Hypothetical: LeBron James v. Urban Meyer for OH Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:57:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Hypothetical: LeBron James v. Urban Meyer for OH Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who Wins?
Urban Meyer (R)

LeBron James (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Hypothetical: LeBron James v. Urban Meyer for OH Governor  (Read 1302 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:15:05 AM »

The year is 2026.

James retires from the NBA in 2018, 2 years after bringing greatness back to the city of Cleveland. Since his retirement, James has become active in politics, having been elected Mayor of Akron in 2019 on a platform centered around economic revitalization and racial justice. His gubernatorial platform is largely the same.

Meyer retires from coaching in 2020. While he initially planned to stay apolitical in 2016, Meyer openly endorsed Kasich toward the end of the now-former Governor's campaign. In his retirement, Meyer has mainly worked in investing but becomes increasingly political as the years go by. Meyer takes up the role of the compassionate conservative a la Kasich and Bush in his run for Governor.

Both candidates face skepticism about lack of experience. Meyer is expected to do better than the average Republican in Columbus, while LeBron is expected to boost the already reliable Democratic turnout in Cleveland-Akron.
President Rockefeller
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:36 AM »

If Lebron can boost minority turnout especially, yeah I say he takes it, as much as it pains me to say
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »

I think it would be hilarious if a Bubblicious spokesperson was governor.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »

The most interesting part about this to me:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.fearthesword.com/2015/10/6/9468715/ohio-governor-john-kasich-says-the-cavs-should-sign-allen-iverson
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »

Heh. Think of it this way: Ohio only has one NBA team to root for, so as far as basketball goes, the citizenry is united. The two NFL teams we have aren't so great and are geographically on other ends of the state. OSU is in central Ohio, and is basically considered a professional team, so it also serves as a uniter.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:59:25 PM »

Meyer voters already vote.

LeBron voters wouldn't vote without LeBron.

Ohio is a swing state with narrow margins. (if you run a candidate with a driver's license)

James/Sittenfeld for Ohio QED.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 12:44:31 PM »

Well considering the family of my close friend, where the family has DEEP loyalties to o$u and the mid-to-southern end of the state was very much against LeBron and seems to have no affection for Cleveland, it makes me think that it is not automatic that ohioans' nba loyalty lies with the Cavs; AND that o$u football is #1 in the state not basketball (this isn't Indiana, Kentucky, or Kansas), I feel that Urban Meyer would definitely beat LeBron.

Meyer (R) - 54%
James (D) - 46%
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 01:44:18 AM »

Well considering the family of my close friend, where the family has DEEP loyalties to o$u and the mid-to-southern end of the state was very much against LeBron and seems to have no affection for Cleveland, it makes me think that it is not automatic that ohioans' nba loyalty lies with the Cavs; AND that o$u football is #1 in the state not basketball (this isn't Indiana, Kentucky, or Kansas), I feel that Urban Meyer would definitely beat LeBron.

Meyer (R) - 54%
James (D) - 46%

This. Osu love trumps all, especially in central ohio. }ames can't swing enough of the NE to compensate
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 02:02:58 PM »

Heh. Think of it this way: Ohio only has one NBA team to root for, so as far as basketball goes, the citizenry is united. The two NFL teams we have aren't so great and are geographically on other ends of the state. OSU is in central Ohio, and is basically considered a professional team, so it also serves as a uniter.

You'd know more than I would, but I'm skeptical there are legions of Cavs fans in Cincinnati.  Certainly more than any other team, but I almost moved to Cincinnati around junior high, and during my visit I got the impression Cincinnati people very much viewed themselves as the crown jewel of OH and didn't much care for the rest of the state, specifically Cleveland.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 05:51:09 PM »

The greater Cincinnati area is not the region with which I'm most accustomed, but people all over the state went nuts last Sunday. It's not as if we've got another NBA team to root for. (If this was about the NFL, it'd be very different.)

Meyer (R) - 54%
James (D) - 46%

This. Osu love trumps all, especially in central ohio. }ames can't swing enough of the NE to compensate
It wouldn't be about a swing, it would be about boosting minority turnout to an unprecedented level.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »

The greater Cincinnati area is not the region with which I'm most accustomed, but people all over the state went nuts last Sunday. It's not as if we've got another NBA team to root for. (If this was about the NFL, it'd be very different.)

Meyer (R) - 54%
James (D) - 46%

It wouldn't be about a swing, it would be about boosting minority turnout to an unprecedented level.

Sorry, I meant "swing that big of a turnout boost" in NE OH. My point remains the same .
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »

Josh Mandel is running ads with Urbana Meyer promoting the Treasurer's office to remind voters that he exists before the 2018 Senate primaries.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies