - a truly astounding tribute to the justness of this campaign. Onward and upward, my friends!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2016, 11:45:45 PM »

I ask again, since most involved are running away from my question.

Do you support life in prison, without parole, ever, for first degree murderers?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2016, 11:52:38 PM »

Do you support life in prison, without parole, ever, for first degree murderers?

I don't think anyone is 'running away from your question', just confused on who it is for.

For me personally, I am fringe on this. I do not believe anyone, no matter what they have done should not have the ability to be looked at by a parole board. We also need to revamp our parole boards. We need a whole bunch of Criminal Justice Reform stuff done. And Abolishing the Death Penalty is Stage One for me in a goal of reforming a broken system.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2016, 12:58:49 AM »

I don't think anyone is 'running away from your question', just confused on who it is for.

For me personally, I am fringe on this. I do not believe anyone, no matter what they have done should not have the ability to be looked at by a parole board. We also need to revamp our parole boards. We need a whole bunch of Criminal Justice Reform stuff done. And Abolishing the Death Penalty is Stage One for me in a goal of reforming a broken system.

Thank you.

My question is for the legislative body members who passed this bill, and for all the supporters in general of this bill.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2016, 01:14:36 AM »

Thank you.

My question is for the legislative body members who passed this bill, and for all the supporters in general of this bill.

i agree with rep. neveragain's position in its entirety
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »

So we have a brutal killer commit a planned cold blooded first degree murder of a pregnant woman and her two year old and her four year and of her husband, shooting them execution style through the head so he could rob them of $200.00 cash and wanted no witnesses.

You advocate parole for such an individual.

How very noble of you. 
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2016, 08:55:24 AM »

For them? I completely do.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »

So we have a brutal killer commit a planned cold blooded first degree murder of a pregnant woman and her two year old and her four year and of her husband, shooting them execution style through the head so he could rob them of $200.00 cash and wanted no witnesses.

How very noble of you. 

this is, of course, a particularly nonsensical bit of fearmongering. it's not as if parole boards just rubber-stamp everyone through, you know that, right?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2016, 11:35:40 AM »

How very noble of you. 

Let's first remember that advocating for parole is not the same as being reviewed by a parole board, and does not necessarily mean receiving parole. In these horrific circumstances we as a society need to strive for justice for all, which means representing all sides and giving them the opportunity for redemption. And that is indeed noble.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2016, 12:54:35 PM »

How very noble of you. 

Let's first remember that advocating for parole is not the same as being reviewed by a parole board, and does not necessarily mean receiving parole. In these horrific circumstances we as a society need to strive for justice for all, which means representing all sides and giving them the opportunity for redemption. And that is indeed noble.

Then I can only conclude from your remarks that the person in the example I have given is worthy of parole or at least a chance of parole, and that you do not see the need for some criminals to be sentenced to life in prison without parole ever, regardless of the heinous crimes they have committed, and that you see as noble such an individual receiving parole should the parole board deem parole.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2016, 03:52:48 PM by Labor Whip and Representative NeverAgain »

How very noble of you. 

Then I can only conclude from your remarks that the person in the example I have given is worthy of parole or at least a chance of parole, and that you do not see the need for some criminals to be sentenced to life in prison without parole ever, regardless of the heinous crimes they have committed, and that you see as noble such an individual receiving parole should the parole board deem parole.

As I stated, I believe that everyone is worthy of parole and being looked at by a parole board. Whether they have been rehabilitated and are able to be reintegrated into society is up to these parole boards, which again must be revamped. I think the idea of redemption is noble and that is what I want all people who have been put in prisons to achieve, whether they choose to strive for rehabilitation is their goal. But ours should be letting those who have proven themselves worthy of being released be reviewed by a parole board.

But I will say that with the (hopeful) passing in all 3 regions gives me hope that this is only the beginning of advanced criminal justice reform, and in my term, as Representative I plan to build on this with new reforms in our broken system.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2016, 11:24:51 PM »

How very noble of you. 

As I stated, I believe that everyone is worthy of parole and being looked at by a parole board. Whether they have been rehabilitated and are able to be reintegrated into society is up to these parole boards, which again must be revamped. I think the idea of redemption is noble and that is what I want all people who have been put in prisons to achieve, whether they choose to strive for rehabilitation is their goal. But ours should be letting those who have proven themselves worthy of being released be reviewed by a parole board.

But I will say that with the (hopeful) passing in all 3 regions gives me hope that this is only the beginning of advanced criminal justice reform, and in my term, as Representative I plan to build on this with new reforms in our broken system.

So what you're really saying is that if an idealistic parole board chooses to release a cold blooded first degree murderer out on parole, who could very well go on a murderous rampage again, that is OK with you because it is "noble".

Can you please enlighten us as to the new reforms in our "broken system" you will be proposing?

Do you propose to weaken the judicial system to the point where they are toothless and useless, and where all rights are geared toward the criminal?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »

With a majority of support in the South and North regions, the death penalty has been abolished in Atlasia!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »

Thank you for having some common sense.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »

I agree with Tmth.

Thank you for having some common sense.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2016, 10:24:01 PM »

So I and others can be clear on where our Senators stand, our elected representatives, are there any other Senators who would support life in prison without parole for first degree murder?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2016, 10:35:28 PM »

So I and others can be clear on where our Senators stand, our elected representatives, are there any other Senators who would support life in prison without parole for first degree murder?
Winfield, I am working with NeverAgain to establish a congressional committee for criminal justice reform. Once it is up and running, I would really appreciate your insight and ideas in it. Hopefully these committees can start creating a stronger dialogue between legislators and their constituents.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2016, 11:04:25 PM »

I would be okay with it, depending on the circumstances of the murder.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2016, 11:30:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A couple of things wrong with that situation. You seem to be framing parole boards as the furlough program with Willie Horton who on release from prison raped a woman and brutally assaulted her fiancee. There are many things that parole boards take into account when looking at possibly paroling an individual. There is their conduct during incarceration, mental stability (as studied by a prison psychiatrist), remorse, rehabilitative efforts/progress, and much more.

There was a study done that showed that "Of 368 convicted murderers granted parole in New York between 1999 and 2003, six, or 1.6 percent,were returned to prison within three years for a new felony conviction – none of them a violent offense." and John Caher, a spokesman for the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services said: "Individuals who are released on parole after serving sentences for murder consistently have the lowest recidivism rate of any offenders."

That is not to say that parole boards do not have their problems, I still do get antagonized that there are still 1.6% that do turn back to crime and I'm sure that would probably be higher if we repealed life without parole entirely (though not too much). That is why as one of the things I will be looking for as a member of the Congressional Committee on Criminal Justice Reform, is to find ways to make sure that these prisoners have been fully rehabilitated and can be reintegrated into society.

Life with the possibility of parole is my goal for all prisoners, but I am completely data driven and want to strive for the best possible solution for our citizens, whether they are inside or outside of jail. I will be looking at parole boards, sentencing, rehabilitation, and drug use in my position on the Committee.

Winfield, I am working with NeverAgain to establish a congressional committee for criminal justice reform. Once it is up and running, I would really appreciate your insight and ideas in it. Hopefully these committees can start creating a stronger dialogue between legislators and their constituents.
I second this, even with some of your less than helpful comments about my positions. I look forward to your thoughts and opinions there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies