Describe a Obama 2008/Kirk 2010/Johnson 2012/Durbin 2014 Voter...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:42:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Obama 2008/Kirk 2010/Johnson 2012/Durbin 2014 Voter...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Obama 2008/Kirk 2010/Johnson 2012/Durbin 2014 Voter...  (Read 1074 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »

... and how they voted for Governor in 2010 and 2014.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 09:20:42 PM »

Easy. Downstater who feared having Palin as VP, felt Romney wasn't a real conservative, and sees Durbin as a rare "good dem" since he's a downstater too. Probably voted for Brady in 2010 and Rauner in 2014.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:31:37 AM »

Wow..I actually know one of these.

She is from the northern suburbs and self-identifies as an independent. She leans Democrat.

Obama as a change from Bush - couldn't stand W. Kirk because he's a "good Republican" - a popular sentiment among suburban indys. She'll vote for him again in 2016. Johnson because although she hated Romney with a passion, was unhappy with the Obamacare roll-out and knew Illinois wouldn't be in play, so Johnson was the protest vote. Durbin for the same reason many other indys did - he is seen as honest and effective.

In 2014 she voted for Pat Quinn because she is in the teacher's union and therefore disdains Rauner. Probably voted for Quinn in 2010 as well for similar reasons.

If you took Johnson out and replaced him with Obama 2012...

Obama 2008/Kirk 2010/Quinn 2010/Obama 2012/Durbin 2014/Quinn 2014

then that would probably describe a lot of teachers in the suburbs, as it is all Democrat but Kirk, who, like I said, is popular in those areas. Of course the quirk in OP is Johnson 2012, which is pretty cool that I actually know someone that fits the description.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »

Muh Pot! Muh Drones!
emcee0
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »

She is from the northern suburbs and self-identifies as an independent. She leans Democrat.

Obama as a change from Bush - couldn't stand W. Kirk because he's a "good Republican" - a popular sentiment among suburban indys. She'll vote for him again in 2016. Johnson because although she hated Romney with a passion, was unhappy with the Obamacare roll-out and knew Illinois wouldn't be in play, so Johnson was the protest vote. Durbin for the same reason many other indys did - he is seen as honest and effective.

In 2014 she voted for Pat Quinn because she is in the teacher's union and therefore disdains Rauner. Probably voted for Quinn in 2010 as well for similar reasons.

then that would probably describe a lot of teachers in the suburbs, as it is all Democrat but Kirk, who, like I said, is popular in those areas. Of course the quirk in OP is Johnson 2012, which is pretty cool that I actually know someone that fits the description.
who is she voting for President in 2016?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:11:49 PM »

That is pretty cool. If they admire honesty in Kirk and Durbin, though, I would think they would have voted for Grimm in 2014. Then again, Illinoisans seem to have a bit too much faith in the honesty of their Governors.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 10:35:45 AM »

who is she voting for President in 2016?

Predictably, she really hates Donald Trump. Really. Voted for Kasich in the GOP primary to stop Trump. Says she has never trusted the Clintons but "I realize that we have to stop Trump." Right now I'd describe her as Lean Clinton. Still a chance that she just goes third party again, though.

That is pretty cool. If they admire honesty in Kirk and Durbin, though, I would think they would have voted for Grimm in 2014. Then again, Illinoisans seem to have a bit too much faith in the honesty of their Governors.

As I said, though, she knew Illinois would not be competitive in 2012. The governor race in 2014 was very competitive and the teachers were very mobile and vocal against Bruce Rauner. There's no way she was not going to vote for his Democratic opponent, no matter who it was.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 01:41:43 PM »

So this very nearly describes me. I was just barely too young to vote in 08, but if I did it would have been the easiest vote in my life for Obama.

I came very close to voting for Kirk, because he seemed like a reasonable, qualified Republican and admittedly I was not impressed with Giannoulias. I eventually voted for Giannoulias because I just couldn't contribute to diminishing the Democrats' majority in the Senate. But if I had voted for who I thought the better candidate was, I would have voted for Kirk.

I did vote for Johnson in 2012, because I knew Illinois was not going to swing to Romney in any circumstances, and I was feeling the anti-establishment "Bern". I had voted for Ron Paul in the Republican primary and just wanted to send an anti-establishment message that I wasn't totally happy with what both parties had to offer. But I certainly was happy when Obama beat Romney.

I voted for Durbin in 2014, because even though I have some personal ties to Oberweis, cmon... Durbin is a no-brainer great senator for Illinois.

Obviously, this time around I am supporting Hillary from beginning to end, because even though I am not very satisfied with the political establishment, I strongly feel she is the best person for the job of president. I admire what Bernie stands for, and I hope the Democratic Party adopts some of his positions, but I don't feel like he is the best person to be president. I could vote for Gary Johnson again, but even if it looks like its going to be a landslide, I find it too important to vote for Hillary and against the worst candidate this country has ever seen.

While I don't have too many bad things to say about Kirk's term, and even though I am very proud when he stands up to the far right tendencies of the GOP (like these recent gun votes), I will be voting for Duckworth this November (although maybe not because I might be registered in Michigan as of next week). I can't get over how pro-war Kirk is and how against the Iran deal he is. That is enough of a dealbreaker for me to strongly support a very qualified Democrat.

Bonuses: Voted for Quinn in 2010 and 2014. 2010 was clearly because Brady was too far right socially for me, even though I am pro-life. 2014 because I felt Quinn really is the People's Pat, while Rauner is fighting for his rich self and buddies. We also accomplished a lot under Quinn that I have been really proud of. I would love to see him kick Rauner out in 2018.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 07:48:33 PM »

While I don't have too many bad things to say about Kirk's term, and even though I am very proud when he stands up to the far right tendencies of the GOP (like these recent gun votes), I will be voting for Duckworth this November (although maybe not because I might be registered in Michigan as of next week). I can't get over how pro-war Kirk is and how against the Iran deal he is. That is enough of a dealbreaker for me to strongly support a very qualified Democrat.

You should stay registered in Illinois. You can vote at any one address that you receive mail at. #KeepIllinoisBlue
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 10:40:06 PM »

You should stay registered in Illinois. You can vote at any one address that you receive mail at. #KeepIllinoisBlue

I won't be in Michigan forever, but my dad is running for township board. It is a competitive primary that he really needs my vote in. Good news is that I am working on my fiancee for voting Dem for the first time in her life!
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 11:57:23 PM »

I won't be in Michigan forever, but my dad is running for township board. It is a competitive primary that he really needs my vote in. Good news is that I am working on my fiancee for voting Dem for the first time in her life!

If any candidate can force it, it is Trump
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies