Utah being a competitive state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:42:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Utah being a competitive state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Utah being a competitive state  (Read 1084 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2016, 05:19:27 PM »

P2016 UT (Salt Lake Tribune): Trump 35%, Clinton 35%, Johnson 13%.

What do you guys think? I think Donald Trump is in trouble if Utah could even be within striking distance for Hillary Clinton.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 05:29:58 PM »

If it is, I really think it's more to do with how well Johnson does than how well Hillary does.   I don't find Hillary Clinton to be a good fit for Utah either...even for a Democrat.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »

It's more a sign of Mormons in general rather than a commentary on mainstream American views on Trump.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:06:28 PM »

I'm gonna predict it right now: if more and more polls show Utah trending towards a toss-up, Trump will, in his frustration, say something offensive about Mormons that will exacerbate his problems there.
Curbstomp
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 07:07:04 PM »

Yeah, let's make it interesting and have Utah go Democrat while Michigan and PA go Republican. It'll make a change from the vast majority of states being safe D or R
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:15:32 PM »

I'm gonna predict it right now: if more and more polls show Utah trending towards a toss-up, Trump will, in his frustration, say something offensive about Mormons that will exacerbate his problems there.

I'm hoping he'll mention the Mountain Meadows Massacre. That would really make the Mormons mad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:13:10 PM »

I'm hoping he'll mention the Mountain Meadows Massacre. That would really make the Mormons mad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre

Donald Trump is unaware of any events that occurred before Donald Trump.  Except some vague notion that a "greatest generation" "brought freedom to the world" and "made America great."
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »

Well, he already called Mitt Romney (praise be unto him) a "loser", which made my fellow Mormons pretty mad. I imagine he could call us cultists or make polygamy jokes, which would solidify his defeat in Utah.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 01:38:21 AM »

My gut tells me that this won't be the case, and that the polls aren't catching Utah's inherent Republicanism. But then again, many didn't really believe Trump's lead in the polls until he actually won primaries. Maybe Utah will continue looking like this in the polls, and then those might come true on Election Day.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 10:30:39 AM »

Do any of you guys think Johnson might be able to win Utah if Romney endorses him? Mormons are clearly disgusted with Trump, polling from Utah is showing very high undecideds, and Johnson would only need about 35% to win in a three-way race.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 12:00:25 PM »

Do any of you guys think Johnson might be able to win Utah if Romney endorses him? Mormons are clearly disgusted with Trump, polling from Utah is showing very high undecideds, and Johnson would only need about 35% to win in a three-way race.

Johnson probably would win Utah with a Romney endorsement since he is quite well liked there. A Romney endorsement could also be the start of many prominent members of the Never-Trump movement backing Johnson.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies