Sen. Jeff Merkley booed after urging Democrats to unite behind Clinton.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:24:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sen. Jeff Merkley booed after urging Democrats to unite behind Clinton.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Sen. Jeff Merkley booed after urging Democrats to unite behind Clinton.  (Read 1206 times)
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:40:08 PM »
« edited: June 19, 2016, 10:14:43 PM by Mr. Morden »

The Green Tea Party strikes again!

Apparently a chorus of boos erupted against Sanders supporter Sen. Jeff Merkely after he announced he would be supporting Hillary Clinton and urged fellow democrats to do at the State Convention in order to unify the party in the general election.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/politics-government/article84598517.html#storylink=cpy

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »

“He sold out,” said Michelle McClure, 35, a Tacoma resident.

"Damn that man for eventually supporting the candidate who won the popular vote, the most pledged delegates and the most superdelegates. Damn him! This isn't what democracy is about! Democracy is about getting what I want no matter what!"
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »

"Damn that man for eventually supporting the candidate who won the popular vote, the most pledged delegates and the most superdelegates. Damn him! This isn't what democracy is about! Democracy is about getting what I want no matter what!"
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 09:16:19 PM »

Some of these Sanders supporters are even more delusional than I thought. You lost, get over it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »

Remember, not once have Sanders and his campaign condemned the behavior of these hooligans.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 09:18:04 PM »

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 09:19:12 PM »

Remember, not once have Sanders and his campaign condemned the behavior of these hooligans.
As much as I dislike the Bernie Bros, that's not entirely true. Though he was definitely ineffective.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 09:59:22 PM »

Agreed. You don't see Clinton supporters throwing these kinds of shenanigans in the news. It's 99% of the time the Bernie Bros.

The Clinton people are too busy scrambling to deal with the rise of purity tests that crippled their Republican foes.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 10:09:47 PM »

Let's be honest, it's not like the Clinton supporters here can accept that the primaries are over either.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 10:12:41 PM »

The only thing that Clinton can do to unify the party is to concede the nomination to Sanders, at this point. Her supporters need Trump to lose more than his do. I'm all in favor of it. She'll go out as a saint, and proved all the accusations about her wrong, the Sanders people will be happy, and we can all move on.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 10:17:28 PM »

The only thing that Clinton can do to unify the party is to concede the nomination to Sanders, at this point. Her supporters need Trump to lose more than his do. I'm all in favor of it. She'll go out as a saint, and proved all the accusations about her wrong, the Sanders people will be happy, and we can all move on.

You are... definitely the most interesting Clinton supporter on this forum.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 10:22:39 PM »

Yes, but Hillary only needs to get half of these Bernie holdouts to win in PA/FL/other swing state (while the other half identify as "Somewhat Conservative")
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 10:29:18 PM »

Let's be honest, it's not like the Clinton supporters here can accept that the primaries are over either.

That's because, unfortunately, we need these f-cking idiots.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 10:32:42 PM »

Notice how the principled Sanders endorsers (Merkley, Grijalva) are uniting behind Clinton, unlike the opporunistic ones (Gabbard).
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 10:48:44 PM »

Merkley ought to be Clinton's running mate.  He's eminently sensible, a Sanders supporter, and Sanders would be hard pressed not to support the ticket if the only Senator who backed him were on it.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »

Not surprised at all. Nor should anyone who has witnessed the madness of the Bernie Bros on the internet be.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 11:20:44 PM »

I think it was sarcastic.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 11:40:32 PM »

"Green Tea Party" is my new favorite expression.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 11:43:53 PM »

"Green Tea Party" is my new favorite expression.

Sounds good. I would love to have a party where green tea is available.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 12:12:08 AM »

Merkley is the most progressive Senator from Oregon that I can remember in my lifetime, although obviously Mark Hatfield and Wayne Morse have special badges of honor for their principled stands regarding Vietnam, and overall support for all of the citizens of the great state of Oregon.

It is not at all surprising that Merkely has been met by a negative reception at the state party convention when calling for party unity behind Hillary in a state that overwhelmingly supported Bernie, before there have been any public announcements of negotiations between the Hillary and Bernie campaign that will move the party platform substantively to the Left on a ton of major issues.

This is in no way shape or form a repudiation of Merkley, who is actually extremely popular in Oregon that breaks the mold of Lib-Dem Portland insiders and actually grew up in a small mill town in Southern Oregon that speaks in the language of working-class voters (Being Oregon overwhelmingly White/Anglo).

Merkley has absolutely no fear of reelection defeat in Oregon whatsoever, nor is there any particular antipathy towards him from the Oregon Democratic base that voted almost 60% Bernie.

What it is a rejection of, is the perception of standard Washington DC Democratic Politics that shut down progressive voices.

Oregonians already support a $15/hr Minimum Wage/ Single Payer/ Gvt funded Pre-K/ legalized marijuana/ Major Federal policies changes in Global Warming and Environmental Regulations.

A large majority of Oregonians and Democrats in particular reject the neo-corportist/ Pro-War agenda that has been dominant within the party (DLC) at the Presidential level since Bill Clinton in '92 and are a bit upset that those voices are being railroaded to support the presumptive part nominee without having seen any real movement on the issues that we care about.

Merkley is cool, and will easily coast to reelection, and apparently the Bernie movement has not hit Wyden that hard in the primaries this season, but I could well envision a scenario where he faces a major primary challenge for his next run for office, if he is seen as part of the National Democratic Party Establishment, and not an independent voice representing Oregon.

Call this what you will, but is just noise. Oregon will be a safe "D" state in November, but Lib/Green will do very well on the margins and continue ballot-access.

I'm a Philly Eagles fan, so if we can't do a "Boo" once in awhile without people flipping, then we're not real fans. Smiley
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 12:24:13 AM »

Oregonians already support a $15/hr Minimum Wage/ Single Payer/ Gvt funded Pre-K/ legalized marijuana/ Major Federal policies changes in Global Warming and Environmental Regulations.

I support all of that, but I still voted for Clinton because I think she'd be a far better president. But my voice doesn't matter. Only Sanders' supporters voices matter.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 12:27:55 AM »

To me, this seems like an inside the beltway "mountains of molehills" scenario where you get some partisan hacks pushing a scenario of an "Oregon Dem Party Convention Riot" where no such scenario ever existed.

To any of you Hillary Supporting Democrats out there, do you really want party unity, or are you going to force the Oregon Democratic Party to fall to the whip and servitude of the "presumptive nominee"?

There was no violence of any type, physical nor verbal, just a massive spin on what is *our* party convention, when one of the most popular Democratic politicians in the state of Oregon, is met with a mixed reaction on his "party unity speech".

For real, why is this even a thread?Huh
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 12:28:43 AM »

I think it was sarcastic.

But this is Beet.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 12:29:15 AM »

I'm sure the booing people don't actually hate Merkley, just reacting like drunk sports fans at the mention of the hated word "Clinton."  If they seriously hold this against Merkley, MASSIVE HP.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 12:32:53 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies