Will Gary Johnson win Utah?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:25:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Gary Johnson win Utah?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will Gary Johnson win Utah?  (Read 2384 times)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:11:14 PM »

Since both major candidates won't sit well with the Mormon community?
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:11:49 PM »

Probably not, but I do think it will be his best state.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:13:24 PM »

Probably not, but I do think it will be his best state.

Agreed.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »

No, but in a perfect storm he could spoil it the way Perot spoiled Montana.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »

No. He may break 10%, but that's it.

My bet for Utah is TRUMP at 55%, Hilldog at 35% and Johnson at approx. 9-10%.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 01:47:45 PM »

No, but in a perfect storm he could spoil it the way Perot spoiled Montana.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »

No.

Johnson will not win Utah, nor will he win any other state.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 05:24:43 PM »

No.

Johnson will not win Utah, nor will he win any other state.

I bet you a high five Johnson will win something.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 05:27:51 PM »

Probably not. If he does really well in the state, he might prevent Trump from winning, but I don't think he can win the state himself.
Suck my caulk
DemocratforJillStein
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 08:17:38 PM »

Probably not. If he does really well in the state, he might prevent Trump from winning, but I don't think he can win the state himself.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 08:19:20 PM »

No, very unlikely the most I think he would get is 15%, more likely he gets around 8%-10%. 
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2016, 08:50:37 PM »

Unless something changes, yes.  The Republican Party is gradually abandoning Trump, and by November it will only be worse.  Johnson wins 35-33-32.  That is unless Trump loses at the convention, which looks likely.
DS0816
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 10:49:35 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2016, 10:57:10 PM by DS0816 »

Third-party candidates who manage to carry any states typically impact the map in states which are bases for the party to which that third-party nominee comes across as an Alternative Republican or Alternative Democrat.

Consider:

• 1912: Progressive Party nominee, and former Republican president, Teddy Roosevelt flips six states which backed, in 1908, incumbent Republican president William Howard Taft: California, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, and Washington. All of losing 1908 Democratic nominee William Jennings Bryan’s states logically carry for 1912 Democratic pickup winner Woodrow Wilson before he flips 1908 Republican Taft states—leaving a disastrously unseated Taft (who ends up with just two states—Utah and Vermont).

• 1948: States Rights candidate Strom Thurmond, not happy with the Democratic Party, carries base states for the party which include Thurmond’s home state South Carolina plus Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. President Harry Truman wins a full-term election anyway, in a Democratic hold (the fifth consecutive for that party), and becomes the first Democrat elected without having carried those states.

• 1968: With exception of South Carolina, American Independent George Wallace wins the same states as carried 20 years earlier by Thurmond…along with Arkansas and Georgia. 1968 marks a Republican presidential realigning period with election of Richard Nixon, whose Old Confederacy states, among his total 32, were carriage of Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

I would anticipate that the next time a third-party nominee brings a color, other than red or blue, to the electoral map…will do so in states which are bases for Republicans or Democrats. That, for a particular election cycle, such base states would be rejecting the nominated Republican or Democrat.

This thread’s question is good. Along with Utah, I would consider Idaho and Wyoming—two more companion states—for discussing Libertarian Gary Johnson and Election 2016.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 11:42:15 PM »

Third-party candidates who manage to carry any states typically impact the map in states which are bases for the party to which that third-party nominee comes across as an Alternative Republican or Alternative Democrat.

Consider:

• 1912: Progressive Party nominee, and former Republican president, Teddy Roosevelt flips six states which backed, in 1908, incumbent Republican president William Howard Taft: California, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, and Washington. All of losing 1908 Democratic nominee William Jennings Bryan’s states logically carry for 1912 Democratic pickup winner Woodrow Wilson before he flips 1908 Republican Taft states—leaving a disastrously unseated Taft (who ends up with just two states—Utah and Vermont).

• 1948: States Rights candidate Strom Thurmond, not happy with the Democratic Party, carries base states for the party which include Thurmond’s home state South Carolina plus Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. President Harry Truman wins a full-term election anyway, in a Democratic hold (the fifth consecutive for that party), and becomes the first Democrat elected without having carried those states.

• 1968: With exception of South Carolina, American Independent George Wallace wins the same states as carried 20 years earlier by Thurmond…along with Arkansas and Georgia. 1968 marks a Republican presidential realigning period with election of Richard Nixon, whose Old Confederacy states, among his total 32, were carriage of Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

I would anticipate that the next time a third-party nominee brings a color, other than red or blue, to the electoral map…will do so in states which are bases for Republicans or Democrats. That, for a particular election cycle, such base states would be rejecting the nominated Republican or Democrat.

This thread’s question is good. Along with Utah, I would consider Idaho and Wyoming—two more companion states—for discussing Libertarian Gary Johnson and Election 2016.

That line of thinking also seems to work for a hypothetical Bernie run. He'd do well in Vermont, which is part of the mythical freiwal.

What do you think about Alaska? It's been trending D for a while and has voted in high percentages for past Libertarian candidates. I think it could still be considered a base state for Reublicans though.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 12:09:46 AM »

No, but if he does well enough, Hillary would come up the middle and win the state.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »

Stop.

Johnson won’t win UT. Or any other state.
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 10:51:30 AM »

Well, one thing is certain: this will be the best Libertarian showing ever.
DS0816
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »

Consider:

That line of thinking also seems to work for a hypothetical Bernie run. He'd do well in Vermont, which is part of the mythical freiwal.

What do you think about Alaska? It's been trending D for a while and has voted in high percentages for past Libertarian candidates. I think it could still be considered a base state for Reublicans though.

No.

Pick a regular base state for Democrats.

That is the pattern over the last 100 years (make it 104 with the election of 1912).

And, I will note, that Teddy Roosevelt managed to garner over 25 percent of the vote nationwide—ranking second over the unseated William Howard Taft. The other two—Strom Thurmond and George Wallace—had much less support nationally. And their carried states, with Georgia an exception for Wallace, were single-digit electoral-vote states. Teddy did better.

My theory is that a third-party candidate would have to get about 30 percent of the U.S. Popular Vote in order to carry any one state which ranks among the Top 10 in population.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »

What exactly about Johnson would appeal to Utahns?
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »

No, but I could see him finishing second in Summit County.
john cage bubblegum

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 11:25:36 AM »

I doubt it, but I hope he's really competitive there.  I'd love to see a legit three-way race for a state for the first time since '92.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 11:39:50 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2016, 11:41:48 AM by 5280 »

He hiked the tallest peaks on all 7 continents, hiked Mt Everest with a broken leg, he's a triathlon athlete. He'll appeal to a lot of outdoors men people in National Parks, fitness voters and yoga women.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 04:23:56 PM »

He hiked the tallest peaks on all 7 continents, hiked Mt Everest with a broken leg, he's a triathlon athlete. He'll appeal to a lot of outdoors men people in National Parks, fitness voters and yoga women.

Utah is around 90% urban.
Human
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 04:28:34 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2016, 04:34:02 PM by Human »

Most likely not.

Johnson is too socially liberal for most of the Mormons in Utah. A lot of Mormons will not vote for someone whose pro-choice, pro-marijuana legalization, etc. Sure, there will be quite a few Mormons who will vote for Johnson out of disgust of the other two candidate, but I think that most of them will end up voting for Donald Trump. A majority of Mormons who despise Donald Trump will eventually end up voting for him as a lesser of three evils.

I predict that the results in Utah will look something like this:
Donald Trump: 52%
Hillary Clinton: 35%
Gary Johnson: 10%
Other: 3%

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies