Is 2016 the greatest sports years of the century so far?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:11:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Is 2016 the greatest sports years of the century so far?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is 2016 the greatest sports years of the century so far?  (Read 532 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2016, 07:10:22 PM »
« edited: June 20, 2016, 07:11:55 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I'm really, really struggling to find one with more storylines since I've followed.

1) Cleveland curse is broken by the hometown hero in an incredibly unlikely turnaround in a game for the ages.
2) 2nd greatest NCAAB title game of all-time with a winner having a historical 4-year turnaround of up-and-downs led by the senior hometown hero.
3) Peyton Manning goes out a champion (albeit in a rather dull fashion).
4) Leicester City overcome massive odds to run away with the Premier League.
5) Warriors break the regular seasons wins record.
6) UConn NCAAW dynasty concludes the first ever 4-peat.
7) Saban's 5th title (4 in 7 years - bests any stretch by the Bear) - cementing modern Alabama as the greatest dynasty in NCAAF history.
Cool UNC lax is the first unseeded team ever to take the title, defeating #1 in OT in the title game.

The first 7 deserve obvious 30-for-30 episodes. The 8th would have potential with the growth of the sport. When else can we claim that much history?

Tennis has been rather dull thus far, especially after the last US Open, but we still have time. Hockey and Wrestling haven't given us all too much at any level. Champions Cup/La Liga were OK.

I guess we'll see soon if college baseball or Euro or the Olympics yield even more great stories soon. (The Cubs might be another one if they can get through October.)

That gets us back to the question - is it the best? I can't think of a year as immortal as this has been. Recent stuff has been full of "almosts" - undefeated Kentucky, Serena losing the Open, Patriot imperfection (which was still fantastic) - which can be entertaining, but these are not "almosts"...these are the real deal. Anyone care to counter if I am suffering from poor memory and short-termism?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 07:20:09 PM »

You do make a good argument. I can't necessarily think of a better year off the top of my head.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 08:15:56 PM »

It's been one of the worst years in recent memory... what are you on?  Many of those events have upset me greatly.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 08:29:20 PM »

It's been one of the worst years in recent memory... what are you on?  Many of those events have upset me greatly.

Fine, to replace subjectivity - "most historic"

Happy?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »

Fine, to replace subjectivity - "most historic"

Happy?

Happy now, carry on.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »

2008?

-First 2-loss FBS champion
-Spain breaks a 44 year title drought in the Euros
-Four #1's make it to the Final Four, and the NCG goes to overtime.
-Pat Summit's last championship.
-Fresno State won the CWS
-25 year Philadelphia curse is broken in two day final World Series game against a Cinderella
-The Patriots perfect season is broken
-Phelps breaks the record for most golds in a single Olympics
-The Celtics return to glory after beating the Lakers in the finals
-2008 Wimbeldon Final between Federer and Nadal
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »

2008 was the one I did consider - Kansas, Fresno, Phelps, and the Patriots were on my radar. Did not consider Pat Summit strongly enough. Not quite sure the rest are quite up to that level, but maybe the Phillies were big enough. Good call.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 11:58:01 PM »

It will totally depend on the Cubs, obviously!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 09:38:32 AM »

Not a single Canadian team in the NHL playoffs? No. Not even close to the greatest year in sports, for that reason alone. Also, Las Vegas is getting an expansion franchise and not Quebec City. So, that too.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »

I agree with Hatman, it is a travesty that Vegas gets a team and not Quebec. But, Sprouts, at the end of the day, is right. 2016 is easily one of the most eventful years in sports.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »

2008?

-First 2-loss FBS champion
-Spain breaks a 44 year title drought in the Euros
-Four #1's make it to the Final Four, and the NCG goes to overtime.
-Pat Summit's last championship.
-Fresno State won the CWS
-25 year Philadelphia curse is broken in two day final World Series game against a Cinderella
-The Patriots perfect season is broken
-Phelps breaks the record for most golds in a single Olympics
-The Celtics return to glory after beating the Lakers in the finals
-2008 Wimbeldon Final between Federer and Nadal

This
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 01:33:12 PM »

I'm really, really struggling to find one with more storylines since I've followed.

1) Cleveland curse is broken by the hometown hero in an incredibly unlikely turnaround in a game for the ages.
2) 2nd greatest NCAAB title game of all-time with a winner having a historical 4-year turnaround of up-and-downs led by the senior hometown hero.
3) Peyton Manning goes out a champion (albeit in a rather dull fashion).
4) Leicester City overcome massive odds to run away with the Premier League.
5) Warriors break the regular seasons wins record.
6) UConn NCAAW dynasty concludes the first ever 4-peat.
7) Saban's 5th title (4 in 7 years - bests any stretch by the Bear) - cementing modern Alabama as the greatest dynasty in NCAAF history.
Cool UNC lax is the first unseeded team ever to take the title, defeating #1 in OT in the title game.

The first 7 deserve obvious 30-for-30 episodes. The 8th would have potential with the growth of the sport. When else can we claim that much history?

Tennis has been rather dull thus far, especially after the last US Open, but we still have time. Hockey and Wrestling haven't given us all too much at any level. Champions Cup/La Liga were OK.

I guess we'll see soon if college baseball or Euro or the Olympics yield even more great stories soon. (The Cubs might be another one if they can get through October.)

That gets us back to the question - is it the best? I can't think of a year as immortal as this has been. Recent stuff has been full of "almosts" - undefeated Kentucky, Serena losing the Open, Patriot imperfection (which was still fantastic) - which can be entertaining, but these are not "almosts"...these are the real deal. Anyone care to counter if I am suffering from poor memory and short-termism?

Um the Patriots set the record for most wins in the regular season just like the warriors did and both failed in the Postseason
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »

I would argue 2004 as well

1. Curse of Bambino is Broken which included first team in sports history to come back from a 3-0 defict

2. Pistons upset the heavily favored Lakers which breaks up their dynasty

3. Micheal Phelps comes on to the world stage winning 6 golds

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »

Probably the best for Basketball IMO.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 02:07:06 PM »

overall yes, but the 2013 NBA Finals>2016 Finals despite the fact that the heat won
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 07:56:08 PM »

2001 = GORAN which frankly trumps everything else in the history of sport. I am prepared to get involved an actual fight over this.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 10:36:34 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2016, 10:46:00 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

2001 = GORAN which frankly trumps everything else in the history of sport. I am prepared to get involved an actual fight over this.

A good call, and yes, one of my favorite events, but Fresno State 2008 is effectively in the same class. Completely unparalleled, something no one could have ever foretold, and something that will almost certainly never happen again. A Bleacher Report slideshow ranked Fresno at the 19th best upset and Goran as 26th. I disagree with a lot of the in-betweens because there were meaningless single events, but they are in the same mold any way you slice it. (2001 World Series being iconic helps the year's case, but the 2008 list is still quite long.)

RealClearSports has these two events as the two lowest seeds to ever win a championship as well (however they measure between sports...) - http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/lowest_seeds_to_win_championship/2008_fresno_state.html?state=stop

Very difficult to separate perhaps the two most improbable tournament runs to a championship ever.
And to be sure, I dislike Fresno quite a bit!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 03:18:12 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2016, 03:35:06 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Sorry to bump, but for your consideration - Coastal Carolina is 3 outs away from joining the ranks of collegiate national champions. I can't recall a time in my lifetime when a school's first ever individual or team NCAA championship was in a revenue sport (outside FCS football perhaps). This 17 game World Series where they faced eliminated IIRC four 5 times is probably one of the most memorable as well to add to the great 'mid-major' story for a rapidly rising school. I thought UVA-Vandy Part 3 would be this year's potential big moment, but we got something even better. A huge turning point in the school's history that we will always look back to. And this may barely make the top 10.

[Speaking of FCS, I realize I failed to mention North Dakota State's ridiculous 5-peat even if the 4th to break the consecutive record and would-be 6th to tie the all-time record are much more important. Still a great dynasty led by a clearly elite player.)

I also hear that golf thing was pretty from just about everyone, but I don't follow.

We may be ranking 20 insane championships by year's end! (I know we all hope Iceland will increase our burden Tongue)

e: KNOCK ON WOOD! KNOCK ON WOOD!

e2: CHANTICLEERS WIN IT ALL! CHANTICLEERS WINS IT ALL! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY, THE CHANTICLEERS ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF COLLEGE BASEBALL IN SUPER-DRAMATIC FASHION!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 04:25:36 PM »

no tbh

lacrosse, hockey, basketball, all trash
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 07:21:30 PM »

Can we ban 13 year olds from posting on this forum please
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 07:56:26 PM »

I don't think there are any 13 year olds on this forum anymore (at least not any admitted ones).
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »

And meanwhile college football has never been worse. Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies