SB 2016-004: Senate Rules and Procedures
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:18:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2016-004: Senate Rules and Procedures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 2016-004: Senate Rules and Procedures  (Read 1602 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2016, 09:22:01 AM »
« edited: September 25, 2016, 09:23:44 AM by Meme Magic »

- Should a bill be allowed to have multiple sponsors in the same house?  If we adopt the old Amendment rules, how should this affect the amendment process?

Theoretically speaking, you would need to have a primary or main sponsor would make decisions regarding the amendments, with all co-sponsors just being a formality. Otherwise it would get chaotic.

Tmth is right though, plus at points the number of bills might dip for a variety of reasons and thus refusing bills from another house on grounds of lack of sponsorship in the other one, would be counterproductive.

My main concern is that there seems to be little to facilitate direct coordination between members of both houses, besides select committees which have no legislative power.  Ideally, we would have conference committees to resolve differences between House and Senate versions of similar legislation, with the sponsors of each version of the bill overseeing the process.  Alas, I suppose that isn't quite tenable in a game of this nature. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »

- Should a bill be allowed to have multiple sponsors in the same house?  If we adopt the old Amendment rules, how should this affect the amendment process?

Theoretically speaking, you would need to have a primary or main sponsor would make decisions regarding the amendments, with all co-sponsors just being a formality. Otherwise it would get chaotic.

Tmth is right though, plus at points the number of bills might dip for a variety of reasons and thus refusing bills from another house on grounds of lack of sponsorship in the other one, would be counterproductive.

My main concern is that there seems to be little to facilitate direct coordination between members of both houses, besides select committees which have no legislative power.  Ideally, we would have conference committees to resolve differences between House and Senate versions of similar legislation, with the sponsors of each version of the bill overseeing the process.  Alas, I suppose that isn't quite tenable in a game of this nature. Tongue
That is what we have now. Though we need to improve the wording, if similar bills pass both houses at the same time, a conference committee convenes. I added it to the rules back in June. The issue right now is that constitutional wording limits how often that can occur, but I'm hoping to amend that section out.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »

It is very hard to get people to interact, but lack of such has been probably biggest flaw in this game. We have these institutions and natural inclination is for them to do their own thing as opposed to collaborating as a part of a system. I do think it is somewhat better than before, though perhaps that is mistaken view of the situation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies